VideoHelp Forum
+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 3
1 2 3 LastLast
Thread
  1. Member
    Search PM
    2 VCR recorders, 3 different video capture devices and 2 laptops but yet no picture. Have spent 26 hours trying to get a picture.

Firstly I bought a capture device on Ebay. Very cheap and knew they didn't have good reputations. When it installed, I got sound but no picture. Tried loads of different drivers that were recommended but none worked.

Threw the device in the bin and bought an August VGB100 from someone else had used it to capture video with no problems. Installed as per the instructions and once again, sound but no picture. Tried 2 VCR's, 3 different capture cards and 2 different laptops!!!!

I live in the UK so made sure the PAL/NTSC settings (if any show) was set to PAL I

Ran the software in in all sorts of compatiability settings from XP through to Windows 10 (My current system)

Used different software from Honestech, Cyberlink Power Director, VLC player etc.

Tried different leads.

I will try to attach a video of what I'm actually getting and hope that someone on here can put me in the right direction.
    Image Attached Files
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    Well most of these strange named capture devices are just the same easycraps.

However.

Are these simple vcrs or vcr/dvd combis ?

Are you attempting to capture a s-video source rather than a composite source ?
    Quote Quote  
  3. Member
    Search PM
    Both simple VCR's. Capturing with composite leads through scart. Tried two diffrent scarts too.
    Quote Quote  
  4. Member
    Search Comp PM
    VHS Macrovision ? Or Windows 10 privacy setting ?
    Last edited by davexnet; 11th Apr 2021 at 15:31.
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    Ok. But not the leads rather the settings on the capture software.

You can not use random drivers. The driver should have been supplied with the unit. Does Windoze see the capture device (Device Manager and no errors) and also the capture software.

And do try Amarectv and virtualdub.

I guess though you are using one of these scart to composite adapters. Do ensure that the adapter is correctly attached to the vcr. The screen suggests no video signal (I know that seems obvious) but if the pins on the adapter are not true......
    Quote Quote  
  6. What sort of SCART adapter did you use? You need one with an in/out switch, the ones without are usually input only.

I would suggest the VCRs with a TV if possible to isolate the issue.
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    ^^ If the adapter was input only there would be no sound either.
    Quote Quote  
  8. Member
    Search PM
    Device manager is showing properly installed and no problems.

Have used 2 scart to composite adapters and both do exactly the same, even in another VCR.

The adapters have a switch on them and this is set to OUTPUT.
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    Upload some screen-grabs of the software used on each page of the settings - you should get the blue screen preview somewhere on those pages
    Quote Quote  
  10. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Originally Posted by 1974darrenh View Post
    Device manager is showing properly installed and no problems.

Have used 2 scart to composite adapters and both do exactly the same, even in another VCR.

The adapters have a switch on them and this is set to OUTPUT.
    do you have the VCR set to the right channel or output selection ?? ie video out on the
    back of the VCR. here's the pdf guide that has some troubleshooting tips for no picture - https://www.augustint.com/download/manuals/VGB100_EN.pdf
    Last edited by october262; 11th Apr 2021 at 14:49.
    Quote Quote  
  11. Member
    Search PM
    This is one of the software's I am using as it came with the capture device.
    Image Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Screenshot (1).png
Views:	109
Size:	50.3 KB
ID:	58360  

Click image for larger version

Name:	Screenshot (2).png
Views:	119
Size:	101.8 KB
ID:	58361  

Name:	Screenshot (3).png
Views:	181
Size:	68.6 KB
ID:	58362  

Name:	Screenshot (4).png
Views:	130
Size:	75.2 KB
ID:	58363  

Quote Quote  
  12. Member
    Search PM
    This is the results with VLC.

Name:	Screenshot (5).png
Views:	94
Size:	69.5 KB
ID:	58364  

Name:	Screenshot (6).png
Views:	73
Size:	57.2 KB
ID:	58365  

Quote Quote  
  13. Member
    Search Comp PM
    This is one of the software's I am using as it came with the capture device.
    go to properties - compatibility then select reduced color mode then select 8bit
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    Do you have any other options in the 'Video Device' drop down ?

Crazy as it may appear, you do have the typically yellow composite plug in to the yellow socket in the device (and the adapter) (and not a white one)
    Quote Quote  
  15. Member
    Search PM
    Done the 8bit setting and made no difference.

Yellow lead is plugged into yellow socket.

Attached is a photo showing the 3 devices I've used and the scart connector set to output

Name:	172511426_441899666913390_166312000968520745_n.jpg
Views:	104
Size:	637.0 KB
ID:	58366  

Quote Quote  
  16. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Done the 8bit setting and made no difference.

Yellow lead is plugged into yellow socket.

Attached is a photo showing the 3 devices I've used and the scart connector set to output
    have you tried unplugging the VCR from the power outlet to reset it and then plugging it back in and see
    if you can get a picture ?
    Quote Quote  
  17. Member
    Search PM
    One of my VCR's has composites on the front as well as the back. I don't get picture or sound when plugged into the front ones and wonder if maybe the front ones are INPUT only. Unfortunaltely I can't find a manual online for it. Bush VCR923.

[Attachment 58369 - Click to enlarge]
    Quote Quote  
  18. Member
    Search PM
    Yes tried it. I have 2 VCR's.
    Quote Quote  
  19. Member
    Search PM
    and the videos show on the TV no problem.
    Quote Quote  
  20. Member
    Search Comp PM
    One of my VCR's has composites on the front as well as the back. I don't get picture or sound when plugged into the front ones and wonder if maybe the front ones are INPUT only. Unfortunaltely I can't find a manual online for it. Bush VCR923.

[Attachment 58369 - Click to enlarge]
    the connections on the front are input only, so you have to use the rear outputs (video out)
    and use the remote or channel buttons to select L2 for rear outputs
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    Here is an older thread about this capture device:

https://forum.videohelp.com/threads/350027-Does-anyone-have-an-August-VGB100-USB-2-0-V...-Capture-board

Read the very last post (which was un-answered)

My ultimate guess is that the issue is related to Windows10. No problems appear reported with Win7
    Quote Quote  
  22. Member
    Search PM
    The disk and software claim to be fully win10 compatiable. Even running it in win 7 or XP mode make no diffrence. Looks like I have to abandon the idea, however I'd like to ask this...........Because my video is showing on the TV, can I record my TV screen?
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    Only the software could work in 'compatability' mode. The issue here is hardware related.

Windows10 is notorious for breaking capture devices. What might have worked could easily fail after an update to the OS.

No. You can not record your TV screen.
    Quote Quote  
  24. Member
    Search PM
    I'm giving up.

Plan B - Because I can see my VHS on a TV, is there a simple way of recording the screen?
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    I'm giving up.

Plan B - Because I can see my VHS on a TV, is there a simple way of recording the screen?
    no
    --
    "a lot of people are better dead" - prisoner KSC2-303
    Quote Quote  
  26. Originally Posted by 1974darrenh View Post
    is there a simple way of recording the screen?
    Sure. Point a camera at the screen. Quality will be lacking though.
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    This thread is a great example of what not to do, what not to buy.

And you need patience. Video capture isn't a simple computer task, not a video game or Facebook, and has a slight learning curve. It's not dummy-friendly no-read point-and-click. Reading is needed, to comprehend what you're doing. Capture VHS isn't as easy as playing it on a VCR was.

- buy a quality capture card required, not a cheapo Chinese eBay/Amazon/Wish special
    - use VirtualDub, not other craptastic software
    - in PAL-land, beware of junk SCART converters
    Want my help? Ask here! (not via PM!)
    FAQs: Best Blank DiscsBest TBCsBest VCRs for captureRestore VHS
    Quote Quote  
  28. Capturing Memories dellsam34's Avatar
    Search PM
    The easiest way for the OP is to send his tapes to someone who knows how to capture them, Technology is not for everyone that's why people get paid for their skills.
    Quote Quote  
  29. Member
    Search Comp PM
    That sample indicates to me that something is getting through the VGB to the computer as it is not totally blue; there are flashes of video signal. I'd try a couple of different tapes.

I have the VGB-100 and the quality is quite good, on a par with my Phillips PCI card, and my GV-USB2 and USB-710.

I did have problems at one stage with it working properly with VDub, but uninstalled the software, rebooted and then re-installed and all was well.

I used the software off the August website, not the CD.

I'll reinstall it with my current W10 (20H2) and see what happens. Standby.

Regarding other options, there's always the Tape direct-to DVD route if you have access to a VCR/DVD combination machine. Worth a try, at least, though if you are computer-literate and prepared to learn a little, capturing is the best way to go. The basics are fairly straightforward but you can go really deep if you want.
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    Even if Win10 has not screwed up the ability to capture* the fact that there does indeed appear to be a semblance of a video signal suggests a problem with these scart >> composite adapters. The best type, if indeed you can still get them, are fully-wired with a proper scart plug (not a piece of tin with soldered connections) and cables.

*Now I did read a topic some days ago that a user had 'solved' his Win10 capture issues. I kinda dismissed the reply as I had not read that before. But, I guess, it is worth checking out just in case an update did do this. I have not a clue how you do it but check your privacy settings and allow for webcam access.

If this fails and you are sure that these adapters are not at fault then I would consider another option. Install Windows7 on one of your PC/Laptops. Use this just for capture with no other s/w installed.
    Quote Quote