VideoHelp Forum
+ Reply to Thread
Thread
  1. Hey guys,

I will try to make this as short and sweet as possible... I have been collecting blu-rays/4K's since they came out and now it is time to "go digital" with them. I considered doing the VUDU thing, but I value quality uncompressed when watching in my theater. So my wife and I chose both physical and digital in the form of backups so we can watch without having to find the disc each time.

For my REMUXES in the past I have used MakeMKV but I definitely get frustrated with some of the discs that have a million different of the same tracks to choose from (obfuscation). Implementing JAVA into MakeMKV has help sniff out the main feature title, but there are still a lot of movies that have this issue, even with JAVA.

So ... get to the question right? I have a HUGE collection I need to digitally backup so would something like AnyDVD + MKVtoolnix be a better solution than just MakeMKV, given how many discs I have? I want an uncompressed .MKV file with the main movie only (sometimes I will also get the extended scenes, but I don't do a lot of extras).

Also, I have read about MKVtoolnix having issues with compressing subtitles. I am only concerned with movies like Avatar/30 Days of Night, etc that have FORCED subs. I typically will check the movie with MediaInfo and see if I need to force subs on the file after I rip it.

Please let me know what the best way to do a REMUX (uncompressed audio/video to an MKV) would be for me. I greatly appreciate it! Thanks and stay safe out there!

I look forward to hearing everyone's thoughts on what you guys do for uncompressed REMUXes.
    Quote Quote  
  2. I'm a Super Moderator johns0's Avatar
    Search Comp PM
    With makemkv if you find too many titles just choose the largest one with the most chapters,works for me all the times with makemkv.
    I think,therefore i am a hamster.
    Quote Quote  
  3. Originally Posted by johns0 View Post
    With makemkv if you find too many titles just choose the largest one with the most chapters,works for me all the times with makemkv.
    So you are recommending to just use MakeMKV for my REMUXES? I'm pretty good at finding the right file, it just sometimes takes too much time so I figured maybe AnyDVD + MKVtoolnix might be better. What do you do for the movies like Avatar/30 Days of Night, etc where you need to do forced titles? Do you use MKVtoolnix to get them forced? That's what I typically do for the foreign segments of the movies. Thanks!
    Quote Quote  
  4. Member
    Search PM
    What is the difference force subtitle with no forced subtitles?
    It is mean default subtitle or it is something else?

And if subtitles it is at different code page than the official English what is happening then?

And i believe no one answer to the question made at 1st post that i believe is "Which is the best program to use"?
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    It should be a rule that doesn't allow posters to use the words "which is the best" Best is highly subjective and just about everyone will have one to nominate. I find MakeMKV to be the "best" for me. Never had any problems whatsoever and I have over a thousand DVD's, Blu ray and a few UHD.

Regarding forced and default - forced is generally when someone is speaking in a language other than the viewer or a bunch of "aliens" speaking. It really depends on your media player. As I have age related hearing loss I use the subtitle track that includes all spoken words (not instructions) and I make that track the default track. But then it's academic for me as I remove all tracks not relevant to me.
    SONY 75" Full array 200Hz LED TV, Yamaha A1070 amp, Zidoo UHD3000, BeyonWiz PVR V2 (Enigma2 clone), Chromecast, Windows 11 Professional, QNAP NAS TS851
    Quote Quote