VideoHelp Forum

Try NordVPN to access Netflix or other streaming services from any country and also surf safe!
+ Reply to Thread
Page 6 of 9
FirstFirst ... 4 5 6 7 8 ... LastLast
Thread
  1. Originally Posted by jagabo View Post
    Connect your computer to the router with an Ethernet cable. Turn off it's WiFi. Go to your router's admin pages and see what tools it has to monitor network traffic. Turn off all devices that might be using WiFi. See which device(s) makes a big change in network traffic.
    I am unable to log into Gateway. 10.0.0.1. Comcast escalated the call bc it was undeterminable inside gateway to them. The only thing I can think of is data transfer left over from Chromecast. That would mean Comcast is counting my streaming as data. Other than my pc, it's just 2 phones in the house and the disconnected CGTv. I don't know gateway username/pass
    Quote Quote  
  2. Originally Posted by jagabo View Post
    Originally Posted by forsure View Post
    Originally Posted by jagabo View Post
    I have my Chromecast powered by a power strip that automatically shuts off power when the TV is turned off. So it's freshly booted every time the TV is turned on. The disadvantage is that it takes about 1 minute to boot.
    So you don't have to toggle the switch on the power strip?
    The power strip senses when a master device is on by how much power is being consumed. It the automatically switches the power at the slave outlets based on that. I have the TV is connected to the master outlet, the Chromecast into one of the slave outlets. Here's one example of such a power strip:

https://www.amazon.com/Sunbeam-Advance-Outlet-Protector-Spaced/dp/B08LSXXG7R/

One thing to be aware of is that there must be enough difference in power draw between when the master device is off vs. on. Some power strips have a means of adjusting the threshold at which they switch -- a low/medium/high switch, a little screw pot, etc. But very low power devices can't be used as masters because the switch won't be able to tell if the device is off or on.

I like the remote, so I can just turn off the TV, but I guess unless I stop the movie, it's still using bandwidth, if it's not on?
    Yes, the Chromecast may continue streaming even when the TV is off. That's why I use the automatic power strip. I don't want the Chromecast to continue sucking up internet bandwidth all night because I forgot to stop streaming before the switching the TV off.
    I am considering this at the moment. Does it not become a nuisance when you just want to watch the tv, and not have CGTV boot up?
    Quote Quote  
  3. Originally Posted by forsure View Post
    Other than my pc, it's just 2 phones in the house and the disconnected CGTv.
    Then it's easy to check of the Chromecast is responsible for the data usage. Unplug the power and see if the data usage goes down.

I am unable to log into Gateway. 10.0.0.1.
    That's probably only the WiFi Gateway. It's not unusual for routers to block configuration and status monitoring over WiFi -- it's a security risk. That's why I suggested connecting the computer to the router with an Ethernet cable. The Ethernet gateway is probably at a different IP address. On most routers it's 192.168.1.1 or something like that. Open a CLI window and type "ipconfig" to see the computer's IP address and gateway.

Does it not become a nuisance when you just want to watch the tv, and not have CGTV boot up?
    The TV it's hooked up to isn't really used for anything else. In any case, it's less internet bandwidth used than leaving the Chromecast on all the time. The only nuisance is that it takes the Chromecast about 60 seconds to boot up.
    Quote Quote  
  4. Originally Posted by jagabo View Post
    Other than my pc, it's just 2 phones in the house and the disconnected CGTv.
    Then it's easy to check of the Chromecast is responsible for the data usage. Unplug the power and see if the data usage goes down.

I am unable to log into Gateway. 10.0.0.1.
    That's probably only the WiFi Gateway. It's not unusual for routers to block configuration and status monitoring over WiFi -- it's a security risk. That's why I suggested connecting the computer to the router with an Ethernet cable. The Ethernet gateway is probably at a different IP address. On most routers it's 192.168.1.1 or something like that. Open a CLI window and type "ipconfig" to see the computer's IP address and gateway.

Does it not become a nuisance when you just want to watch the tv, and not have CGTV boot up?
    The TV it's hooked up to isn't really used for anything else. In any case, it's less internet bandwidth used than leaving the Chromecast on all the time. The only nuisance is that it takes the Chromecast about 60 seconds to boot up.
    Ok well mine is on the main Tv used mostly for cable. Thanks those are good answers. I will just unplug, when not using.
    Quote Quote  
  5. Originally Posted by forsure View Post
    I will just unplug, when not using.
    Did you verify it was the Chromecast eating up all that data? Have you tried killing any apps that are running in the background?
    Quote Quote  
  6. Originally Posted by jagabo View Post
    I will just unplug, when not using.
    Did you verify it was the Chromecast eating up all that data? Have you tried killing any apps that are running in the background?
    I did not use Chromecast at all today. it has remained in same size - 1gb that I dl today off internet. So tonight I might watch a movie and see the data change tomorrow. It just refreshed for the month, so it's easier to track and not as much as an issue. I ordered that nice usb c hub. Mainly for my pc, cause I need one extra usb, might as well get one with ethernet for testing. The only extra app I have on CGTV is "Downloader", I would not think this would do anything in the background, would you?
    Quote Quote  
  7. It sounds like the Chromecast isn't responsible for most of your data usage.

But regarding the Chromecast, you can change the rate at which the screen saver changes images. Having it display the same image for 10 minutes or longer will cut down on the bandwidth it uses when idle.
    Quote Quote  
  8. Originally Posted by jagabo View Post
    It sounds like the Chromecast isn't responsible for most of your data usage.

But regarding the Chromecast, you can change the rate at which the screen saver changes images. Having it display the same image for 10 minutes or longer will cut down on the bandwidth it uses when idle.
    Well I will see tomorrow after this movie tonight. I am still having trouble streaming large bit rate files, although it is a good improvement. Do you think that on Kodi files or movie's that say " in progress", use up bandwidth of the current movie playing? Do you think it's the router distance? Is it possible to just connect the external hd where movies are to USB hub and CGTv able to read on Windows without HDD being connected to pc. That way d
    Files would bet closer to CGTv but still same distance from router for CGTv. Does that help or even possible?
    Quote Quote  
  9. Originally Posted by forsure View Post
    Do you think that on Kodi files or movie's that say " in progress", use up bandwidth of the current movie playing?
    No. Kodi just remembers where you left off when you stopped watching a movie or TV show. "In progress" is just telling you it can resume where you left off.

Do you think it's the router distance?
    Could be. Bring the Chromecast upstairs to your computer and plug it into the monitor next to the router. See if that makes any difference.

Is it possible to just connect the external hd where movies are to USB hub and CGTv able to read on Windows without HDD being connected to pc. That way d
    Files would bet closer to CGTv but still same distance from router for CGTv. Does that help or even possible?
    If the USB drive is plugged into the Chromecast's USB hub it won't be using WiFi to play the videos. From the few tests I've run, files that don't play via Ethernet also don't play from a thumb drive. The files I'm having problems with are all 4K HDR. I have even higher bitrate 4K (non-HDR) videos that play smoothly -- so bitrate alone isn't the problem. I believe Chromcast only supports FAT32 partitioned USB drives. I don't know if there are NTFS or ExFat drivers available.
    Quote Quote  
  10. Originally Posted by jagabo View Post
    Do you think that on Kodi files or movie's that say " in progress", use up bandwidth of the current movie playing?
    No. Kodi just remembers where you left off when you stopped watching a movie or TV show. "In progress" is just telling you it can resume where you left off.

Do you think it's the router distance?
    Could be. Bring the Chromecast upstairs to your computer and plug it into the monitor next to the router. See if that makes any difference.

Is it possible to just connect the external hd where movies are to USB hub and CGTv able to read on Windows without HDD being connected to pc. That way d
    If the USB drive is plugged into the Chromecast's USB hub it won't be using WiFi to play the videos. From the few tests I've run, files that don't play via Ethernet also don't play from a thumb drive. The files I'm having problems with are all 4K HDR. I have even higher bitrate 4K (non-HDR) videos that play smoothly -- so bitrate alone isn't the problem. I believe Chromcast only supports FAT32 partitioned USB drives. I don't know if there are NTFS or ExFat drivers available.
    Well last night went well on the data usage, same amount left after really large file being streamed. Maybe it was just a strange day(s). I shut off the CGTV right after, so I will continue.

Even if I move it upstairs I can't keep it there, I will try though. The upstairs tv is not 4k, will it matter for playback?

I have plenty of HDR that work quite well. Even though my computer/CGTV does not decode HDR +, that files plays perfect, and looks great on Dolby Vision or HDR 10. Whichever it is I can tell the difference in color from HDR and non (14 mb/s). Last night's movie (43 mb/s) played a lot better than before. It does it at certain spots a lot and then plays for a good while. Maybe 1 minutes of loss of time at total end of movie. Before it would not really play at all. Still annoying though. Sometimes it will count only to 50 or so, sometimes it will complete the circle. I should get the usb hub today I will let you know my results on same file.
    Last edited by forsure; 2nd Jun 2021 at 07:37.
    Quote Quote  
  11. If my computer can only get 250-280 mb/s on this new wifi adapter that is capable of much more, and the iphone can get 450 or so, what part in my computer is not allowing the speed difference?

I just ran speed test and got 12 ping, 248 dl, and .80 ul. Does the ul tell you something is wrong?
    Quote Quote  
  12. The WiFi adapter on your computer may not support all the features required to get the higher speeds. 0.8 upload is pretty low. Does the iPhone get more?

Regarding files the Chromecast can't play, try the "UHD Sony Mont Blanc" from:

https://www.demolandia.net/4k-video-test/brands/sony/page-1.html

I can't play that on my Chromecast, over Ethernet or from a USB flash drive. It plays fine on my PC.
    Quote Quote  
  13. Originally Posted by jagabo View Post
    The WiFi adapter on your computer may not support all the features required to get the higher speeds. 0.8 upload is pretty low. Does the iPhone get more?

Regarding files the Chromecast can't play, try the "UHD Sony Mont Blanc" from:

https://www.demolandia.net/4k-video-test/brands/sony/page-1.html

I can't play that on my Chromecast, over Ethernet or from a USB flash drive. It plays fine on my PC.
    This is a new wifi adapter that I just bought. The internal was is disabled. It says 800+ speeds on 5 ghz for adapter. Are you speaking about another computer part maybe that is effecting the adapter?
    Quote Quote  
  14. Now Chromecast is acting crazy and wont play anything, that is HDR. I think it's KODI. Like i said there were issues with the new release, this one obviously needed changes.

I have no idea what is going on after you said that. Now it's locking up completely after playing pretty well. I will try the upstairs tv. No luck on upstairs TV. Router nor distance is a problem with more latest and worse issue.
    Last edited by forsure; 2nd Jun 2021 at 09:57.
    Quote Quote  
  15. I installed Kodi from the Chromecast Play store in December of last year. I believe it has updated itself at least once. Currently it says "v19.1 Matrix" at startup.
    Quote Quote  
  16. Ok well I already know that version doesn't work well. Do you think my network is getting clogged? Should I be disconnecting from wall not just usb wire? That's all I did after watching 80% continuous hdr file. A great Hdr file as far as color, now no HDR films work. After just a USB pull and a bad speed test. CGTV DID kind of lock to when I started it. But why just HDR, Y NOW?
    Quote Quote  
  17. Originally Posted by jagabo View Post
    I installed Kodi from the Chromecast Play store in December of last year. I believe it has updated itself at least once. Currently it says "v19.1 Matrix" at startup.
    Did restart on pc, reboot on router and pulled the plug and waited a couple of hours-everything back to normal or a lot better from where we started. All HDR files playing ( I did not complete all, but at least check points are cleared). As far as the file you sent me a link to. It's tolerable but not fully flowing. It locked up 3 times each getting to 1/2 the circle before playback. I did not realize this usb was just for Apple. Maybe I will need it for CGTV, I will give it a try with external hd connected to CGTV, but you said it was not a factor. Can my pc see my CGTV or the network files to see movies on upstairs tv, if it does improve playback?
    Last edited by forsure; 2nd Jun 2021 at 16:22.
    Quote Quote  
  18. If the USB drive is plugged into the Chromecast's USB hub it won't be using WiFi to play the videos. From the few tests I've run, files that don't play via Ethernet also don't play from a thumb drive. The files I'm having problems with are all 4K HDR. I have even higher bitrate 4K (non-HDR) videos that play smoothly -- so bitrate alone isn't the problem. I believe Chromcast only supports FAT32 partitioned USB drives. I don't know if there are NTFS or ExFat drivers available.
    I did not see the external HD recognized by Chromecast nor KODI. I went to external storage in KODI did not see it. Is it bc of the type of drive I have? Where should I see it in KODI or CGTV? Don't know how to eject it either. Hope it does not damage it just pulling usb/power.
    You did not tell me whether I would be able to see and use my External with my pc upstairs and External downstairs attached to CGTV. I need to be able to transfer files to it without physically having to move it. Is this possible?
    Last edited by forsure; 3rd Jun 2021 at 08:40.
    Quote Quote  
  19. Go to Settings -> System -> Storage. If you don't see the drive listed there it has not been mounted -- probably because it's not FAT32. In Windows you can see the file system type by right clicking on the drive in Explorer and selecting Properties. I don't know if you can get an NTFS or ExFAT driver for the Chromecast. (I believe Microsoft requires a paid license for NTSF -- probably why it isn't supported by Google.) I know you can get NTFS drivers for Linux (Android is a fork of Linux) so there could be drivers available.

I searched the Play store for "NTFS" and found that Paragon has an app that can access NTSF and ExFAT drives. But I don't think it installs a system driver which would allow all apps to access the drive.

Sharing files on the Chromecast would require an SMB server driver/app for the device. I don't know if one is available. Again, there are such drivers for Linux so it's theoretically possible. I've done this with a Raspberry Pi that I used to use as a media player.

While reading some other stuff I saw someone mention that disabling IPv6 on the router fixes some problems with Chromecast on WiFi networks.
    Quote Quote  
  20. Originally Posted by jagabo View Post
    Go to Settings -> System -> Storage. If you don't see the drive listed there it has not been mounted -- probably because it's not FAT32. In Windows you can see the file system type by right clicking on the drive in Explorer and selecting Properties. I don't know if you can get an NTFS or ExFAT driver for the Chromecast. (I believe Microsoft requires a paid license for NTSF -- probably why it isn't supported by Google.) I know you can get NTFS drivers for Linux (Android is a fork of Linux) so there could be drivers available.

I searched the Play store for "NTFS" and found that Paragon has an app that can access NTSF and ExFAT drives. But I don't think it installs a system driver which would allow all apps to access the drive.

Sharing files on the Chromecast would require an SMB server driver/app for the device. I don't know if one is available. Again, there are such drivers for Linux so it's theoretically possible. I've done this with a Raspberry Pi that I used to use as a media player.

While reading some other stuff I saw someone mention that disabling IPv6 on the router fixes some problems with Chromecast on WiFi networks.
    Mine is NTFS. Not interested in purchasing a server, but thanks for the info. How do I disable IPv6? Have you tried it? Any difference? Well let me know if you figure out the key variable with playing the HDR. Mine are all playing about 80% continuous. Tolerable but still a little bad.
    Last edited by forsure; 3rd Jun 2021 at 10:27.
    Quote Quote  
  21. Setup for every router is different. Check the manual for your router. Or just go to the admin pages and search for IPv6 options.
    Quote Quote  
  22. Originally Posted by jagabo View Post
    Setup for every router is different. Check the manual for your router. Or just go to the admin pages and search for IPv6 options.
    Ok guess I have to be able to log into the router. Tech told me when he was here "admin1", don't remember pass. Thought it might be standard, y I was telling u. What does IPv6 do anyway? I did take the time to read, but still could not determine if it was going to effect my overall network. I will wait till you tell me that it's helped with streaming HDR.
    Quote Quote  
  23. I can say with 100% certainty that some HDR files play flawless, lower bit rates. If you like I can send you Media Info on 2 files, both with great HDR color. The 2nd one with the high bit rate, locking up.
    Quote Quote  
  24. Are you sure all your HDR files are really HDR? Many "HDR" video's I've downloaded may have come from HDR sources -- but have been tone mapped and reencoded to SDR. Yes, send me the MediaInfo report of your files.

And yes, you need access to the router's admin pages to disable IPv6. Find your router's manual online -- it may list the default username and password. It's often admin/admin. Installation techs usually don't change it.

IPv4 is limited to 4 billion IP addresses. That may sound like a lot but there are more computers than that connected to the internet now. IPv6 is a fix for that, with a much higher limit -- greater than 10^38. But not all devices have been updated to work with (or work properly with) IPv6.
    Last edited by jagabo; 3rd Jun 2021 at 17:12.
    Quote Quote  
  25. Originally Posted by jagabo View Post
    Are you sure all your HDR files are really HDR? Many "HDR" video's I've downloaded may have come from HDR sources -- but have been tone mapped and reencoded to SDR. Yes, send me the MediaInfo report of your files.
    Media info does tell me they are. I will send you 2 rust work good or better and 2 that are bad. How do I send them? Save it or just a jpeg picture? Never done it.
    Quote Quote  
  26. Originally Posted by jagabo View Post
    Are you sure all your HDR files are really HDR? Many "HDR" video's I've downloaded may have come from HDR sources -- but have been tone mapped and reencoded to SDR. Yes, send me the MediaInfo report of your files.
    Media info does tell me they are. I will send you 2 that work good or better and 2 that are bad. How do I send them? Save it or just a jpeg picture? Never done it. I know the last one looked really good but was so small and play3d so well that it made me question? I was impressed with the color regardless. I have also noticed strange things regarding size. SDR being bigger than HDR files. I don't have or get any files that say SDR.
    Quote Quote  
  27. Set MediaInfo to text mode (View -> Text) then press CTRL+A to select all, and CTRL+C to copy to Windows clipboard. Paste into a code block here at video help with CTRL+V.
    Quote Quote  
  28. I think running continuous speed tests hurt the wifi flow?
    Quote Quote  
  29. The point of a speedtest is to use a much bandwidth as possible. So yes, given that WiFi is a shared resource, if you are running a speedtest at the same time as watching a movie, and both are using the WiFi, there will be less bandwidth available to the movie.

If you mean running many speedtests and then playing a movie later, that should not reduce with WiFi bandwidth available to the movie.
    Quote Quote