VideoHelp Forum
+ Reply to Thread
Thread
  1. Hello everyone,

I recently got Digimon on DVD and this is what results I get playing it in a video player:

[Attachment 58732 - Click to enlarge]

[Attachment 58733 - Click to enlarge]

I'm talking about the strange artifacts in the Digimon logo in the first photo and around the fireball in the second photo.

Tried de-interlacing with handbrake, but the result stays similar. I'm new to this, so I have no idea what this is called and how to solve it. If anyone can help me, I would greatly appreciate it.

Thanks in advance.
    Quote Quote  
  2. It's called Dotcrawl. Its origin is from luma/chroma crosstalk on composite video. There are avisynth filters to suppress it, but it may be tough.
    You can read more about it here:
    https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Dot_crawl

Use the 'S-Video' or 'Component' connection if you have it instead of 'Composite', as luma and chroma are separate in S-Video or 'Compoment' connections.
    It may however be that the Dotcrawl is already burned in the DVD source from a poor transfer.
    Last edited by Sharc; 5th May 2021 at 12:01.
    Quote Quote  
  3. Thank you for explaining this to me and sharing your wisdom.

I am playing the disc on my computer through HDMI, 1080p, with VLC (also have PowerDVD and MPCHC, same results)

I'm going to look into those filters, but I'll be honest, avisynth is hard for me to understand.
    Last edited by LighthouseonaCliff; 6th May 2021 at 16:59.
    Quote Quote  
  4. Originally Posted by LighthouseonaCliff View Post
    I am playing the disc on my computer through HDMI, 1080p, with VLC (also have PowerDVD and MPCHC, same results)
    Then I am afraid the dotcrawl is already baked into the source (DVD) rather than being caused by your playback scenario. You would need to try to fix it using avisynth filters, or live with it
    Quote Quote  
  5. On a computer you can use dotcrawl filters to remove most it while playing. PotPlayer has a built in AviSynth script processor -- Preferences -> Video -> AviSynth. You can use a script like:

Code:
    PotPlayer_Source()
    CheckMate()
    You 'll have to install AviSynth and the CheckMate filter. That will get rid a of a lot of the dot crawl while playing the video.
    Quote Quote  
  6. Thank you for all the suggestions. It means a lot to me.

I've been busy all night figuring out avisynth. At this rate, I might go bald from pulling my hair

I managed to get a checkmate filter working, as well as a de-interlacing filter. The de-rainbow filter doesn't work though.

To explain:

I tried the following filters:

DeRainbow
    DFMDeRainbow
    RainbowSmooth

These all give a syntax error, as shown in the photo below.

This one worked, but I saw no effect

DeDot

Making a script is pretty hard for me. I mostly copy examples I find and try to figure out the settings. I use AvsPmod & VirtualDub2.

This is what I used for DeRainbow, to test the filter out:

DirectShowSource("H:\#Nieuw\Digimon Digital Monsters - S01E01 (001) - And So It Begins....mkv")
    DFMDeRainbow(maskthresh=10, mask=false, interlaced=false)

When I do that, I get the following error:

[Attachment 58758 - Click to enlarge]

Apologies for being a moron. Can't seem to figure out what I'm doing wrong. If someone would be so kind to help me, I would greatly appreciate it. Thank you.
    Quote Quote  
  7. Did you install the support filters that DeRainbow() etc. require? You can see the requirements on the pages you linked to. For example, DeRainbow requires masktools2, MipSmooth, and MSharpen.

Yes, getting all the required filters set up can be a PITA.
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    Is that # as part of the folder name valid ?

I thought that using # on a line commented out every else on the line. So in that scenario the filename is not read.
    Quote Quote  
  9. Thank you very much for helping.

Yes, I think they are in the correct folder.. My avisynth plus has 4 folders for plugins though:

plugins
    plugins+
    plugins64
    plugins64+ (The DLLs and the AVSI file are in this folder)

I am trying ChubbyRain2 right now.

Read somewhere that you have to load the plugins and then import the avsi file. Is that correct?

I tried this script:

LoadPlugin(C:\Program Files (x86)\AviSynth+\plugins64+\Bifrost.dll)
    LoadPlugin(C:\Program Files (x86)\AviSynth+\plugins64+\CNR2_x64.dll)
    LoadPlugin(C:\Program Files (x86)\AviSynth+\plugins64+\masktools2.dll)
    Import(C:\Program Files (x86)\AviSynth+\plugins64+\ChubbyRain2.avsi)
    DirectShowSource("H:\Digimon Digital Monsters - S01E01 (001) - And So It Begins....mkv")
    ChubbyRain2(th=10, radius=10, show=false, sft=10, interlaced=true)

This gives me the following error:

[Attachment 58760 - Click to enlarge]

No idea what this means. Tried google to find a solution, but can't find anything

Edit: I put the file in a different folder, without a # in it's path. Same result, the above error.
    Quote Quote  
  10. All those LoadPlugin and Import lines are missing parenthesis':

LoadPlugin("C:\Program Files (x86)\AviSynth+\plugins64+\Bifrost.dll")

There may be other things wrong as well. But, as you're doing, always post the complete script as well as the VDub error message.
    Quote Quote  
  11. Thank you.

I added the parenthesis, now I get a different error:

LoadPlugin("C:\Program Files (x86)\AviSynth+\plugins64+\Bifrost.dll")
    LoadPlugin("C:\Program Files (x86)\AviSynth+\plugins64+\CNR2_x64.dll")
    LoadPlugin("C:\Program Files (x86)\AviSynth+\plugins64+\masktools2.dll")
    Import("C:\Program Files (x86)\AviSynth+\plugins64+\ChubbyRain2.avsi")
    DirectShowSource("C:\Videos\Digimon Digital Monsters S01E01.mkv")
    ChubbyRain2(th=10, radius=10, show=false, sft=10, interlaced=false)

ChubbyRain2 is also in red in AvsPmod. Very strange. Almost like it's in the wrong folder. I tried them all.

The new error:

[Attachment 58765 - Click to enlarge]
    Quote Quote  
  12. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Is there something wrong with ChubbyRain2.avsi ?

Post the script here
    Quote Quote  
  13. Dll files in the plugins folders should load automatically. You don't need to manually load them. Same with AVSI file, they should import automatically. There are some people that have problems with that (probably something wrong in the Registry).

AVSI files are plain text. Open ChubbyRain2.avsi in notepad. Does it look correct?

Code:
    # http://avisynth.nl/index.php/ChubbyRain2

function ChubbyRain2(clip c, int "th", int "radius", bool "show", int "sft", bool "interlaced")
    {
    #based on Mug Funky's ChubbyRain

th = default(th,10)
    radius = default(radius,10)
    show = default(show,false)
    sft = default (sft, 10)
    interlaced = default(interlaced, false)

c = interlaced==true? c.separatefields() : c

u = c.utoy()
    v = c.vtoy()

uc = u.mt_convolution(horizontal="1",vertical="1 -2 1",Y=3,U=0,V=0)
    vc = v.mt_convolution(horizontal="1",vertical="1 -2 1",Y=3,U=0,V=0)

cc = c.mt_convolution(horizontal="1",vertical="1 2 1",Y=2,U=3,V=3).bifrost(interlaced=false).cnr2().temporalsoften(radius,0,sft,2,2)

rainbow = mt_lutxy(uc,vc,Yexpr=string("x y + "+string(th)+" > 256 0 ?")).pointresize(c.width,c.height).mt_expand(y=3,u=-128,v=-128)#.blur(1.5)

overlay(c,cc,mask=rainbow)

output = show==true? rainbow : interlaced==true? last.weave() : last

return output

}
    Quote Quote  
  14. No, mine has the following code

Code:
    <!DOCTYPE HTML PUBLIC "-//IETF//DTD HTML 2.0//EN">
    <html><head>
    <title>404 Not Found</title>
    </head><body>
    <h1>Not Found</h1>
    <p>The requested URL /images/ChubbyRain2.avsi was not found on this server.</p>
    </body></html>
    Weird
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    It clearly does not like that first line wherever you store the script.

TBH I never got my bald head around avisynth and the one occasion I used it I was 'spoon-fed'

But I now read that an avsi will automatically import (as long as it's in the right folder) and surely that calls the dependency plug-ins anyway (if indeed that is what they are)

So, as a test, remove those 4 lines leaving the DirectShowSource as the first line (back up the script first) and run it then
    Quote Quote  
  16. That's an html error page -- there was an error when you tried to save the script with your browser.

You can copy/paste from the code block in post #13. Note that importing an AVS or AVSI script is the same as copying text from that file and pasting it into main script.
    Quote Quote  
  17. Also, I highly recommend NOT using DirectShowSource(). It's often not frame accurate and its behavior depends on how Windows is set up. Use LSMASH, LWlibavVideoSource("C:\Videos\Digimon Digital Monsters S01E01.mkv"), instead.

http://avisynth.nl/index.php/LSMASHSource
    Quote Quote  
  18. Thank you all for your wonderful help and support.

I copied the code of the avsi files on the website to a txt file and changed it to avsi afterwards. This worked! Yay!

The ChubbyRain2 filter is working now!

These settings make such a difference:

Code:
    ChubbyRain2(th=2, radius=2, show=false, sft=2, interlaced=false)

Onward to learn some more

Probably to be continued

Thanks again, everyone.

(Have almost given up a few times )

@jagabo - Trying out LSMASH right now. Thanks!
    Quote Quote  
  19. I tried using LSMASH and video works, but I don't get any sound with the following script:

Code:
    LWlibavVideoSource("C:\Videos\Digimon Digital Monsters S01E01.mkv")
    ConverttoYv12()
    CheckMate(thr=25, max=25, tthr2=10)
    yadifmod2(order=1, field=1, mode=1)
    Tried adding LWLibavAudioSource and pointing to the same file, but that gives an error:

[Attachment 58766 - Click to enlarge]

Am I doing something wrong? Thank you.
    Quote Quote  
  20. LWlibavVideoSource() only gives you video. If you want audio too use LWlibavAudioSource():

Code:
    a = LWlibavAudioSource("C:\Videos\Digimon Digital Monsters S01E01.mkv") # get the audio
    v = LWlibavVideoSource("C:\Videos\Digimon Digital Monsters S01E01.mkv") #get the video
    AudioDub(v,a) # join them together
    ConverttoYv12()
    CheckMate(thr=25, max=25, tthr2=10)
    yadifmod2(order=1, field=1, mode=1)
    Without knowing more about your source it's hard to say exactly what the problem is. Instead of ConvertToYV12() try forcing YV12 output from the video decoder:

Code:
    v = LWlibavVideoSource("C:\Videos\Digimon Digital Monsters S01E01.mkv", format="YV12") #get the video
    Quote Quote  
  21. That seems to work. Thank you so much!

[Attachment 58767 - Click to enlarge]
    Quote Quote