VideoHelp Forum
+ Reply to Thread
Thread
    drifting, somewhere on the Sea of Cynicism
    Search Comp PM
    I have the models One and Two, am not seeing further mention of the model Three though there is online a sales page for SkyStream PRO 8K. That suggests the company is still in existence. (?) Earlier models like the ones I have were updated for a long time via their dedicated app for this, but of course all products run their course and reach an EOL. Or at least an End of Support. I'm noting that the last update for the Two was sometime in 2019, and there doesn't appear to be any further functionality from their Updater. (Or have fellow Skystream owners found anything different ? More recent support response from the company ?) Of course, this would mean that their proprietary edition of Kodi is even older and probably useless, that their streaming gateway apps like for Netflix have fallen far behind being current also. (The Netflix gateway on my WD Live TV box, which predates the Skystream boxes by several years, still works for the very basics -- sorta, kinda -- although many later UI features are not present . . . . ) So, I'm wondering if the Skystream boxes are now just paperweights ?
    When in Las Vegas, don't miss the Pinball Hall of Fame Museum http://www.pinballmuseum.org/ -- with over 150 tables from 6+ decades of this quintessentially American art form.
    Quote Quote  
  2. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Quote Quote  
  3. I have the Model Two and use it daily. You can even install Kodi on it and use Kodi directly.
    Quote Quote  
    drifting, somewhere on the Sea of Cynicism
    Search Comp PM
    Originally Posted by manono View Post
    I have the Model Two and use it daily. You can even install Kodi on it and use Kodi directly.
    So, I'd have to ditch their very outdated, proprietary Kodi (whatever they called it) and sideload standard, authentic Kodi onto it. However, if -- as one reviewer at october262's link said -- their Android stopped at an old and by now outdated version, it might not support current Android apps or Kodi properly ?

At the time I bought the Model Two, I think Dragon Box had just been forced out of business, leaving Skystream as perhaps the best available bet from the hardware and software perspectives. The fact that Skystream heavily curated and maintained their offering (meaning that you didn't have to bother with that) greatly added to the draw. If that is gone now, so is most of this unit's value. I thought this company might be one to stay the course, but now it appears that is not the case.

I have dabbled in this, and have a roster of streaming boxes that I've used. Feature wise, an earlier generation of the Amazon Fire TV was preferable to those that came later. I have a Roku Ultimate also, but based on reports from a friend who bought one a couple years later, this (supposedly top of line) model may also have gotten downgraded.

There were always a bunch of cheap, generic, no-name Android streamer boxes on the market, plus a couple like Minix that had some pedigree behind them. (Minix being a known company, with a regular product line. Their dual-sided gyro remote is quite good.) If one is not particularly concerned about price, what else is on the market these days that could be considered "the best" ? It may be that the answer is going to be Nvidia Shield: I have a couple of those, in different locations, and it is my favorite at the present time. Just recently set up HBO Max on them . . . though they may be starting to get maxxed out (no pun intended) in terms of all that's on them. I'm not sure how well they may accommodate Kodi.
    When in Las Vegas, don't miss the Pinball Hall of Fame Museum http://www.pinballmuseum.org/ -- with over 150 tables from 6+ decades of this quintessentially American art form.
    Quote Quote  
  5. Originally Posted by Seeker47 View Post
    So, I'd have to ditch their very outdated, proprietary Kodi (whatever they called it) and sideload standard, authentic Kodi onto it.
    No, I use them both, side by side.
    Quote Quote