VideoHelp Forum
+ Reply to Thread
Thread
    Search Comp PM
    I'm just curious here. I know how long it takes to rip a DL DVD (approximately, it varies).
    Blu-Ray disks have 3 - 6 times the amount of storage. (S/L + D/L).
    How long does it take to rip say a duel layer B-D? (50 ±?)
    With that much data on one, are they more prone to errors from scratching?
    I've never seen anything off a B-D, no B-D R, R/W, so I cant compare the two for 'quality'.

Just wondering, , ,

-corne-
    Yes, no, maybe, I don't know, Can you repeat the question?
    Quote Quote  
  2. Member
    Search Comp PM
    A few years ago I tested an LG WH14NS40 by ripping one Blu-ray disc and one DVD. It took 26 min. to decrypt and copy everything (31.4 GB) from my commercial Blu-Ray, which was in good condition. The maximum read speed that it reached while ripping the Blu-ray was 6.7x. The drive is capable of 12x read speeds, so it is rip locked but not badly crippled. Most if not all Blu-ray drives are rip-locked.

For comparison, it took 21 minutes to rip a commercial DVD with the same drive.
    Last edited by usually_quiet; 24th Apr 2021 at 13:04.
    Ignore list: hello_hello, tried, TechLord, Snoopy329
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    Thanks!
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    Now that I have started this, I'll continue, , ,

Once ripped from a blu-ray, can a file (movie) be converted to a size similar to a DVD sized (4.7 - 8.5 G) file without losing image quality?
    Quote Quote  
  5. Originally Posted by cornemuse View Post
    Once ripped from a blu-ray, can a file (movie) be converted to a size similar to a DVD sized (4.7 - 8.5 G) file without losing image quality?
    Of course not. Any re-compression with any lossy codec will lose quality. That's why they're called "lossy." But how much you lose will depend on what codecs and settings you use and the nature of the video itself. Whether you will see a difference depends on many factors.
    Quote Quote  
  6. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Originally Posted by cornemuse View Post

what program are you using to copy your blu-ray discs ?? with dvdfab, you can copy the whole disc, convert it to dvd disc - https://www.dvdfab.cn/tips/how-to-convert-blu-ray-to-a-dvd-5-disc.htm and - https://www.dvdfab.cn/blu-ray-to-dvd-converter.htm
    Quote Quote  
    Search PM
    Yes, you can, @october262, but you will STILL lose quality if recompressing lossily (e.g. when you are wanting to make the files smaller)

Scott
    Quote Quote  
  8. a good downsizer should save the removed detail and save it for when one wants to upconvert something to HD. I'm working on it, but I'm having a problem with a guy named Claude who insists it will never work.
    Quote Quote  
    Search PM
    @ConstantGardener, the fallacy in your logic is the assumption that a re-upsizer knew exactly what the original material was like BEFORE it got downsized. It doesn't (assuming you no longer have that original file). Your CURRENT source has been re-encoded (as one must) and so the new master is different from the original not only in the changes due to resizing, but also the losses due to that last generation of encoding. Plus possibly color system and/or subsampling changes (especially if going between UHD <--> HD or HD<-->SD). No LOSSY encoder saves those changes, or you wouldn't gain the benefits of lossy encoding. And if you are going lossless, plus adding sidecar changes, it makes more sense to just use the higher rez original. And if you have the original, there would be no need to go through all those steps just to come back around to where you started.

Unless I am reading your statement wrong...

Scott
    Quote Quote  
  10. Always wondered why when I downsized Stargate Universe to DVD, and subsequently upscaled Green Acres, I get spacecraft in quite inappropriate scenes. Evidently there are still some issues to resolve...
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    Originally Posted by october262 View Post
    Originally Posted by cornemuse View Post

what program are you using to copy your blu-ray discs ?? with dvdfab, you can copy the whole disc, convert it to dvd disc - https://www.dvdfab.cn/tips/how-to-convert-blu-ray-to-a-dvd-5-disc.htm and - https://www.dvdfab.cn/blu-ray-to-dvd-converter.htm
    Not attempted yet. Dont even have a BR-disk RW (in the comp) yet. Where I get DVD's (local librarys) they are getting BR disks, but not the same flicks on DVD.
    Quote Quote