VideoHelp Forum
+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 9
1 2 3 ... LastLast
Thread
  1. 4k resolution passthrough , screen size is not important,
    HDMI port
    video card that is above average in it its range for support on HDR 10 passthrough/HEVC
    O/S supports HDR10 passthrough would be a plus, but if not possible I can work around it.
    -don't play video games, but do watch high end film, so not the best processor is needed but like I said above average.
    no software needed
    1-5 tb , i don't have any other spec requests, so the less I spend on what I need/want the better. I trust your suggestions.

let me know if you want to build me a laptop
    Last edited by Baldrick; 9th Jun 2021 at 11:06. Reason: New title
    Quote Quote  
  2. Member
    Search Comp PM
    I recently looked at a ThinkPad X1 Carbon Gen 8 laptop on Lenovo's website that can be configured with Windows 10 Pro 64, an i5-10210U Comet Lake mobile CPU, 16 GB RAM, a 1TB PCIe SSD, and a 14-inch 4K Dolby-Vision-certified 500 nit display. Dolby Vision probably only works for streaming, but running Windows 10, the processor graphics would support HDR-10. I looked at the user guide/manual. It doesn't mention SGX, so I don't know for sure that the motherboard BIOS supports enabling/disabling SGX imanually to allow UHD Blu-ray to be played from an external UHD Blu-ray drive. It was not inexpensive. It cost about $1940 on sale and building + shipping takes 12 weeks.

[Edit] Generic user manual for the ThinkPad X1 Carbon Gen 8 laptop: https://download.lenovo.com/pccbbs/mobiles_pdf/x1_yoga_g5_x1_carbon_g8_ug_en.pdf

I just looked at the HDMI video output on the laptop, and it's only HDMI 1.4, which means this laptop is not a great choice if you intend to connect it to a 4K TV.
    Last edited by usually_quiet; 7th May 2021 at 17:00.
    Ignore list: hello_hello, tried, TechLord, Snoopy329
    Quote Quote  
  3. Originally Posted by usually_quiet View Post
    I recently looked at a ThinkPad X1 Carbon Gen 8 laptop on Lenovo's website that can be configured with Windows 10 Pro 64, an i5-10210U Comet Lake mobile CPU, 16 GB RAM, a 1TB PCIe SSD, and a 14-inch 4K Dolby-Vision-certified 500 nit display. Dolby Vision probably only works for streaming, but running Windows 10, the processor graphics would support HDR-10. I looked at the user guide/manual. It doesn't mention SGX, so I don't know for sure that the motherboard BIOS supports enabling/disabling SGX in the BIOS to allow UHD Blu-ray to be played from an external UHD Blu-ray drive. I was not inexpensive. It cost about $1940 on sale and building + shipping takes 12 weeks.
    Wow inflation is something, it just went up $140, I was hoping it would go down by $800. What do you think of this?

A) cheap ass $50 android player - bad support from chinese
    manufacturers
    B) good 100$ player ( like OSMC vero 4k+ ) - very good support - linux
    os
    C) good 200$ nvidia shield 4k 2019 - shit support but fastest -
    android
    D) build a 250$ HTPC even with a cheap CPU with APU like the AMD
    200GE
    >windows 10
    E) buy a nvidia 1030 for 150$ add it to your current PC

I need 2 laptops or another laptop/desktop. I don't know why anyone needs HTPC. I had to Google to understand what it was. i guess it's just cheaper and smaller? I could use that. If you built it, i could pay you on Ebay or such. i dont feel like racking my brain. This is another person' suggestion.
    Quote Quote  
  4. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Originally Posted by forsure View Post

Wow inflation is something, it just went up $140, I was hoping it would go down by $800. What do you think of this?

manufacturers
    os
    android
    200GE
    >windows 10

I need 2 laptops or another laptop/desktop. I don't know why anyone needs HTPC. I had to Google to understand what it was. i guess it's just cheaper and smaller? I could use that. If you built it, i could pay you on Ebay or such. i dont feel like racking my brain. This is another person' suggestion.

I will look at the media players you mentioned. According to the specs, a NVIDIA GT 1030 can decode VP9 and HEVC and should support HDR10.

HTPCs can be smaller but they aren't necessarily cheaper. I plan on re-using cables, a case, a PSU, storage drives, and a UHD Blu-ray drive that I already have when I update my HTPC so it can play UHD Blu-ray but it will probably cost $700+ to upgrade even so. There are very strict technical requirements to be met if the goal is UHD Blu-ray playback from the original discs.

I'm sorry but I don't feel comfortable building a desktop for someone else.

P..S. I always reject friend requests because I dislike social media and its conventions.
    Last edited by usually_quiet; 7th May 2021 at 21:04.
    Quote Quote  
  5. Originally Posted by usually_quiet View Post

manufacturers
    os
    android
    200GE
    >windows 10

I will look at the media players you mentioned. According to the specs, a NVIDIA GT 1030 can decode VP9 and HEVC and should support HDR10.

HTPCs can be smaller but they aren't necessarily cheaper. I plan on re-using cables, a case, a PSU, storage drives, and a UHD Blu-ray drive that I already have when I update my HTPC so it can play UHD Blu-ray but it will probably cost $700+ to upgrade even so. There are very strict technical requirements to be met if the goal is UHD Blu-ray playback from the original discs.

I'm sorry but I don't feel comfortable building a desktop for someone else.

P..S. I always reject friend requests because I dislike social media and its conventions.
    I still don't get why you need the Htpc? Why can't you just use a UHD brplayer straight to your tv or AVR? It seems only necessary to store files, not original disks.

I don't understand the difference in C vs E in the specs I listed. Is that a choice or do I need both? I don't have the patience or know how to build anything.

According to local builder " high end video cards are not available for purchase right now. This isn't exactly social media. More of a way to learn and teach. You do realize that THEY had the technology for a cell phone when the first tower went up. Marketing is bologna. Now with True Black I see less and not to mention the a/r of most blue rays with black walls.I realize it has to do with Directors intent, but still I think one standard in best format is good enough. Black is not even a color. ArtificiAlly maybe.
    Last edited by forsure; 8th May 2021 at 07:04.
    Quote Quote  
  6. If you're considering a standalone media player look at the latest (introduced about 6 months ago) Chromecast with Google TV. It's the best value (US$50) at this time if you can access all your media via WiFi. About the only thing it doesn't have is AV1 decoding.
    Quote Quote  
  7. Originally Posted by jagabo View Post
    If you're considering a standalone media player look at the latest (introduced about 6 months ago) Chromecast with Google TV. It's the best value (US$50) at this time if you can access all your media via WiFi. About the only thing it doesn't have is AV1 decoding.
    I see it lists AV1 decoding in PotPlayer. Am I going to miss anything without this? So this "adapter" will stream my files via wifi from my one pc? No factors of video cards needed to play high end video better?
    Quote Quote  
  8. Originally Posted by forsure View Post
    Originally Posted by jagabo View Post
    If you're considering a standalone media player look at the latest (introduced about 6 months ago) Chromecast with Google TV. It's the best value (US$50) at this time if you can access all your media via WiFi. About the only thing it doesn't have is AV1 decoding.
    I see it lists AV1 decoding in PotPlayer. Am I going to miss anything without this?
    If you have to ask, then no, at least not for a while. But no other standalone player supports AV1 decoding now either, just PCs. AV1 is a royalty free, next generation (after HEVC/h.265, VP9) codec supported by Google, Intel, Microsoft, NetFlix, Amazon, etc that was finalized about a year ago. There's not much AV1 content yet but there probably will be in the future.

So this "adapter" will stream my files via wifi from my one pc?
    Yes. I use Kodi (installable from the Google Play Store) to access videos on a NAS share (a cheap Windows computer in a closet).

No factors of video cards needed to play high end video better?
    It's self contained. It's biggest shortcoming is it doesn't have a USB port for an external drive (the single USB port is used to power the device). If you want to attach a USB device you have to get an external USB hub with Power Delivery and a beefier power supply. The remote is a bit skimpy. See the many review/tip videos at youtube.
    Quote Quote  
  9. Member
    Search Comp PM
    I still don't get why you need the Htpc? Why can't you just use a UHD brplayer straight to your tv or AVR? It seems only necessary to store files, not original disks.
    Oh, I have lots of files too. The HTPC is primarily my PVR for cable TV and someday maybe for over-the-air broadcast TV again. I already have a UHD Blu-ray player but it is currently used with a different TV. I bought it a month ago when the old Blu-ray player died.

I don't understand the difference in C vs E in the specs I listed. Is that a choice or do I need both?
    "differences in C vs E" in the specs relating to what features specifically?

I have the Chrome with Google TV too. I use it in conjunction with an Android app for my PVR program on the HTPC to wirelessly stream live cable TV and recordings stored on the HTPC to my bedroom TV. I have not tried it for 4K yet so I don't know how it performs.
    Last edited by usually_quiet; 8th May 2021 at 10:48.
    Quote Quote  
  10. Originally Posted by usually_quiet View Post
    Oh, I have lots of files too. The HTPC is primarily my PVR for cable TV and someday maybe for over-the-air broadcast TV again. I already have a UHD Blu-ray player but it is currently used with a different TV. I bought it a month ago when the old Blu-ray player died.

I don't understand the difference in C vs E in the specs I listed. Is that a choice or do I need both?
    "differences in C vs E" in the specs relating to what features specifically?

I have the Chrome with Google TV too. I use it in conjunction with an Android app for my PVR program on the HTPC to wirelessly stream live cable TV and recordings stored on the HTPC to my bedroom TV. I have not tried it for 4K yet so I don't know how it performs.
    See original post. C) vs E). They both are Nvidia. What is a shield? They are both graphic cards?
    Quote Quote  
  11. The Nvidia Shield is a standalone Android TV media player.
    https://www.nvidia.com/en-us/shield/
    Quote Quote  
  12. Originally Posted by jagabo View Post
    The Nvidia Shield is a standalone Android TV media player.
    https://www.nvidia.com/en-us/shield/

Ok here is my ideal situation. My pc with movie files is connected to 1080p tv upstairs. I use PotPlayer. It does not work 100% but it's "ok" for HDR and HEVC on either tv. If I were to buy this Chromecast, I could stream my files on network to downstairs 4k tv? My video card would not be a factor anymore for the streamed files downstairs? Would the HDR passthrough work now with Chromecast? Would the files upstairs still be able to play through AVR on downstairs tv with Chromecast.? Would I still need PotPlayer? With Chromecast what am I seeing on the screen ? i.e my pc, or only shared files? Am I using an included remote to access the tv screen or wireless keyboard? The only reference to Android that I know is for phones. I don't want to use a phone.
    Quote Quote  
  13. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Ok here is my ideal situation. My pc with movie files is connected to 1080p tv upstairs. I use PotPlayer. It does not work 100% but it's "ok" for HDR and HEVC on either tv. If I were to buy this Chromecast, I could stream my files on network to downstairs 4k tv? My video card would not be a factor anymore for the streamed files downstairs? Would the HDR passthrough work now with Chromecast? Would the files upstairs still be able to play through AVR on downstairs tv with Chromecast.? Would I still need PotPlayer? With Chromecast what am I seeing on the screen ? i.e my pc, or only shared files? Am I using an included remote to access the tv screen or wireless keyboard? The only reference to Android that I know is for phones. I don't want to use a phone.
    The video card installed in the PC with the movie files would not matter. The Chromecast with Google TV can play streamed files using one of the compatible Android apps from the Google Play Store. However, as is the case with any stand-alone media player, the Chromecast with Google TV can't play everything. As an example, my live and recorded TV shows need to be transcoded by the HTPC for streaming because the Chromecast doesn't play the 5.1 AC3 audio otherwise.

In addition, your home network needs to be up to the task of streaming the file wirelessly because the Chromecast with Google TV doesn't have an Ethernet port. An Ethernet port can be added via a Power + Ethernet USB C adapter sold by Google or a powered USB C hub with an Ethernet port. This USB C hub was recommended in one article about the Chromecast with GoogleTV that I read. I have also read other articles that recommended other docks.

[Edit] I forgot that USB C hubs can require more power than the Chromecast With Google TV's power adapter provides so people who buy a USB C hub may also need to buy a new USB C power adapter to plug into the wall to power all the devices attached to the USB C hub (including their Chromecast).
    Last edited by usually_quiet; 8th May 2021 at 21:26.
    Quote Quote  
  14. [QUOTE=usually_quiet;2618925]
    The video card installed in the PC with the movie files would not matter. The Chromecast with Google TV can play the streamed files using one of the compatible Android apps from the Google Play Store. However, as is the case with any stand-alone media player, the Chromecast with Google TV can't play everything. As an example, my live and recorded TV shows need to be transcoded by the HTPC for streaming because the Chromecast doesn't play the 5.1 AC3 audio otherwise.

In addition, your home network needs to be up to the task of streaming the file wirelessly because the Chromecast with Google TV doesn't have an Ethernet port. An Ethernet port can be added via a Power + Ethernet USB C adapter sold by Google or a powered USB C hub with an Ethernet port. This USB C hub was recommended in one article about the Chromecast with GoogleTV that I read. I have also read other articles that recommended other docks.
    My home network is decent at 28 mib/s. What do I need? My network is in the upstairs with the 1080p tv. It has to be in this bedroom due to what Xfininty says. So does that makes this a no go if I want the streaming on the downstairs 4k tv with the AVR? I can not run wires downstairs. I would say most of my files that I would be using this for are DTS-MA, DTHD+ Atmos, and DTS:X, all 2160p HDR (some).
    Quote Quote  
  15. Originally Posted by usually_quiet View Post
    my live and recorded TV shows need to be transcoded by the HTPC for streaming because the Chromecast doesn't play the 5.1 AC3 audio otherwise.
    Why is that? It's certainly capable of playing 5.1 AC3 via HDMI. Does your setup require S/PDIF?
    Last edited by jagabo; 8th May 2021 at 16:59.
    Quote Quote  
  16. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Originally Posted by usually_quiet View Post
    my live and recorded TV shows need to be transcoded by the HTPC for streaming because the Chromecast doesn't play the 5.1 AC3 audio otherwise.
    Why is that? It's certainly capable of playing 5.1 AC3 via HDMI. Does your setup require S/PDIF?
    S/PDIF isn't required by my recording setup. I'm using a Silicondust CableCARD tuner. The files are in the native ts format. The files recorded from cable-only channels with AVC/H.264 and ac3 lack audio when streamed directly to the Chromecast With Google TV. I haven't figured out what is wrong. The files recorded from the cable version of local broadcasters with MPEG-2 and AC3 play correctly.
    Last edited by usually_quiet; 8th May 2021 at 17:28.
    Quote Quote  
  17. Member
    Search Comp PM
    My home network is decent at 28 mib/s. What do I need? My network is in the upstairs with the 1080p tv. It has to be in this bedroom due to what Xfininty says. So does that makes this a no go if I want the streaming on the downstairs 4k tv with the AVR? I can not run wires downstairs. I would say most of my files that I would be using this for are DTS-MA, DTHD+ Atmos, and DTS:X, all 2160p HDR (some).
    I don't have a wired network either and I haven't tried streaming 4K yet so I don't really know if my own wireless network is good enough. I need to get a 4K TV first.
    Quote Quote  
  18. Originally Posted by forsure View Post
    28 Megabit/sec is a bit low for some 4K videos. I only have a few 4K HDR videos and the device is connected to a 32" 1080p SDR TV. The HDR videos with bitrates in the low 20's Mb/s (24p, 30p, and 60p) play properly with appropriate tone mapping. One 50p video at 70 Mb/s is unwatchable with all the buffering.
    Quote Quote  
  19. Member
    Search Comp PM
    S/PDIF isn't required by my recording setup. I'm using a Silicondust CableCARD tuner. The files are in the native ts format. The files recorded from cable-only channels with AVC/H.264 and ac3 lack audio when streamed directly to the Chromecast With Google TV. I haven't figured out what is wrong. The files recorded from the cable version of local broadcasters with MPEG-2 and AC3 play correctly.
    The NextPVR Android App is probably the problem, not the Chromecast. When I tried Kodi and VLC, both could play all the recordings with both audio and video.
    Quote Quote  
  20. Originally Posted by jagabo View Post
    28 Megabit/sec is a bit low for some 4K videos. I only have a few 4K HDR videos and the device is connected to a 32" 1080p SDR TV. The HDR videos with bitrates in the low 20's Mb/s (24p, 30p, and 60p) play properly with appropriate tone mapping. One 50p video at 70 Mb/s is unwatchable with all the buffering.
    I guess I can always return the $50 item. I should not have any problems with connecting to AVR if no actual HDMI wire to pc? Do I have to configure my pc differently then just being on the wifi and the google Chromecast being on the same?

Ok so it plugs into the tv via hdmi. From what I gathered I have to send it via Chrome to my downtairs tv. I can not access my pc via the chromecast on the downstairs 4k to get to upstairs pc? I would like to keep only computer on upstairs 1080p tv. Is this product going to be more of a pain or can I access my upstairs pc from the downstairs 4k tv that chromecast will be attached to?

I tried sending my desktop to the 4k Roku tv downstairs. It was able to find it on my pc , but would not connect. Roku Tv was configured to have wireless connection on same network. Do I have to have a Roku account? What source is the Roku going to show my pc on? After I set up network on Roku it keeps telling me to reset up Network after it tells me it's connected. It asks to register for Roku and if I back out of that screen it asks me to connect to internet again?
    Last edited by forsure; 10th May 2021 at 08:13.
    Quote Quote  
  21. Originally Posted by usually_quiet View Post
    I don't know if this is relevant but it might lead to your answer. I was not able to receive the multiple channels of AAC and AC3 through my AVR. It would not send 5.1 but 2.0 and then upmix it back to 5.1.2. I reconfigured the speaker settings on the pc and added a Dolby Atmos app dl from the web. After a restart on my now broken AVR the AAC and AC3 files decode properly. Input signal receives 5.1 on ac3 and aac rather than 2.0. Much difference. Don't ever really look for this format at all, it just happens to be on a lot of older movies.
    Quote Quote  
  22. [QUOTE=forsure;2619086]I should not have any problems with connecting to AVR if no actual HDMI wire to pc? Do I have to configure my pc differently then just being on the wifi and the google Chromecast being on the same?

Ok so it plugs into the tv via hdmi.
    Yes. Then set up the WiFi connection (WiFi name and password) via the Chromecast's user interface.

From what I gathered I have to send it via Chrome to my downtairs tv.
    No. You set up a network share on the PC (right click on a folder, select Properties, go to Sharing tab, etc.). That makes that folder (and all its sub-folders) available via WiFi. Any device capable of accessing Windows shares will be able access files in that folder. Then browse to that network share on the Chromecast, select a video, and play it.

I tried sending my desktop to the 4k Roku tv downstairs. It was able to find it on my pc , but would not connect. Roku Tv was configured to have wireless connection on same network. Do I have to have a Roku account? What source is the Roku going to show my pc on? After I set up network on Roku it keeps telling me to reset up Network after it tells me it's connected. It asks to register for Roku and if I back out of that screen it asks me to connect to internet again?
    Roku can't access network shares. I suspect you were using a DLNA client on the Roku -- which requires you are running a DLNA server on the PC, and the server be set up to access your video files. You then have all the problems of DLNA -- limited codec support, limited container support, etc.

There are many videos about the new Chromecast with Google TV at youtube. They will answer most of your questions.

https://www.youtube.com/results?search_query=chromecast+google+tv
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7sb9-NOxZlg

The new Chromecast with Google TV is very different than the earlier Chromecasts which had no user interface and required videos be sent to it from another device.
    Quote Quote  
  23. [QUOTE=jagabo;2619093]
    I should not have any problems with connecting to AVR if no actual HDMI wire to pc? Do I have to configure my pc differently then just being on the wifi and the google Chromecast being on the same?

Ok so it plugs into the tv via hdmi.
    Yes. Then set up the WiFi connection (WiFi name and password) via the Chromecast's user interface.

From what I gathered I have to send it via Chrome to my downtairs tv.
    No. You set up a network share on the PC (right click on a folder, select Properties, go to Sharing tab, etc.). That makes that folder (and all its sub-folders) available via WiFi. Any device capable of accessing Windows shares will be able access files in that folder. Then browse to that network share on the Chromecast, select a video, and play it.

Roku can't access network shares. I suspect you were using a DLNA client on the Roku -- which requires you are running a DLNA server on the PC, and the server be set up to access your video files. You then have all the problems of DLNA -- limited codec support, limited container support, etc.

There are many videos about the new Chromecast with Google TV at youtube. They will answer most of your questions.

https://www.youtube.com/results?search_query=chromecast+google+tv
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7sb9-NOxZlg

The new Chromecast with Google TV is very different than the earlier Chromecasts which had no user interface and required videos be sent to it from another device.
    That sounds pretty excellent so far with Chromecast and I just dl Kobi to play it. As far Roku, I was just trying to see my pc through BLuetooth or wireless/dock etc in windows to 4k Roku Tv downstairs. I should not need the actual Roku right? Why doesn't it connect, it does see it? Or am I just missing something? i thought it was just like a mirror, like Airplay. It does not matter I guess. i ordered the CGtv.

I could not tell if you answered the question concerning the AVR. How will that work if so? As well does this work the same way for music folders? Thanks a lot 2 both of u
    Last edited by forsure; 10th May 2021 at 09:46.
    Quote Quote  
  24. Member
    Search Comp PM
    I don't know if this is relevant but it might lead to your answer. I was not able to receive the multiple channels of AAC and AC3 through my AVR. It would not send 5.1 but 2.0 and then upmix it back to 5.1.2. I reconfigured the speaker settings on the pc and added a Dolby Atmos app dl from the web. After a restart on my now broken AVR the AAC and AC3 files decode properly. Input signal receives 5.1 on ac3 and aac rather than 2.0. Much difference. Don't ever really look for this format at all, it just happens to be on a lot of older movies.
    I don't have an AVR, so it isn't relevant. I found that VLC and Kodi can play the recordings via a network share with audio, so the NextPVR Android app appears to be the problem. Transcoding causes a 10 seconds delay before I can watch a live channel. It is a minor annoyance that I can live with.
    Last edited by usually_quiet; 10th May 2021 at 10:42.
    Quote Quote  
  25. Originally Posted by usually_quiet View Post
    I don't have an AVR, so it isn't relevant. I found that VLC and Kodi can play the recordings via a network share with audio, so the NextPVR Android app appears to be the problem. Transcoding causes a 10 seconds delay before I can watch the live channel. It is a minor annoyance that I can live with.
    I was reading the latest Kodi reviews, it has a lot of negatives about the update. Is there a specific I should go to or look for when getting the player with CGTV
    Quote Quote  
  26. Originally Posted by forsure View Post
    As far Roku, I was just trying to see my pc through BLuetooth or wireless/dock etc in windows to 4k Roku Tv downstairs... Why doesn't it connect, it does see it?
    Using what app? As far as I know all the media player apps use DLNA. You must have a DLNA server installed on the PC. A DLNA client installed on the Roku (The built in Media Player app is a DLNA client). The server must be set up to share the files you want to share. Your router must be configured to allow DLNA (UPNP) traffic (often disabled by default). And what exactly do you mean by "doesn't connect"?

I should not need the actual Roku right?
    For the Chromcast + Google TV? No.

I could not tell if you answered the question concerning the AVR. How will that work if so? As well does this work the same way for music folders? Thanks a lot 2 both of u
    How do you connect to the AVR now? If you're using HDMI pass through then you would plug the Chromecast into the AVR rather than the TV. If you're using HDMI's Audio Return Channel that should stay the same -- plug the Chromecast into the TV, use an HDMI cable from the TV (one of the HDMI ports that supports ARC) to the AVR. Or, if your TV has analog line out you can just run cables from the TF to the AVR's line in inputs.
    Quote Quote  
  27. Member
    Search Comp PM
    I don't have an AVR, so it isn't relevant. I found that VLC and Kodi can play the recordings via a network share with audio, so the NextPVR Android app appears to be the problem. Transcoding causes a 10 seconds delay before I can watch the live channel. It is a minor annoyance that I can live with.
    I was reading the latest Kodi reviews, it has a lot of negatives about the update. Is there a specific I should go to or look for when getting the player with CGTV
    I'm still in the process of figuring out what player is best myself.

I have used VLC for years with Windows. The Android app version of VLC has a slightly different user interface and slightly different features. The Windows version of VLC seems to be significantly better.

I tried Kodi as a PVR on Windows years ago but I found NextPVR to be simpler to use and set up for that purpose. However, Kodi seems to be the best player I have tried so far on the Chromecast With Google TV.

I have a Bluetooth keyboard with a trackpad that is compatible with Android and I sometimes find it helpful to use it in addition to the Chromecast's remote for some Android apps that were designed for a smart phone.
    Quote Quote  
  28. Originally Posted by jagabo View Post
    As far Roku, I was just trying to see my pc through BLuetooth or wireless/dock etc in windows to 4k Roku Tv downstairs... Why doesn't it connect, it does see it?
    Using what app? As far as I know all the media player apps use DLNA. You must have a DLNA server installed on the PC. A DLNA client installed on the Roku (The built in Media Player app is a DLNA client). The server must be set up to share the files you want to share. Your router must be configured to allow DLNA (UPNP) traffic (often disabled by default). And what exactly do you mean by "doesn't connect"?

I should not need the actual Roku right?
    For the Chromcast + Google TV? No.

How do you connect to the AVR now? If you're using HDMI pass through then you would plug the Chromecast into the AVR rather than the TV. If you're using HDMI's Audio Return Channel that should stay the same -- plug the Chromecast into the TV, use an HDMI cable from the TV (one of the HDMI ports that supports ARC) to the AVR. Or, if your TV has analog line out you can just run cables from the TF to the AVR's line in inputs.
    Can I use any hdmi source on the AVR for pass through to Chromecast? I don't have an AVR at the moment, it broke but yes pass through to cable source is the way it was to watch tv when AVR is off so if it will allow pass through to CGTV with another source? My last AVR only passed through for tv/cable purpose if i am thinking correctly?

As far as Roku I am confused. I did not mean to confuse you these are separate issues. I did not know I could cast my pc to tv , so was trying to figure out why it would not work? Do I have to register my cc to Roku to get the app and then pc will connect in Settings/Add BT or other device/ add a display wireless display or dock. I select the last option it sees my tv downstairs but says after trying to connect "can not connect". It made it seem simple to mirror the screen via web instructions.
    Last edited by forsure; 10th May 2021 at 11:25.
    Quote Quote  
  29. Originally Posted by usually_quiet View Post

I have used VLC for years with Windows. The Android app version of VLC has a slightly different user interface and slightly different features. The Windows version of VLC seems to be significantly better.

I tried Kodi as a PVR on Windows years ago but I found NextPVR to be simpler to use and set up for that purpose. However, Kodi seems to be the best player I have tried so far on the Chromecast With Google TV.

I have a Bluetooth keyboard with a trackpad that is compatible with Android and I sometimes find it helpful to use it in addition to the Chromecast's remote for some Android apps that were designed for a smart phone.
    Well if it works somewhere in between the consistency of MPC-hc and configurability/ tone mapping of PotPlayer then I will be a happy camper. I will reply back when it gets here. I have not read anything that Kodi supports 4k only 1080p.
    Last edited by forsure; 10th May 2021 at 12:12.
    Quote Quote  
  30. Originally Posted by usually_quiet View Post

I really don't feel like buying another AVR, it is all marketing bs. Any suggestions of what to do with speakers ( for use with same setup) if KODI works out?
    Quote Quote  
Visit our sponsor! Try DVDFab and backup Blu-rays!