VideoHelp Forum
+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 2
FirstFirst 1 2
Thread
  1. Originally Posted by clashradio View Post
    Is there ever a situation that calls for uncompressed capture?
    I would say no -- but I suppose there might be some application somewhere that only works with uncompressed video.
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    I've never come across uncompressed being required, neither hobby or pro settings.
    Uncompresses has too much resource overhead (I/O).

FFV1 is also not good for capture, lots of incompatibilities.
    Want my help? Ask here! (not via PM!)
    FAQs: Best Blank DiscsBest TBCsBest VCRs for captureRestore VHS
    Quote Quote  
  3. Member
    Search Comp PM
    I'm having decent luck using Huffyuv, but I can't view this lossless avi file in Vegas Pro. When I captured uncompressed I could drop that file in timeline. It's ok because I'm deinterlacing and upscaling with AVISynth and Vegas recognizes that new avi. One problem is I won't know if the audio and video are out of sync until I do the conversion.

I'm currently having loss signal issues (but no dropped frames) with my vhs captures. I'm looking for an external full-frame TBC. You have a great section on this over at Digital FAQ. Didn't realize these things were going for that much $. I do have a Toshiba dvd recorder I bought for it's 3d comb filter. Going to test that next. I also have an Analog Devices EVAL 7842 board that has TBC; just not sure yet if it's line-based or full frame.
    Quote Quote  
  4. You can check A/V sync in AviSynth before deinterlacing.
    Quote Quote  
  5. Member
    Search Comp PM
    To view the raw capture file I've been opening VirtualDub and dropping the file in. Is there a different way to view?

But with this method I can't tell if the video & audio are the same length. When I open files in Vegas I can see the length of each track (video & audio) and I was having sync issues where the audio was about 15 frames longer than video. I adjusted a few settings in VirtualDub after viewing Lordsmurf's suggestions at Digital FAQ and solved that issue..
    Quote Quote  
  6. Note that audio and video don't have to be the same length. Often one of the other starts and/or ends seconds before or after the other. You only care if they are synchronized. Just play the script in VirtualDub to see if the audio and video are in sync.
    Quote Quote