VideoHelp Forum
+ Reply to Thread
Thread
  1. Hi, I've recently begun a project of preserving a TV show I'm recording from my OTA antenna Plex server. Those files get recording in TS format, and to resize (to 640x480)/edit in Premiere I convert them to MP4 files then begin editing out the commercials. That process works out great, especially with shortcuts and while a bit time consuming will be worth it since Sony has made no plans for years releasing the rest of the show on DVD. The one thing I'm running into is the subtitles. I can't seem to figure out what the process I need to hopefully edit those in-conjunction with the cuts I make for syncing it all correctly. It doesn't seem Premiere is saving those when I export the files. What would be the process I need to do to make it all happen? I'd think I need to export the subtitles first, but couldn't figure out how to do that on the Mac. But I also don't know if the cuts would fall in line when I import the subtitles. Any of you guys do this?
    Quote Quote  
  2. Okay, figured out how on a Mac to export the SRT file from the original video. I'm assuming I can't import into Premiere and make the cuts there for it right (since it looks like a text file)? So now my question is, is there any way for me to automatically edit, cut and sync out all the commercial parts and match it up to the new time of the video? If I have to do it by hand, don't think it's worth that effort.
    Quote Quote  
  3. SRT files can be loaded into Premiere. Just drag the .srt into your project, then place it on a video or subtitle layer in the timeline (depending on which version of Premiere you are using.)
    Quote Quote  
  4. Originally Posted by smrpix View Post
    SRT files can be loaded into Premiere. Just drag the .srt into your project, then place it on a video or subtitle layer in the timeline (depending on which version of Premiere you are using.)
    Awesome! I tried placing it on the main video layer, but that didn't seem to work right so I tried again and played it on the 2nd video one above it. I didn't see a subtitle layer. Doing that seemed to work, and I was able to make cuts there. Would just have to do it twice (on both the main video layer and the 2nd video one with the subtitles. Exporting seemed to work best with exporting it as a external .srt file. That's what I want to do here right? Any tips for merging them back together easily? Or debating just leaving them externally.
    Quote Quote  
  5. In your timeline, lasso your video track and your subtitle track to they are both selected. Right click on one or the other and choose link in the dropdown. Now any edits you make to one will be made in both.

The best way to export them is determined by what file format you intend to end up with and how you will be viewing your final output. The actual steps are determined by what version of Premiere you are using. (In the last few weeks Adobe has overhauled it's captioning to make it more flexible and functional.) A little experimentation with a short subset of your timeline will probably tell you what works best for you.
    Last edited by smrpix; 24th Apr 2021 at 06:27.
    Quote Quote  
  6. Originally Posted by smrpix View Post
    In your timeline, lasso your video track and your subtitle track to they are both selected. Right click on one or the other and choose link in the dropdown. Now any edits you make to one will be made in both.

The best way to export them is determined by what file format you intend to end up with and how you will be viewing your final output. The actual steps are determined by what version of Premiere you are using. (In the last few weeks Adobe has overhauled it's captioning to make it more flexible and functional.) A little experimentation with a short subset of your timeline will probably tell you what works best for you.
    Okay, I'm using Adobe Premiere 2020 CC FYI. Wasn't sure how to lasso the 2 video tracks together so they were both selected. But I was able to figure out how to select all 3 tracks (Command A) and using the cut tool pressing the shift button down enabled me to edit all 3 tracks at once. Using the shortcut tool worked too! So that's all figured out now.

Looks like I def don't want to export using Burn Captions Into Video, as it does exactly that. What other options do the later versions gives you? So I'm thinking exporting as the .srt file is the way to go.
    Quote Quote