VideoHelp Forum
+ Reply to Thread
Thread
  1. I have a Plextor Blu Ray player that I got 10 years ago or so. I thought it could play BD-R discs. Here is the player:

https://www.cnet.com/products/plextor-px-b310u-bd-re-hd-dvd-rom-combo-drive-usb-2-0/

Is there a way to update it at all, or should I look for a new player? Thing works like a charm but I'd hate to get rid of it just because of one disc.
    Quote Quote  
  2. Did a quick google of your drive and looks like latest firmware update is 1.06

You might want to check your drives FW version. Unfortunately, there is no description of what features version 1.06 fixes or adds.
    Quote Quote  
  3. According to MakeMKV, it's on Revision 1.07. So I guess that's the latest?
    Quote Quote  
  4. OK, so much for the FW. BTW, when you say "play the BD-R" are you saying the BD disc contains the format of a blu-ray video disc or are you trying to "read" data files from the BD-R disc? Any BD-ROM drive should be able to "read" any files from a BD-R. Or maybe not, in your case. LOL
    Quote Quote  
  5. It's a Blu-Ray disc, the player just acts like nothing was put in. Maybe I just got a bad disc, or I have to try it on another player just to make sure.
    Quote Quote  
  6. Oh, so it's a commercial BD disc (not a BD-R writable disc). Makes a difference. What SW are you using to "play" the BD? So the OS can see the BD but not the player SW.
    Quote Quote  
  7. The OS can see the Blu Ray drive, but not the disc inside. I open up MakeMKV and it tells me "No disc inserted". There is one other thing:

I bought the disc from an online store, it is Region Free. Other notes include "Note for best playback: Item will play best in regular standalone Blu-ray players and also on a ps3 and ps4. Item won't play on a xbox, xbox one, or xbox 360."

That's the whole story. I figured this Blu-Ray Player was still advanced enough to recognize such a disc.
    Quote Quote  
  8. Sounds like a very unusual BD disc. If OS can't see it then you may be out of luck. Like you said, it's only this disc. Never heard of such a thing. Good luck.
    Quote Quote  
  9. It isn't a 4K UHD Blu-Ray disc. is it? Just wondering....... never mind.
    Quote Quote  
  10. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Originally Posted by smike View Post
    The OS can see the Blu Ray drive, but not the disc inside. I open up MakeMKV and it tells me "No disc inserted". There is one other thing:

I bought the disc from an online store, it is Region Free. Other notes include "Note for best playback: Item will play best in regular standalone Blu-ray players and also on a ps3 and ps4. Item won't play on a xbox, xbox one, or xbox 360."

That's the whole story. I figured this Blu-Ray Player was still advanced enough to recognize such a disc.
    You should test the disc on a stand-alone Blu-ray player or one of the compatible game consoles, Technically speaking, you have a Blu-ray reader & CD/DVD burner combo optical drive that relies on software running on a computer for disc playback, so it is not exactly the same as a stand-alone Blu-ray player.

Movies released in limited numbers and custom burned to disc sometimes have defects or an unusual type of copy protection that interferes with playback, according to some posts that I have seen on VideoHelp.
    Ignore list: hello_hello, tried, TechLord, Snoopy329
    Quote Quote