VideoHelp Forum


Try DVD Fab Video Downloader and rip Netflix video! Or Try DVD Fab and copy Blu-rays! or rip iTunes movies!
+ Reply to Thread
Results 1 to 4 of 4
Thread
  1. Hello all.
    I bought my first 4K bluray disc.
    I can play the main movie with MPC-HC (well, not always, I don't know why) and HDR enabled.

    With Leawo Bluray player I can play the 4K disc with the menus and all BUT there is no HDR. The colors are bright and washed out.
    Does anyone know how to enable HDR in Leawo?
    Or maybe there is another player that I could try that plays the disc with menus and all and HDR?
    Quote Quote  
  2. Member
    Join Date
    Aug 2006
    Location
    United States
    Search Comp PM
    Originally Posted by thinredline View Post
    With Leawo Bluray player I can play the 4K disc with the menus and all BUT there is no HDR. The colors are bright and washed out.
    Does anyone know how to enable HDR in Leawo?
    Or maybe there is another player that I could try that plays the disc with menus and all and HDR?
    Leawo's feature description never mentions that it supports HDR in any way, so maybe there is no way to turn it on. As far as I know, everything other than Leawo that offers menu support for UHD Blu-ray is paid software.

    DVDFab Player 6 Ultra is supposed to support UHD Blu-ray playback with menus. I think Windows 10 is required but I am not sure what hardware it requires to play commercial UHD Blu-ray discs directly with HDR pass-through other than an HDR-compatible TV or display/monitor.

    Cyberlink PowerDVD Ultra 17 and newer play UHD Blu-ray with full menu support but Windows 10 is required for playing commercial UHD Blu-ray discs directly and there are strict hardware requirements for that as well.
    Ignore list: hello_hello, tried, TechLord, Snoopy329
    Quote Quote  
  3. Thanks for your reply.
    Well, here it says that Leawo is a 4k HDR player.
    https://www.leawo.org/tutorial/what-is-hdr-and-the-players-that-support-4k-hdr-content...play-1077.html
    Anyway...

    Unfortunately DVDFab Player 6 says it doesn't support my player. (I have a LG-BU40N with firmware V1.03mk).
    And PowerDVD says that I should enable the Intel SGX in BIOS. I'm not that advanced to make changes in BIOS I'm afraid.
    (Actually I just went into the BIOS but I don't see any options to enable the SGX)
    Last edited by thinredline; 2nd May 2021 at 02:05.
    Quote Quote  
  4. Member
    Join Date
    Aug 2006
    Location
    United States
    Search Comp PM
    Originally Posted by thinredline View Post
    Thanks for your reply.
    Well, here it says that Leawo is a 4k HDR player.
    https://www.leawo.org/tutorial/what-is-hdr-and-the-players-that-support-4k-hdr-content...play-1077.html
    Anyway...
    The page you linked to looks like pure marketing B.S to me. I looked at the video settings screenshot and saw nothing relating to HDR.

    Leawo says that their software plays HDR video but, as you have already found out, simply playing the video is not enough. That link does not provide the system requirements for getting real HDR video output when using Leawo Blu-ray Player software or provide information about the software's ability to use tone mapping to simulate real HDR. At a minimum, delivering true HDR via a PC requires a display that supports HDR-10 plus a GPU that can provide HDR-10 metadata via its HDMI or DP connections, as well as Windows 10. (Windows 10 includes settings for HDR in its display/video settings and those must be turned on.) Otherwise, the software player needs to be able to simulate HDR using tone-mapping via a LUT. Tone mapping can be built-in or delivered using a renderer chosen by the user, for example, using MadVR with MPC-HC.

    Originally Posted by thinredline View Post
    Unfortunately DVDFab Player 6 says it doesn't support my player. (I have a LG-BU40N with firmware V1.03mk).
    And PowerDVD says that I should enable the Intel SGX in BIOS. I'm not that advanced to make changes in BIOS I'm afraid.
    (Actually I just went into the BIOS but I don't see any options to enable the SGX)
    You asked about other software players that support UHD Blu-ray menus and HDR, and I provided the names of the two that I know about. Without any computer details from you, I had no way to tell that your computer couldn't meet the hardware requirements.
    Ignore list: hello_hello, tried, TechLord, Snoopy329
    Quote Quote  



Similar Threads