VideoHelp Forum
+ Reply to Thread
Thread
  1. Member
    Search Comp PM
    I normally use programs like Virtualdub2 or any other editing software to encode my videos but some of the advice I received usually involves the use of FFMPEG or AVISynth. What is a good way to practice using them? I usually like to use UI or Notepad.
    Quote Quote  
  2. Best way to "practice" is to use those programs, check and re-evaluate. Feedback is how you learn

eg. If I want to get good at skating and hockey, I don't practice "basketweaving", I go skate and shoot the puck

For the script portion, use a script editor to preview, such as avspmod, although vdub2 can suffice. In avspmod, you can use tabs to compare scripts and settings. The number keys hot switch the tabs and the videos are aligned. If you adjust some setting in one tab, you can see what it does. If you move on the timeline, all versions of scripts are aligned. It's easy to learn and get feedback on how scripts work and what each setting does

For the ffmpeg portion, you have to do small tests, examine the output . Google has lots of information on ffmpeg , although the ffmpeg docs themselves are a good starting spot. Don't waste time on encoding whole videos when testing and learning. Limit to small sections, so you get faster feedback. Make notes if you can't keep it all in your head
    Quote Quote