VideoHelp Forum
+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2
1 2 LastLast
Thread
  1. Hi... I'm Salvo from Foggia, a city of Puglia in Italy. I'm new in this forum. I like music (metal, hard rock, fusion, jazz rock, blues), i like movies, anime and pc games. Lately i'm trying to enhance some videos, but i'm a beginner. I'm searching for some help and some explanation.

I have the DVDs of Royal Hunt concerts with DC Cooper that are interlaced. I'm trying to enhance video quality and upscale the concerts.

1) I have created a single mkv from the dvd with MAKEMKV.
    2) In Mediatab i can see that the file is Interlaced TFF 29.97 NTSC.
    3) I Deinterlace the file with Ripbot using QTGMC(preset=“Slower”, InputType=0, sourceMatch=3, Lossless=2, FPSDivisor=2).

Now i have the finished file, but i have seen the same file on youtube that doesn't have the problem of my file. My rip is from the official DVD (The DVD has the same artifacts).

My question is:

How can i go from this file (i don't know the technical name of the problems, but you can see the problem on the mic stand, you can see three line of the mic stand, please tell me the name of this problem):

https://drive.google.com/file/d/1Xms31k8CSD7CjOgUlRR-7Dm0kuxmx6Xv/view?usp=sharing

to this file (this file is from youtube and is much better not for the quality or the bitrate, but for less artifacts).

https://drive.google.com/file/d/1zjGsjrob60-QHIIS_9IXkFQD_-niXjJW/view?usp=sharing

second question, is my qtgmc line good?

P.S. there are some other artifacts on the shirt of the vocalist (probably oversharpening??? Please instruct me).
    Last edited by salvo00786; 13th Apr 2021 at 10:23.
    Quote Quote  
  2. You should upload a sample of the original MPEG2 video. I don't see any ghosting. What I think you're talking about is the oversharpening halos at high contrast edges. There are filters for that but they tend to damage the video too much. Hardly anything is shot at 30p. Your DVD is probably 30i. So you should not use FPSDivisor=2. And I'm generally not a believer in keeping the original scan lines -- I usually prefer to have better looking video than more accurate video.
    Quote Quote  
  3. Ok, thanks for your reply. After deleting FPSDIVISOR, what i have to change for not keeping the original scanlines?

If you can, tell me in general what i have to change in the QTGMC string.

Can you see the difference between the two videos? What can i do for the oversharpening without using filters?

Do you want an upload of the original interlaced video?
    Last edited by salvo00786; 13th Apr 2021 at 13:01.
    Quote Quote  
  4. 1) Ok, this is an example of the original video, from 00:00:22, you can see various lines near the mic and the singer. What is that? Oversharpening?

https://drive.google.com/file/d/1fk0haQwuPCYTCP9xiZaY0AsAhc3V1tFj/view?usp=sharing

2) This is another sample from the dvd. I see something like ghosting (or i don't know the name of the problem), in all the scene with the singer in the distance:

https://drive.google.com/file/d/16_AO1l_z5T3URKnG6CTWx43arP2pBgJ2/view?usp=sharing.

3) Another question for the latest link:

What denoiser i have to use? MDEGRAIN, KNLMEANSCL or simpy DENOISER III by Magic bullet? If you think that MDEGRAIN or KNLMEANSCL are ok for the video, please give me a string, thanks.
    Last edited by salvo00786; 13th Apr 2021 at 13:19.
    Quote Quote  
  5. I think all the "ghosting" you are talking about is oversharpening halos. Removing them is pretty damaging to the picture but you can further fix it a bit with a content aware sharpening. Try something like this for the first video:

Code:
    LWLibavVideoSource("Prova 1.mkv", cache=false, prefer_hw=2) 

# deinterlace
    QTGMC(sharpness=0.7) 

# halo removal, sharpening
    BilinearResize(width/2, height)
    dehalo_alpha(rx=3.0, ry=3.0, darkstr=0.7, brightstr=0.7)
    Sharpen(0.5, 0.2)
    TurnRight().nnedi3(dh=true).TurnLeft()
    CAS(0.7)
    The second video also has aliasing from a poor deinterlace. QTGMC(InputType=2) can fix that pretty well:

Code:
    LWLibavVideoSource("1996 Live (Another Version) (1)-001-002.mkv", cache=false, prefer_hw=2) 

# fix bad deinterlacing
    QTGMC(InputType=2)

Sharpen(0.5, 0.2)
    #Sharpen(0.3)
    CAS(0.7)
    If you want some noise reduction, since you are already using QTGMC, try it's noise reduction by adding "EZDenoise=1.0, DemoiseMC=true" to its list of options. Higher EZDenoise values give more noise reduction. But I wouldn't go over 2.0.
    Quote Quote  
  6. Ok, but I have to start from 0 and from original file to deinterlace the file with these strings or can I operate on the deinterlaced file?
    Ok, I have seen that InputType 2 is for progressive videos (tell me if i'm wrong but I think that your string work with the video after deinterlacing). What are the differences between 2 and 3? How is possible that the file is poorly deinterlaced? I used QTGMC(preset=“Slower”, InputType=0, sourceMatch=3, Lossless=2, FPSDivisor=2).

After deleting FPSDIVISOR, what i have to change for not keeping the original scanlines?
    If you can, tell me in general what i have to change in the QTGMC string.
    If i want to use QTGMC(InputType=2), can you write me the complete string?

Another question. You told me to delete FPSDIVISOR. Why, what are the pro and the cons?

I figured that i have to import the plugin and the script in Ripbot with a string like
    Code:

Sharpen(0.5, 0.2)
    #Sharpen(0.3)
    Loadplugin("A:\PORTABLE\RipBot264v1.26.0\Tools\Avi Synth plugins\CAS\CAS.dll")
    CAS(0.7)

If i remove the first portion of code, Cas works, but when i add the first portion, something goes wrong. I downloaded Dehalo_alpha_MT2.avsi. Since is avsi that is an autoload plugin, i don't have to import it, right? I have placed it in the Ripbot\Avisynth plugins directory.

where is the error?
    Last edited by salvo00786; 14th Apr 2021 at 06:06.
    Quote Quote  
  7. I don't use ripbot so I don't know exactly how you should deal with it. You may need to manually import the dehalo and nnedi3. But why don't you just do the obvious -- add filters one at a time until you see what's breaking?
    Quote Quote  
  8. Ok, your input was good, because i analyzed all the string one by one and i've found the solution.

Please give me a good string for QTGMC, or simply

QTGMC(Preset="Slower",sharpness=0.7,FPSDivisor=2), is good enough? Why i have to delete FPSDIVISOR?

Please give me an answer for the other questions.
    Last edited by salvo00786; 14th Apr 2021 at 10:47.
    Quote Quote  
  9. Using FPSDivisor=2 will give you 30p video. You will lose half the motion in your source. You want to get 60p video from that source.
    Quote Quote  
  10. Originally Posted by jagabo View Post
    And I'm generally not a believer in keeping the original scan lines -- I usually prefer to have better looking video than more accurate video.
    Please, explain this to me this sentence. Is that referred to Lossless and SourceMatch or to FPSDIVISOR?
    Sourcematch and Lossless are used only for progressive videos? I have used these the first time for deinterlacing the video... Am i wrong?

Another question... I want to delete some flickering. I have tried the trick of the three movies in a single sequence, each one start 1 frame after the other with an opacity of 100, 67, 33 in Premiere. The flicker is gone but inevitably i've created much ghosting. Can you tell me some other trick to remove the flickering without ghosting or some trick to remove the ghosting created?
    Quote Quote  
  11. Originally Posted by salvo00786 View Post
    Originally Posted by jagabo View Post
    And I'm generally not a believer in keeping the original scan lines -- I usually prefer to have better looking video than more accurate video.
    Please, explain this to me this sentence. Is that referred to Lossless and SourceMatch or to FPSDIVISOR?
    SourceMatch and Lossless. Those features try to keep the original scan lines intact (more accurate) at the expense of less smoothness (aliased, flickering edges).

Originally Posted by salvo00786 View Post
    Sourcematch and Lossless are used only for progressive videos?
    They are for interlaced video. Read the documentation.

http://avisynth.nl/index.php/QTGMC#Source_Match_.2F_Lossless

I have used these the first time for deinterlacing the video... Am i wrong?
    Try both ways and decide for yourself.

I want to delete some flickering. I have tried the trick of the three movies in a single sequence, each one start 1 frame after the other with an opacity of 100, 67, 33 in Premiere. The flicker is gone but inevitably i've created much ghosting. Can you tell me some other trick to remove the flickering without ghosting or some trick to remove the ghosting created?
    Use a deflicker filter? I didn't see any (non-intentional) flicker in your samples.
    Quote Quote  
  12. From the middle of the concert until the end there are blue light and so much flickering, like you can see in this file:

https://drive.google.com/file/d/1e4YSs5G7qpI6-FW7VinSDwWZhbYuA954/view?usp=sharing

What filter and what string can i use?
    Quote Quote  
  13. That's supposed to be flickering. Some of the lights are strobing.
    Quote Quote  
  14. Hi... Yesterday probably I've found a way to delete the oversharpening lines. I sharpened the file a lot, and after that i have used in premiere Gaussian Blur on the horizontal lines. The oversharpening lines are gone and the oversharpening (intentionally added by me), is soften. But i'm only trying, is not definitive. Now i'm rendering the video. After that, i will give you some information about the results.
    Last edited by salvo00786; 15th Apr 2021 at 19:12.
    Quote Quote  
  15. After the rendering, I don't like the results. The gaussian blur is too powerful (i have used the low profile). Obviously, the file now is totally defocused. I don't know if there is something that can help me to refocus the file without the oversharpening lines. I will post two example of the original and of the blurred file.
    Quote Quote  
  16. I don't know if you tried it but here's the result of the first script in post #5.

Oh, I also cropped 8 pixels of the left and right edges.
    Image Attached Files
    Last edited by jagabo; 15th Apr 2021 at 12:47.
    Quote Quote  
  17. Hi... Yes i have tried and I thank you for that but when i utilize a denoiser on the file the oversharpening is more visible because the noise is gone.

https://ibb.co/jWGP4Lj
    Quote Quote  
  18. Yes, in that particular shot the ringing by the microphone is much worse than elsewhere. To get rid of that is going to be very damaging to the overal picture. So I concentrated on other parts of the video, like the halo around the singer's arm in that image.
    Quote Quote  
  19. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Looks like this needs a bit of reading, here's the discussion:

https://forum.doom9.org/showthread.php?t=176860
    Quote Quote  
  20. I want to try this script, but something is wrong.

Loadplugin("A:\PORTABLE\RipBot264v1.26.0\Tools\Avi Synth plugins\RgTools\RgTools.dll")

Loadplugin("A:\PORTABLE\RipBot264v1.26.0\Tools\Avi Synth plugins\nnedi3\nnedi3.dll")

Loadplugin("A:\PORTABLE\RipBot264v1.26.0\Tools\Avi Synth plugins\masktools\masktools2.dll")

Loadplugin("A:\PORTABLE\RipBot264v1.26.0\Tools\Avi Synth plugins\mvtools\mvtools2.dll")

Loadplugin("A:\PORTABLE\RipBot264v1.26.0\Tools\Avi Synth plugins\dfttest\libfftw3f-3t.dll")

Loadplugin("A:\PORTABLE\RipBot264v1.26.0\Tools\Avi Synth plugins\FFT3Dfilter\FFT3Dfilter.dll")

Loadplugin("A:\PORTABLE\RipBot264v1.26.0\Tools\Avi Synth plugins\dfttest\dfttest.dll")

LoadCplugin("A:\PORTABLE\RipBot264v1.26.0\Tools\Av iSynth plugins\Yadif\Yadif.dll")

Import("A:\PORTABLE\RipBot264v1.26.0\Tools\AviSynt h plugins\Scripts\Zs_RF_Shared.avsi")

Import("A:\PORTABLE\RipBot264v1.26.0\Tools\AviSynt h plugins\Scripts\QTGMC.avsi")

video=AssumeTFF(video).QTGMC(Preset="Slower", sharpness=0.7, SourceMatch=3, Lossless=2, Denoiser="dfttest", EZDenoise=2.0, NoisePreset="Slower", NoiseTR=2, DenoiseMC=True, FPSDivisor=2)

I want to try ezdenoise but the script doesn't start. What i have to load for use ezdenoise? What dll or avs I have to load? Ezdenoise is better than mdegrain or knlmeanscl?

Is there a light deflickering plugin?
    Last edited by salvo00786; 16th Apr 2021 at 08:23.
    Quote Quote  
  21. You didnt' open any video.
    Quote Quote  
  22. I had written only the part with the error, not the entire script. The video part is ok in the script. The problem is in the EZDENOISE part, because if i delete all the option relative to EZDENOISE, the script start. After some research, i have seen that knlmeanscl is the best high quality denoiser of the three, so much better than ezdenoise (I don't know if this statement is correct), and is included in Ripbot, but i want to give a try to EZDenoise.

What is the utility of the sRestore command?
    Quote Quote  
  23. Originally Posted by salvo00786 View Post
    I had written only the part with the error, not the entire script.
    When you have problems like "the script doesn't start" you should include the entire script.

The video part is ok in the script. The problem is in the EZDENOISE part, because if i delete all the option relative to EZDENOISE, the script start.
    Did you get an error message? Your script worked on my computer.

After some research, i have seen that knlmeanscl is the best high quality denoiser of the three, so much better than ezdenoise (I don't know if this statement is correct), and is included in Ripbot, but i want to give a try to EZDenoise.
    I recommended you try QTGMC's EZDenoise because you were already using QTGMC and it's denoising is adequate when you just need light denoising. KNLMeansCL is better generally.

What is the utility of the sRestore command?
    SRestore() decimates by removing the frames with the most blending. It's useful when you have blending from a frame rate conversion.
    Quote Quote  
  24. Ok, thanks for all the answers. I found the problem

Loadplugin("A:\PORTABLE\RipBot264v1.26.0\Tools\Avi Synth plugins\dfttest\libfftw3f-3t.dll")

This dll is not usable by ripbot like a plugin, instead this dll go in c:\windows\system32

I've tried EZDenoise but i like KNLMEANSCL more. I have tried a little piece of the file with your configuration plus Denoise. The result is better than my previous file but the aura on the singer is more visible after denoising:

https://ibb.co/cYYT03M.
    Quote Quote  
  25. Originally Posted by salvo00786 View Post

This dll is not usable by ripbot like a plugin, instead this dll go in c:\windows\system32
    Because that's not an AviSynth plugin. It's a Windows library.
    Quote Quote  
  26. After all my experiments, i want to start from zero from this file:

https://drive.google.com/file/d/1MKpMtSzEBSEFaHBCHQAh2PpELlqJj5dL/view?usp=sharing

Is this script good enough? Can You give me some better suggestion?

Code:
    #MT
    #PREFETCH_LIMIT=4

#VideoSource
    LoadPlugin("A:\PORTABLE\RipBot264v1.26.0\Tools\AviSynth plugins\lsmash\LSMASHSource.dll")
    video=LWLibavVideoSource("D:\da b\Royal Hunt\modifica\1996 Live (Another Version).mkv",cachefile="C:\Temp\RipBot264temp\job11\1996 Live (Another Version).mkv.lwi",prefer_hw=3)

#Deinterlace
    Loadplugin("A:\PORTABLE\RipBot264v1.26.0\Tools\AviSynth plugins\RgTools\RgTools.dll")
    Loadplugin("A:\PORTABLE\RipBot264v1.26.0\Tools\AviSynth plugins\nnedi3\nnedi3.dll")
    Loadplugin("A:\PORTABLE\RipBot264v1.26.0\Tools\AviSynth plugins\masktools\masktools2.dll")
    Loadplugin("A:\PORTABLE\RipBot264v1.26.0\Tools\AviSynth plugins\mvtools\mvtools2.dll")
    LoadCplugin("A:\PORTABLE\RipBot264v1.26.0\Tools\AviSynth plugins\Yadif\Yadif.dll")
    Import("A:\PORTABLE\RipBot264v1.26.0\Tools\AviSynth plugins\Scripts\Zs_RF_Shared.avsi")
    Import("A:\PORTABLE\RipBot264v1.26.0\Tools\AviSynth plugins\Scripts\QTGMC.avsi")
    video=AssumeTFF(video).QTGMC(Preset="Slower",sharpness=0.7)

#Decimate

#Crop
    video=Crop(video,0,0,-10,-10)

#Resize

#Tonemap

#Levels

#Colours

#Denoise

#Custom

#Prefetch
    video=Prefetch(video,4)

#After_Prefetch_Denoise
    LoadPlugin("A:\PORTABLE\RipBot264v1.26.0\Tools\AviSynth plugins\KNLMeansCL\KNLMeansCL.dll")
    video=KNLMeansCL(video,d=5, a=5, s=4, h=2, device_type="GPU", device_id=0)

#After_Prefetch_Custom

#Sharpen

#Borders

#Subtitles

#AudioSource
    Import("C:\Temp\RipBot264temp\job11\job11_a1.avs")

#Triming

#AVSameLength

#ColorSpace

Loadplugin("A:\PORTABLE\RipBot264v1.26.0\Tools\AviSynth plugins\nnedi3\nnedi3.dll")
    BilinearResize(720/2,480)
    Import("A:\PORTABLE\RipBot264v1.26.0\Tools\AviSynth plugins\Scripts\Dehalo_alpha.avsi")
    Sharpen(0.5, 0.2)
    Loadplugin("A:\PORTABLE\RipBot264v1.26.0\Tools\AviSynth plugins\CAS\CAS.dll")
    CAS(0.7)

#Return

P.S. Is the same if i write FPSDIVISOR=1 or i delete totally FPSDIVISOR?

What is the correct order of Denosing, sharpening, change aspect ratio to 16:9, deflickering, upscaling and recoloring after deinterlacing?

From the same concert, you can see on the letters, the interlaced variations of colours.

https://drive.google.com/file/d/1zIyyQTjwirFRfB8X3lYzV6DqJJIzGiRQ/view?usp=sharing

How can i correct these?
    Last edited by salvo00786; 17th Apr 2021 at 13:54.
    Quote Quote  
  27. I think that KNLMeansCL is way overdoing it. I would remove it. Or at least tone it down. I tweaked a few other settings:

Code:
    LWLibavVideoSource("definitive.mkv", cache=false, prefer_hw=2) 
    AssumeTFF()
    Crop(8,0,-8,-0)

QTGMC(Preset="Slower",sharpness=0.5)
    #KNLMeansCL(d=5, a=5, s=4, h=2, device_type="GPU", device_id=0)

BilinearResize(width/2,480)
    dehalo_alpha(rx=3.0, ry=2.0, darkstr=1.0, brightstr=1.0)
    MergeChroma(aWarpSharp2(depth=5), aWarpSharp2(depth=15))
    Sharpen(0.5, 0.0)
    CAS(0.7)
    Quote Quote  
  28. ok, thanks. What is the function of mergechroma? Is for the variations of colours?
    Quote Quote  
  29. MergeChroma merges the luma from the first clip and the chroma from the second. In this case I am sharpening the luma (intensities) a little, and the chroma (colors) a lot. That cleaned up a lot of dull color bands around many edges.
    Quote Quote  
  30. ah ok, thanks. What are your suggestions for KNLMeansCL?
    Quote Quote