VideoHelp Forum

Try StreamFab All-in-One and rip streaming video! Or Try DVDFab and copy Blu-rays! or rip iTunes movies!
+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 2
FirstFirst 1 2
Thread
  1. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Here we go. It's running on Win 10 20H2 in Virtual Dub (1.9.11):

[Attachment 58373 - Click to enlarge]

I only installed the drivers, not the Honestech DVD software.

Proc amp and histogram are working fine (thanks again, jagabo! You are THE legend).

Download VDub from here:
    http://www.digitalfaq.com/forum/video-conversion/1727-virtualdub-filters-pre.html

Capture guide here:
    http://www.digitalfaq.com/guides/video/capture-avi-virtualdub.htm

I have a hunch that it is important that, when pulling out your USB stick, that you "safely remove" it from Windows first; in the tray, click the "safely remove hardware" icon and click the "eject USB capture device" line.

Standby for a report on the Honestech software...

Who did shoot JR??
    Quote Quote  
  2. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Honestech working OK too. BUT, it records into MPEG 2, which is not desirable for advanced video processing. That said, it will be simpler putting the video onto a DVD using the Honestech capture fi you don't want to get too deep.

[Attachment 58374 - Click to enlarge]

Make sure you've got the settings set correctly . They're self-explanatory, but you have to open the Settings cog first (on the 1. Capture screen); mine wasn't set on the "Conexant Polaris Video Capture Device" (the VGB-100) for video or audio.

Graphstudio Proc Amp worked too, but no Histogram. On one try, it left a green haze over the image window when I exited the proc amp.

So, it works. Now we have to nut out why.
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    It may be useful if you were to guide the OP as to the correct way of installing the drivers.

I am not suggesting he did it wrong since he does have audio and 'some video' but the installation does vary according to OS. Sometimes it is load drivers BEFORE you first plug in the device. Then the OS will 'detect' the device and finish the install process.
    Quote Quote  
  4. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Yes, good call, DB83.

Here is what my Device Manager looks like:

[Attachment 58375 - Click to enlarge]

The VGB100 is the two "USB2.0" entries.

Do you have those, Darren?

If not, I'll post the install sequence that I used.

FYI, in this case, the instructions are to plug in the VGB100 first, then run the installer for the drivers and the Honestech DVD authoring software.
    Quote Quote  
  5. Originally Posted by DB83 View Post
    *Now I did read a topic some days ago that a user had 'solved' his Win10 capture issues. I kinda dismissed the reply as I had not read that before. But, I guess, it is worth checking out just in case an update did do this.
    Yes, this is a common problem -- Windows security blocking access to video input devices. Windows -> Settings -> Privacy -> App Permissions -> Camera. Allow Store Apps and Desktop Apps access to the camera/capture device.

[Attachment 58376 - Click to enlarge]
    Quote Quote  
    Search PM
    Forget about the VCR for now.

The first step in your troubleshooting should have been to hook up a 100% stable, standard video source via composite to the capture device. Some possibilities depending on what you have in your home:
    1. DVD player
    2. TV set-top box (STB)
    3. Camcorder (if analog tape then: Camera section, not Playback section and maybe not its internal Menu system either)
    4. Video game system that outputs standard PAL/NTSC video (basically, from the Sixth Generation onward, but even in that generation there were non-standard video modes with some games)
    In post #11 you showed a screenshot of the driver's Video Decoder tab. When it says Signal Detected: 0 that means one of these is true:
    1. There is no video source connected
    2. An incompatible video source is connected (like a 288p / 240p signal: VCR menu, VCR blue-back, earlier game console, etc.)
    3. An unstable video source is connected (like in your clip, the "snow" is being muted by the capture card -- that's 100% normal and expected for this device)
    You want Signal Detected: 1 to appear on that Decoder tab.

BTW, August VGB-100 = Diamond VC500. And the Hauppauge USB-Live2 is also a Conexant Polaris device.
    Last edited by Brad; 12th Apr 2021 at 07:50.
    (Formerly vaporeon800)
    Quote Quote  
  7. Member
    Search PM
    Yeah I might try installing win 7 and try that, but surely changing compatibility settings to win 7 should sort it? But it didn't.

In my device manager, the vgb100 is showing as USB camera and usb audio so it is installed right. I used the new drivers from the August site but still no difference..

I've tried at least 10 tapes and all the same, sound but no video.

Unfortunately my TV is quite new so it doesn't have a scart socket, and the composites are just a blue and a yellow jack plugs.
    Quote Quote  
  8. Member
    Search PM
    As for signal detected, it flicks between 0 & 1
    Quote Quote  
  9. Member
    Search PM
    Originally Posted by Alwyn View Post
    Yes, good call, DB83.

Here is what my Device Manager looks like:

[Attachment 58375 - Click to enlarge]

The VGB100 is the two "USB2.0" entries.

Do you have those, Darren?

If not, I'll post the install sequence that I used.

FYI, in this case, the instructions are to plug in the VGB100 first, then run the installer for the drivers and the Honestech DVD authoring software.
    Yes I have those.
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    I already told you what 'compatability mode' is for.

And did you check your Windows Privacy settings ? See jagabo's response above.
    Quote Quote  
  11. Member
    Search PM
    Originally Posted by jagabo View Post
    Originally Posted by DB83 View Post
    *Now I did read a topic some days ago that a user had 'solved' his Win10 capture issues. I kinda dismissed the reply as I had not read that before. But, I guess, it is worth checking out just in case an update did do this.
    Yes, this is a common problem -- Windows security blocking access to video input devices. Windows -> Settings -> Privacy -> App Permissions -> Camera. Allow Store Apps and Desktop Apps access to the camera/capture device.

[Attachment 58376 - Click to enlarge]
    All done and no difference. This is getting ridiculous.
    Quote Quote  
  12. Member
    Search PM
    I'm gonna try installing win 7 and dual boot it.
    Quote Quote  
  13. Member
    Search PM
    Well That was a waste of time. Win 7 wont install. Another problem!!!!!!!!
    Quote Quote  
  14. Win7 is very difficult to install on modern hardware. If you really want to pursue that see this thread:
    https://forum.videohelp.com/threads/384921-Windows-7-Image-Updater-SkyLake-KabyLake-Co...n-Threadripper
    Quote Quote  
  15. Member
    Search PM
    Win7 is very difficult to install on modern hardware. If you really want to pursue that see this thread:
    https://forum.videohelp.com/threads/384921-Windows-7-Image-Updater-SkyLake-KabyLake-Co...n-Threadripper
    Thank you for that. Gonna give it a try now
    Quote Quote  
  16. Member
    Search PM
    Good news, it's now working. The heads on the VCR needed cleaning. I took it apart and cleaned the heads with aftershave and voila, it worked.
    Quote Quote  
  17. So Win7 is what got it working?
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    Maybe one should be reminded of what you wrote in reply #19 >> "The videos show fine on the tv" (or words to that effect)

Blue/Green screen is NOT a consequence of dirty video heads.

But if it is working now........
    Quote Quote  
  19. Originally Posted by 1974darrenh View Post
    The heads on the VCR needed cleaning. I took it apart and cleaned the heads with aftershave and voila, it worked.
    This line wins the internet for today.
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    Win7 is very difficult to install on modern hardware. If you really want to pursue that see this thread:
    Huh? Not really.
    WinXP isn't even a huge challenge these days, thanks to the Integral Edition fan project.
    Want my help? Ask here! (not via PM!)
    FAQs: Best Blank DiscsBest TBCsBest VCRs for captureRestore VHS
    Quote Quote  
  21. Now I did read a topic some days ago that a user had 'solved' his Win10 capture issues.
    That was me. A Win10 update had turned-off my camera permissions. This had disabled my capture drivers. Turning permissions back on solved the problem.

Go to Settings->Privacy->Camera. Turn on "Allow apps to access camera". See if this helps. For some reason, Win10 sees video capture devices as cameras.

It is possible that the capture devices are being finicky with the video signals. I have a "Dazzle" device that routinely loses the video, whenever there is a flaw or blank spot in the tape. I would have to stop capture and restart it, to get the video to reappear. If you are using VDub to capture, try Capture->Test Video Capture, and see if your video appears (no file will be created). There are times though, when the Dazzle completely goes south (no video under any circumstance) like when I run my analog signal through the line TBC of the Panasonic ES-15. For some reason, the Dazzle doesn't like the output of the Panasonic. Conversely, I have found that the Hauppauge USB-610 continues to render video, no matter what the circumstance.
    Last edited by anachronon; 15th Apr 2021 at 10:36.
    Quote Quote