VideoHelp Forum
+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 9
FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 ... LastLast
Thread
  1. Originally Posted by forsure View Post
    Can I use any hdmi source on the AVR for pass through to Chromecast?
    I don't understand your question. The HDMI signal (with video and audio) would go from the Chromecast to the AVR. The AVR will play the audio and pass the HDMI signal through to the TV for display. Other devices would work similarly. In the case of ARC devices are connected directly to the TV's HDMI inputs (Chromecast, Roku, cable/sat box, etc.). Then one HDMI cable from the TV to the AVR (the Audio Return Channel) sends whatever audio the TV is receiving from those devices to the AVR via ARC. The TV must support ARC (not all do) and you must use an HDMI port that supports ARC (often only one).

Originally Posted by forsure View Post
    As far as Roku I am confused. I did not mean to confuse you these are separate issues. I did not know I could cast my pc to tv , so was trying to figure out why it would not work?
    I don't think there are any mirroring apps that will allow you to mirror the PC screen to the Roku. The apps I was talking about are DLNA streaming apps.

Do I have to register my cc to Roku to get the app
    You don't have to provide your CC number to Roku to download free apps. I don't know if there is an alternate mechanism for payed apps.

downstairs but says after trying to connect "can not connect". It made it seem simple to mirror the screen via web instructions.
    Again, I don't think there are any screen mirroring Roku apps for mirroring Window's PCs (there are lots for Android and IOS devices).
    Quote Quote  
  2. Originally Posted by jagabo View Post
    Can I use any hdmi source on the AVR for pass through to Chromecast?
    I don't understand your question. The HDMI signal (with video and audio) would go from the Chromecast to the AVR. The AVR will play the audio and pass the HDMI signal through to the TV for display. Other devices would work similarly. In the case of ARC devices are connected directly to the TV's HDMI inputs (Chromecast, Roku, cable/sat box, etc.). Then one HDMI cable from the TV to the AVR (the Audio Return Channel) sends whatever audio the TV is receiving from those devices to the AVR via ARC. The TV must support ARC (not all do) and you must use an HDMI port that supports ARC (often only one).

As far as Roku I am confused. I did not mean to confuse you these are separate issues. I did not know I could cast my pc to tv , so was trying to figure out why it would not work?
    I don't think there are any mirroring apps that will allow you to mirror the PC screen to the Roku. The apps I was talking about are DLNA streaming apps.

Do I have to register my cc to Roku to get the app
    You don't have to provide your CC number to Roku to download free apps. I don't know if there is an alternate mechanism for payed apps.

downstairs but says after trying to connect "can not connect". It made it seem simple to mirror the screen via web instructions.
    Again, I don't think there are any screen mirroring Roku apps for mirroring Window's PCs (there are lots for Android and IOS devices).
    I guess the AVR will not know the difference which source is being used? i.e cable, pc, bluray, game> it does not usually list a source for new technology like CGTV. When I set up my last AVR I just remember asking about watching/listening to TV without AVR and that feature was described to me as pass through. I guess I used eARC (HDMI 1) with the AVR before it broke. It is currently being used by my cable source and will plug CGTV into HDMI 2/3. Or do I have to use the eARC hmdi port for the CGTV? I really don't need the audio formats without an AVR, so I can switch the wires if I need the eARC for CGTV. Keep in mind these are 2 different scenarios here with or without AVR. My 1080p tv worked fine with AVR without ARC. So I don't fully understand it's purpose

How do you separate individual sentences in quote? I used to know how circa 90'

It asks for my cc via email sent by Roku tv to set up internet connection.
    Last edited by forsure; 10th May 2021 at 13:42.
    Quote Quote  
  3. Originally Posted by forsure View Post
    I guess the AVR will not know the difference which source is being used?
    With ARC the AVR won't know which device is providing the audio, the TV just sends whatever audio it's playing.

I think you should just stop worrying about every possible problem. Just get an AVR that supports HDMI-ARC and HDMI-CEC.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Hdmi_arc#HDMI_Ethernet_and_Audio_Return_Channel
    https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Consumer_Electronics_Control

You'll be pretty well ready for whatever setup you need. Also, check that your TV supports them.
    Quote Quote  
  4. Oh for multiple quotes -- I'll use ( instead of [ and ) instead of ] in this example:

Code:
    (quote=forsure;2619134) blah, blah, blah (/quote)
    Reply goes here...

(quote) yada, yada, yada (/quote)
    Reply goes here...
    The first is with attribution and a link back to the original post. The second is for plain quotes. In the post they will appear as:

blah, blah, blah
    Reply goes here...

yada, yada, yada
    Reply goes here...
    Quote Quote  
  5. Originally Posted by jagabo View Post
    I guess the AVR will not know the difference which source is being used?
    With ARC the AVR won't know which device is providing the audio, the TV just sends whatever audio it's playing.

I think you should just stop worrying about every possible problem. Just get an AVR that supports HDMI-ARC and HDMI-CEC.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Hdmi_arc#HDMI_Ethernet_and_Audio_Return_Channel
    https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Consumer_Electronics_Control

You'll be pretty well ready for whatever setup you need. Also, check that your TV supports them.
    Don't know that I want to spend that much for AVR MultEQ xt32 seems to be the only Eq worth spending the money on. $1300 right now. Any other suggestions to get around bs marketing on AVR. First I have to see how well KODI and CGTV work before making decision on AVR. My tv has all needed. Did you say I need to use the eARC port for CGTV without AVR?
    Quote Quote  
  6. I think you should just stop worrying about every possible problem. .
    It's my nature.
    That last icon under Quick Reply

Reply goes here...
    where do I find a quick link to the attributes or link?

Ok I see, more links when pressing quote
    Last edited by forsure; 10th May 2021 at 14:21.
    Quote Quote  
  7. Originally Posted by forsure View Post
    I think you should just stop worrying about every possible problem. .
    It's my nature.

Reply goes here...
    hmm
    Quote Quote  
  8. Member
    Search Comp PM
    I really don't feel like buying another AVR, it is all marketing bs. Any suggestions of what to do with speakers ( for use with same setup) if KODI works out?
    You are asking the wrong person. I'm using the TV's speakers with the Chromecast. The only thing that has speakers plugged into it is a computer, and those are just cheap Logitech 2.1 speakers.
    Ignore list: hello_hello, tried, TechLord, Snoopy329
    Quote Quote  
  9. Originally Posted by forsure View Post
    I think you should just stop worrying about every possible problem. .
    It's my nature.

Reply goes here...

Ok I see, more links when pressing quote
    Yes, when you use the Quote button to reply to a post it includes the quote attributes. If you want to quote another post it's easiest to use another browser tab or window -- press the quote button for that other post and copy/paste the attributes back to your first tab/window.
    Quote Quote  
  10. No. You set up a network share on the PC (right click on a folder, select Properties, go to Sharing tab, etc.). That makes that folder (and all its sub-folders) available via WiFi. Any device capable of accessing Windows shares will be able access files in that folder. Then browse to that network share on the Chromecast, select a video, and play it.
    So this is where I am lost. Am I looking for my files via Chromecast or with Kodi? If I am using Kodi, it asks to add library and then a directory. It says error to Windows Netowrk SMB. I don't know if I am supposed to type a path. it does not see my computer or files.
    Quote Quote  
  11. When I used Windows SMB error 2 no connection. i looked on Youtube could not find any explanation the way you said to access my shared files. So how do I see them through Kodi. You made it seem real easy. I don't know where to go with the 5 or so options it says of where to browse for files in Kodi,none of them give my files. I dont have a server, just my pc external hd, and wifi, which is at 58 mbs now.
    Quote Quote  
  12. Kodi has to be configured to use SMB shares. I don't remember exactly what I had to do but it was somewhere in the Kodi configuration. Start Kodi and use the gear icon near the top left to get to its settings. Navigate to Services -> SMB Client. Make sure the Workgroup is set the the same Workgroup as your Windows PC. You may need to change The Protocol version settings to match what your computer supports. I believe Win10 defaults to SMB3. I believe you can set the minimum to SMBv1 and the maximum to SMBv3 you will be able to access all SMB versions. I think that's all you need to access network shares from Kodi.

Back at Kodi's main interface select Videos -> Files. You should see your Windows PC and be able to browser through its shares.

Note that you must share a folder or drive on the PC otherwise there will be nothing for Kodi to see.
    Quote Quote  
  13. You can also install a simple media player like VLC. Then browse through the network shares and play the video you want.
    Quote Quote  
  14. Originally Posted by jagabo View Post
    Kodi has to be configured to use SMB shares. I don't remember exactly what I had to do but it was somewhere in the Kodi configuration. Start Kodi and use the gear icon near the top left to get to its settings. Navigate to Services -> SMB Client. Make sure the Workgroup is set the the same Workgroup as your Windows PC. You may need to change The Protocol version settings to match what your computer supports. I believe Win10 defaults to SMB3. I believe you can set the minimum to SMBv1 and the maximum to SMBv3 you will be able to access all SMB versions. I think that's all you need to access network shares from Kodi.

Back at Kodi's main interface select Videos -> Files. You should see your Windows PC and be able to browser through its shares.

Note that you must share a folder or drive on the PC otherwise there will be nothing for Kodi to see.
    I shared the folders my Workgroup just says "workgroup" twice

Ok I will go try that, but are you sure I dont have to type a network path in add network, and then add my username /password for windows, which I DONT KNOw, windows auto bypasses my password sign in screen for some reason, I guess I set it up that way
    Quote Quote  
  15. Originally Posted by jagabo View Post
    Kodi has to be configured to use SMB shares. I don't remember exactly what I had to do but it was somewhere in the Kodi configuration. Start Kodi and use the gear icon near the top left to get to its settings. Navigate to Services -> SMB Client. Make sure the Workgroup is set the the same Workgroup as your Windows PC. You may need to change The Protocol version settings to match what your computer supports. I believe Win10 defaults to SMB3. I believe you can set the minimum to SMBv1 and the maximum to SMBv3 you will be able to access all SMB versions. I think that's all you need to access network shares from Kodi.

There is nothing in services about SMB Client. My pc says Workgroup = Workgroup

VLC see my Desktop but requires authentication "usually a Domain/user name. Can you tell me how to set this up? I don't have a login password for my desktop.
    Last edited by forsure; 15th May 2021 at 10:24.
    Quote Quote  
  16. Originally Posted by jagabo View Post
    You can also install a simple media player like VLC. Then browse through the network shares and play the video you want.
    Not that easy either. VLC requires authentication. I don't know if I have a password or not for Windows, so I can't change it bc it does not ask me either on sign on
    Quote Quote  
  17. I believe Windows requires an account with a password to share folders.
    Quote Quote  
  18. Originally Posted by jagabo View Post
    I believe Windows requires an account with a password to share folders.

Ok I figured out my password. Now VLC does not see the desktop. Did I need to change something in Workgroup? It does not say anything regarding SMB just "workgroup" or am I going to the right place?
    Quote Quote  
  19. VLC can't see the Desktop. It can only see network shares. You must share something on the PC. Right click on a folder you want to share and select Give Access To... or Share... (depends on Windows version).
    Quote Quote  
  20. Originally Posted by jagabo View Post
    VLC can't see the Desktop. It can only see network shares. You must share something on the PC. Right click on a folder you want to share and select Give Access To... or Share... (depends on Windows version).
    Yes yes i am past that. It said the local network before, my name for my computer. It sees nothing now in local network on vlc. It said SMB before I messed with something on VLC. It asked for my user name and pass to access the files before now it sees nothing.
    Quote Quote  
  21. Can your computer see its own share? In Explorer select Network on the left. Then your computer in that list. Does the share show up?
    Quote Quote  
  22. Originally Posted by forsure View Post
    Originally Posted by jagabo View Post
    VLC can't see the Desktop. It can only see network shares. You must share something on the PC. Right click on a folder you want to share and select Give Access To... or Share... (depends on Windows version).
    Yes yes i am past that. It said the local network before, my name for my computer. It sees nothing now in local network on vlc. It said SMB before I messed with something on VLC. It asked for my user name and pass to access the files before now it sees nothing.
    VLC- had to reinstall a couple of time for it to recognize SMB "my desktop. It does not list the path of either shared files and when trying to log in using password it just goes back to log in screen.
    Quote Quote  
  23. Originally Posted by jagabo View Post
    Can your computer see its own share? In Explorer select Network on the left. Then your computer in that list. Does the share show up?
    No in network it sees Chromecast, printer and router no shared folders. Nor a icon for my computer. The folders both sat sharing and the path in my properties for those folders
    Quote Quote  
  24. Then you aren't successfully sharing anything.

Right click on the folder in Explorer and select Properties. Go to the Sharing tab. Does it show the folder as shared? Here's the properties of a folder called ds that's been shared:

[Attachment 58895 - Click to enlarge]
    Quote Quote  
  25. Originally Posted by jagabo View Post
    Then you aren't successfully sharing anything.

Right click on the folder in Explorer and select Properties. Go to the Sharing tab. Does it show the folder as shared? Here's the properties of a folder called ds that's been shared:

[Attachment 58895 - Click to enlarge]
    Yep. It does not ask to "apply" but both folders say network path shared. "\\Desktop-UVQSUN\2160P, as the other folders """"""\1080p, """""""\music. All folders are shared via external HDD that is connected, it does not say it in network file path.
    Quote Quote  
  26. Image
    [Attachment 58897 - Click to enlarge]

Unless the UJVQSUN is the external HDD regardless, it does not see it in KODI, it sees it in VLC but will not hold password which is correct.

in Explorer it listed as Easy Store
    Quote Quote  
  27. I was able to play a movie that is on my desktop with VLC. i had to enable movie streaming in the Network and sharing center. However it is not seeing my external hd. i just shared the entire drive , let me see if that make a difference. Is there any difference in VLC cs KODI when it comes to codecs or anything?
    Quote Quote  
  28. Image
    [Attachment 58901 - Click to enlarge]

Now my network sees my computer my shared media, but still no external hdd where all the media is. i shared the entire :f drive
    Quote Quote  
  29. Desktop-UJVQSUN is the computer name, 2160p is the share name. The client (Chromcast, VLC, Kodi) can't know the exact location of the share, that's private to the server (PC). It only needs the //computername/sharename to access files within the share.

In Kodi you may need to add the share manually. Kodi -> Videos -> Files -> Add Videos... -> Browse -> Windows Networks (SMB). Enter the share name smb://DESKTOP-UJVQSUN /2160p.
    Quote Quote  
  30. Originally Posted by jagabo View Post
    Desktop-UJVQSUN is the computer name, 2160p is the share name. The client (Chromcast, VLC, Kodi) can't know the exact location of the share, that's private to the server (PC). It only needs the //computername/sharename to access files within the share.

In Kodi you may need to add the share manually. Kodi -> Videos -> Files -> Add Videos... -> Browse -> Windows Networks (SMB). Enter the share name smb://DESKTOP-UJVQSUN /2160p.
    Yes I tired that already, it gives me an error. Does it make a difference in "\" vs "/". You have it the opposite of the way the screen shot shows.

Does it being an external hdd make a difference? VLC is seeing my media files using UpNp but not seeing my hdd, the second icon- SMB for my desktop icon for VLC will not open without a password and it will not hold the password. There are 2 computers being recognized on VLC SMB/UpNp. The 1st will not open at all and the second will not see my other drive
    Quote Quote  
Visit our sponsor! Try DVDFab and backup Blu-rays!