VideoHelp Forum
+ Reply to Thread
Thread
  1. With all the New TVs like 4. K TVs and the 8. K TVs and the Blue Ray DVDs everything is in Supper HD.

Somebody Told my Aunt that Blue DVDs and Blue Ray DVDs and USB Thumb Drives are all going out.
    Everything will be Uploaded to the Cloud and Streamed.

They Told Her not to put any Family Videos on DVD or Blue Ray DVD or USB Thumb Drives.

My Aunt Told my Sister this and the last Time me and my Sister wre around my Aunt I had my Aunt Tell me everything.

Now my Sister has i think 2. VHS Tapes of the Family She wants to Turned over to DVD.

And She is Telling me She does not want to do it now because my Aunt Told us that DVDs and Blue Ray DVDs and the Players are going out.
    And not to put it on a USB Thumb Drive because USB Ports are going out as well.

I am trying to Tell them Both that USB Ports are not going out and DVDs and Blue Ray DVDs and Players are not going out.

I know the Cloud is taking over but not like this.

Am I Right or am I not?

I do not Buy what this Person was Telling my Aunt.
    Quote Quote  
  2. All technology is eventually outdated. I haven't used DVDs in years.
    Quote Quote  
  3. Capturing Memories dellsam34's Avatar
    Search PM
    What you should be worried about is VHS players will be out too, Few years from now it will harder and harder to come by a working VHS player so if you don't digitize your tapes now to any format it will be harder to play them back at all versus just converting a DVD disc to another future modern format.
    Quote Quote  
  4. at least with a usb copy of the captures (and back ups on the cloud of you must, or HDD) you will always have a version that is easier to move around and convert, than a version burned to disc formats like dvd or BD that will need ripping again.
    Quote Quote  
  5. It depends on the family member or friend you talk to, and to some degree what country you live in. Those who are very technical-minded are using the cloud, yes, and its very true that DVD/BluRay are dying out rapidly as consumer formats.

BUT: there are still MILLIONS of people, esp older, who have no idea what "the cloud" is or how to use it, nor do they even know how to make a USB stick work in their new TV. Also, most of the non-disc TV playback systems are not logical to use: they're needlessly difficult and confusing, even for those of us who use computers all day. Sometimes its a great relief to just put a disc in a disc player and press the "play" button.

So if you would prefer to have DVDs made of these two family tapes, no problem. The recordings on the DVD are digital: they can be easily copied from the DVD to a USB stick and/or the cloud (for those family members who want that instead). VHS family videos are much lower than blu ray quality, so there is no advantage to making them into BluRay format: making dvds is easier, and dvds are compatible with both dvd and bluray players (and any laptop or desktop computer with a disc drive).

Another important question is who will make the DVDs or files from the VHS. If someone in the family already owns a dvd recorder and wants to do it that way, it might be the easier choice. If you will be paying a service to digitize the tapes, the service may offer different options at different costs (most now offer a bundle of USB stick + dvd + cloud). Note copying directly from VHS to a dvd recorder gives an average quality result: the best possible quality requires a lot of expensive hardware and skill to create a huge master file that is then reduced to more practical size for phone screens, TV, cloud, etc. This is most often done by enthusiasts at home, it is difficult to find professional service at this quality level in many countries (most just use a dvd recorder).
    Last edited by orsetto; 23rd Apr 2021 at 18:04.
    Quote Quote  
  6. Member
    Search Comp PM
    "Somebody" hasn't got a clue or is being deliberately mischievous.

Orsetto writes a lot of sense.

If they know how to use a DVD player, give them DVDs. If they know how to use a USB in a TV, give them that.

Capture your home movies and put them onto whatever technology suits your family members.

Once it's in digital format, you will never lose it. If you can, keep the original captures so you can convert it to the format of the day, which will, of course, eventually become streaming but the others (DVD and USB) are certainly still main-stream and viable, especially for the oldies.
    Quote Quote  
  7. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Lots of people still use something other than the cloud or streaming services to watch video because they lack adequate Internet service. Others still buy or rent most movies on optical media because they want better quality than they can get from streaming.
    Ignore list: hello_hello, tried, TechLord, Snoopy329
    Quote Quote  
  8. And don't forget that if we ever have a war that effects the US, the cloud will probably not be available.
    Extraordinary claims require extraordinary evidence -Carl Sagan
    Quote Quote