VideoHelp Forum


Try StreamFab All-in-One and rip Netflix video! Or Try DVDFab and copy Blu-rays! or rip iTunes movies!
+ Reply to Thread
Results 1 to 11 of 11
Thread
  1. I know my Panasonic works, because I purchased it when they first came out. However, I can not figure out how to connect it to these new TVs ( Tube TVs were the mainstream at the time of purchase)! I think the problem is with the remote. The remote has to be programmed to the TV using a code, but I canít figure out how to get the code for the new TV sets that will work for an older VCR. I donít know if I am making sense, but all I am trying to do is convert our VHS tapes.Can anyone help?
    Image Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	121EB8B7-9974-40ED-A1E4-E524F1ABB34F.jpeg
Views:	17
Size:	1.75 MB
ID:	58710  

    Click image for larger version

Name:	F0DF0982-E45A-4958-B98B-E9C9D907B9BF.jpeg
Views:	27
Size:	1.15 MB
ID:	58711  

    Quote Quote  
  2. You probably won't find a code for the old combo's remote to control modern TVs. The command sequences change with new TV models and there's no way for 10+ year old remote to know what the future commands would be (the code you put in is just an index into an internal table of commands for different devices). You might be able to find a modern universal remote that has commands for the combo and your TV. Or just live with two remotes.

    Why are you showing pictures of the back of the unit? You want to know what connections to use for audio and video? Best would be component, then s-video, then composite, then RF (probably no RF on modern TVs) -- whatever your TV supports. For audio digital audio out (optical S/PDIF) would be best, then red/white RCA line level, then RF (again, no RF on most modern TVs). Some combo units don't output VHS to component and s-video. So you may be stuck with composite.
    Last edited by jagabo; 3rd May 2021 at 20:37.
    Quote Quote  
  3. Member
    Join Date
    Jul 2009
    Location
    United States
    Search Comp PM
    You could try a "learning" remote like this one https://www.amazon.com/dp/B07C97YBBC/

    or just use two remotes.
    Quote Quote  
  4. Member
    Join Date
    Aug 2006
    Location
    United States
    Search Comp PM
    What is the make and model of the modern TV so we can find out what analog connections it offers?

    Some 4K TVs have no visible RCA connections for analog video and stereo audio input but they may have an A/V port that accepts a breakout cable, often sold separately as an accessory, to add RCA connections for composite video and stereo audio.
    Ignore list: hello_hello, tried, TechLord, Snoopy329
    Quote Quote  
  5. Member
    Join Date
    Feb 2006
    Location
    United States
    Search Comp PM
    Originally Posted by Silverpony View Post
    I know my Panasonic works, because I purchased it when they first came out. However, I can not figure out how to connect it to these new TVs ( Tube TVs were the mainstream at the time of purchase)! I think the problem is with the remote. The remote has to be programmed to the TV using a code, but I canít figure out how to get the code for the new TV sets that will work for an older VCR. I donít know if I am making sense, but all I am trying to do is convert our VHS tapes.Can anyone help?
    if your new TV has only HDMI connections, then you may need one of these - https://www.ebay.com/itm/124302401425?hash=item1cf1001f91:g:JtYAAOSwoWFfOrZX it connects HDMI to older TVs that have the yellow & red & white connections.

    if your trying to program the remote to your new tv, then see here - https://www.manualslib.com/manual/118743/Panasonic-Diga-Dmr-Es30v.html?page=17#manual
    Last edited by october262; 4th May 2021 at 00:35.
    Quote Quote  
  6. Originally Posted by jagabo View Post
    You probably won't find a code for the old combo's remote to control modern TVs. The command sequences change with new TV models and there's no way for 10+ year old remote to know what the future commands would be (the code you put in is just an index into an internal table of commands for different devices). You might be able to find a modern universal remote that has commands for the combo and your TV. Or just live with two remotes.

    Why are you showing pictures of the back of the unit? You want to know what connections to use for audio and video? Best would be component, then s-video, then composite, then RF (probably no RF on modern TVs) -- whatever your TV supports. For audio digital audio out (optical S/PDIF) would be best, then red/white RCA line level, then RF (again, no RF on most modern TVs). Some combo units don't output VHS to component and s-video. So you may be stuck with composite.
    I was showing the back because it has the model #. Also, I am curious I was hoping to just connect the VHS side to avoid the DVD side. I am trying to transfer from VHS to an external hard drive.
    Quote Quote  
  7. Member
    Join Date
    Aug 2006
    Location
    United States
    Search Comp PM
    Originally Posted by Silverpony View Post
    I was showing the back because it has the model #. Also, I am curious I was hoping to just connect the VHS side to avoid the DVD side. I am trying to transfer from VHS to an external hard drive.
    The best connection your DVD/VHS combo recorder offers for VHS is the set of composite video and stereo audio connections marked "VHS/DVD Common Out". You need to connect those to one of the sets of composite video and stereo audio connections on the TV.
    Ignore list: hello_hello, tried, TechLord, Snoopy329
    Quote Quote  
  8. And make sure it is a good quality composite VIDEO cable (usually with yellow ends) and not an audio one!
    The video cable can handle the signal better...
    Quote Quote  
  9. Here is the back side of the tv (older model) that I use. It is a Samsung LN-T1953H MFD June 2007. The label also has a model code of LNT1953HX/XAA if that helps. I have a mini Pc running windows 10 connected to it. This is the setup I use for editing videos. ( I also have a Elgato video capture device for transferring recordings from our DVR to a External hard drive. My goal is to play our home videos using this tv as a monitor and recording them on external hard drive, to be edited at a later date. As stated, I can not figure out how to program the remote to this tv or connect just to the VHS so I can operate just the VCR section. I was at one time just dubbing them to a DVD, but the tapes vary from 2 hour to 6 hour so are not DVD friendly.
    Image Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	4FC80C80-D1ED-49DF-8B41-77B1AC768E81.jpeg
Views:	11
Size:	2.25 MB
ID:	58741  

    Quote Quote  
  10. As usually_quiet advised, the only output connection of the ES30v unit that will play the VHS signal is the composite "DVD/VHS Common" A/V jacks. You would connect these to the corresponding color-coded inputs of your TV (middle row, all the way to the left of the HDMI plug in your photo).

    Use the "source" or "input" button on the Samsung TV remote to choose the "AV Input" when you want to see the ES30v playing a tape.

    The Panasonic remote has nothing whatever to do with anything on the Samsung TV: don't bother trying to program it for the TV. Just use the separate remotes dedicated to operating the TV and the ES30v.

    You don't need to worry about "bypassing" the dvd section of your Panasonic. The dvd section remains inert and out of the loop unless you deliberately use the ES30v remote to engage the internal VHS>DVD dubbing feature. Make sure the DVD tray is empty, select VHS mode with the Panasonic remote, and it will function as an ordinary VCR with no DVD section.

    HOWEVER, all the above may be moot anyway:

    Be aware your ES30v only has the ONE set of connections that can output a VHS signal (all the others are stupidly locked for dvd exclusively). If you use this to connect to your TV, you won't be able to connect to your capture system simultaneously (i.e., you can't view the ES30v tape playback directly on your TV while also capturing to your PC). During capture, you must view the VHS thru your MiniPC computer connection to the TV (since the ES30v is connected to your PC via the capture device, instead of directly to the TV).

    IOW, since your capture setup involves a MiniPC that uses your TV as its monitor, and your ES30v only has one VHS output connection, you probably won't be connecting the ES30v to your TV at all. You'll leave it connected to your capture device until all your captures are done, viewing the VCR signal thru the MiniPC connection to the TV. After all your tapes have been captured to hard drive, you can connect the ES30v directly to your TV using two sets of connections (3 plug composite for the VHS, 5 plug component for best PQ from the DVD).
    Last edited by orsetto; 5th May 2021 at 19:44.
    Quote Quote  
  11. Thank you so much! You have really been helpful.
    Quote Quote  



Similar Threads