VideoHelp Forum
+ Reply to Thread
Thread
  1. Certain hauppauge devices will capture HD video and surround audio from HDMI/optical connections, but all their devices HW compress internally (via a lossy codec) and there is no combination of filtering that I can find that will get around this. HD Quality is decent from HPG devices but always compressed...

Are there device(s) in existence (that don't cost as much as a small car) that can capture video @ 1080P, 2k, 4K (e.g. hi-rez HD lossless) via an HDMI or Fiber connection that can also capture multi channel surround audio (not 2 channel) as well in PCM (raw, uncompressed) format??
    Quote Quote  
    Search PM
    My YouTube channel with little clips: vhs-decode, comparing TBC, etc.
    Quote Quote  
  3. That thread above is two years old now...

With all the NEW tech advances being floated almost daily there has been NO movement on this front AT ALL??

Has there been any support added to anything (capture-ware wise) regarding the Magewell HDMI USB capture devices?

Also of interest - is there some reason why VirtualDub2-x64 does not seem to like Hauppauge capture devices? When trying to get VDub2 to connect to my HD PVR 2+ it promptly errors out with "cannot connect to the desired capture driver"... It shows up in the device selection OK but gives the before mentioned error when attempting to select it...

It would be nice if one could separate the source devices for audio and video in VDub2. Since I have a Magewell USB device which does seem to be able to record video with a "lossless" codec (huffyYUV2). Since I have the HD PVR2+ which has a optical output that produces Mutli-channel AC3 audio, this could be a low cost solution of sorts to record at least "lossless" video albeit w/pre-processed AC3 Dolby 5.1 audio.
    Last edited by thghgv; 19th Apr 2021 at 20:21.
    Quote Quote  
  4. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Originally Posted by thghgv View Post
    Also of interest - is there some reason why VirtualDub2-x64 does not seem to like Hauppauge capture devices? When trying to get VDub2 to connect to my HD PVR 2+ it promptly errors out with "cannot connect to the desired capture driver"... It shows up in the device selection OK but gives the before mentioned error when attempting to select it....
    The problem is that HD-PVR 2 Gaming Edition Plus always encodes video using its own onboard encoding chip but Virtualdub2 is only compatible with capture devices that output uncompressed video and depend on software running on the PC for encoding.
    Ignore list: hello_hello, tried, TechLord, Snoopy329
    Quote Quote  
  5. Originally Posted by usually_quiet View Post
    Also of interest - is there some reason why VirtualDub2-x64 does not seem to like Hauppauge capture devices? When trying to get VDub2 to connect to my HD PVR 2+ it promptly errors out with "cannot connect to the desired capture driver"... It shows up in the device selection OK but gives the before mentioned error when attempting to select it....
    The problem is that HD-PVR 2 Gaming Edition Plus always encodes video using its own onboard encoding chip but Virtualdub2 is only compatible with capture devices that output uncompressed video and depend on software running on the PC for encoding.
    Virtualdub2 does actually work with MotionJPEG cards, as I have a cheap HDMI capture card that uses that. I know that's not relevant to this, but just wanted to point that out.
    Quote Quote  
  6. Originally Posted by usually_quiet View Post
    [/QUOTE]

I used HPG's HD capture utility to capture a low rez transport stream of some HDMI source content with a 5.1 audio stream with the HD PVR2+ HDMI port, and then simultaneously ran VDub2 with a Magewell usb device using the loop thru HDMI to record the video stream in HuffyYUV lossless. This worked in capturing the simultaneous streams of PVR content, but then comes down to the PITA task of syncing audio to video (no time code or markers) and it seemed as well that even when getting the two synced in once place it drifted out of sync in others. Tried doing the re-sync in Vdub.

To be quite honest the video quality increase was not sufficient to warrant a 10 fold increase in wasted time thru the work flow of simply getting the A/V streams reassembled.

Has anyone had any luck consistently capturing full surround 5.1/7.1 source audio and HD video recorded in "lossless" format with a magewell cap card and VDub2 or some other capture aid?

Or has anyone had any luck finding a decryption tool for PVR files moved to offline devices?
    Quote Quote  
  7. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Originally Posted by BlueTech View Post
    Originally Posted by usually_quiet View Post
    Virtualdub2 does actually work with MotionJPEG cards, as I have a cheap HDMI capture card that uses that. I know that's not relevant to this, but just wanted to point that out.
    Does this device perhaps appear to be a webcam as far as Windows is concerned? Any capture device that emulates a webcam will most likely work.
    Quote Quote  
  8. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Has anyone had any luck consistently capturing full surround 5.1/7.1 source audio and HD video recorded in "lossless" format with a magewell cap card and VDub2 or some other capture aid?
    FLP437 seems to have had success in that regard with a Magewell Pro Capture HDMI PCI-e card. If FLP437 has PM available you could ask him to confirm that he has been able to consistently capture full surround 5.1/7.1 source audio and lossless HD video with that card. (FLP437 is one of the members who replied in https://forum.videohelp.com/threads/392907-Is-there-a-lossless-video-capture-card-that...res-5-1-audio/)

The specs for the Magewell USB HDMI capture devices say they are only capable of capturing 2-channel audio. If I recall correctly, FLP437 mentioned somewhere that is due to hardware limitations.
    Quote Quote  
  9. Originally Posted by usually_quiet View Post
    FLP437 seems to have had success in that regard with a Magewell Pro Capture HDMI PCI-e card. If FLP437 has PM available you could ask him to confirm that he has been able to consistently capture full surround 5.1/7.1 source audio and lossless HD video with that card. (FLP437 is one of the members who replied in https://forum.videohelp.com/threads/392907-Is-there-a-lossless-video-capture-card-that...res-5-1-audio/).
    Yep, I saw that. As I mentioned above that thread is two+ years old now. Was hoping some further progress has been made in this realm but it seems not.

The specs for the Magewell USB HDMI capture devices say they are only capable of capturing 2-channel audio. If I recall correctly, FLP437 mentioned somewhere that is due to hardware limitations.
    Correct. Which is why I was only using the Magewell USB HDMI+ to record HuffyYUV encoded video and was discarding the audio altogether from that recording. What I proposed above did in fact work - making the two recordings in one simultaneous pass of the source. However from what I can see the time wasted having to sync the Surround audio stream pulled from the HD PVR2+ recording, with the lossless video stream pulled from the Magewell recording, far outweighs the perceived video quality increase observed as a result. If the Magewell PCI-e cards are in fact capable of doing this deed via Vdub2 and saving it in a nice neat .AVI package all pre-synced and ready to be edited, that would definitely be something to consider.

What would be most helpful is a method of decrypting the stuff from the PVR natively. Simply because all content recordings are able to be moved from the internal medium of the PVR device and placed onto external media with easy access to the files. As it stands, everything has to be re-recorded in real time thru the PVR device display circuitry which is quite a PITA in/of itself and just that much more opportunity for degradation of the content.
    Last edited by thghgv; 20th Apr 2021 at 14:25.
    Quote Quote  
  10. Member
    Search Comp PM
    FLP437 seems to have had success in that regard with a Magewell Pro Capture HDMI PCI-e card. If FLP437 has PM available you could ask him to confirm that he has been able to consistently capture full surround 5.1/7.1 source audio and lossless HD video with that card. (FLP437 is one of the members who replied in https://forum.videohelp.com/threads/392907-Is-there-a-lossless-video-capture-card-that...res-5-1-audio/).
    Yep, I saw that. As I mentioned above that thread is two+ years old now. Was hoping some further progress has been made in this realm but it seems not.
    FWIW new posts were still being added periodically to that 2+-years old thread as recently as January of this year, so it's still a live thread for the purposes of this forum.

If the Magewell PCI-e cards are in fact capable of doing this deed via Vdub2 and saving it in a nice neat .AVI package all pre-synced and ready to be edited, that would definitely be something to consider.
    You'll have to ask FLP437 to find out if he has gotten to that point.
    Quote Quote  
  11. Also of interest - is there some reason why VirtualDub2-x64 does not seem to like Hauppauge capture devices? When trying to get VDub2 to connect to my HD PVR 2+ it promptly errors out with "cannot connect to the desired capture driver"... It shows up in the device selection OK but gives the before mentioned error when attempting to select it...
    If you are using Win8 or Win10, make sure that Camera Permissions are turned-on. Go to Settings->Privacy->Camera. Make sure that "Allow apps to access camera" is set to "On". I ran into the same problem. Windows appears to see video-cap devices as cameras. It can always be switched "Off" again, once video capture is complete.
    Quote Quote