VideoHelp Forum
+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 2
FirstFirst 1 2
Thread
  1. I does seem that VDub disables the procamp settings when capture is initiated. I have no clue why it does this. In fact, during an active capture, the levels and capture pin menu items are grayed-out! I know that others have worked with VDub. How did you get around this? I have seen GraphStudio mentioned. How is this used, and integrated into the workflow?
    Quote Quote  
  2. Originally Posted by anachronon View Post
    I does seem that VDub disables the procamp settings when capture is initiated.
    It's not VirtualDub's fault. It's the driver.

Originally Posted by anachronon View Post
    In fact, during an active capture, the levels and capture pin menu items are grayed-out! I know that others have worked with VDub. How did you get around this? I have seen GraphStudio mentioned. How is this used, and integrated into the workflow?
    Use GraphStudio. Once open, add the capture or crossbar filter (whichever has the proc amp), right click on it and select Properties. You can adjust the proc amp while VirtualDub (or some other program) is capturing.
    Quote Quote  
  3. OK, I am trying to understand how to use GraphStudio. I am really just guessing here. I assume that I first select an input (in this case, the Hauppauge USB). I then select a filter (in this case, the procamp). I am guessing that then, I somehow pass the output from GS to Vdub, and use VDub's histogram to monitor my procamp adjustments. Or, am I totally off-base. I really need some step-by-step help with this one.
    Quote Quote  
  4. Proceed as follows:
    1) Plug in the Hauppauge USB to your PC
    2) Open GraphStudio
    3) Menu Graph -> Insert Filter: The 'Filters' Window will pop up, listing all the filters
    4) In this Filters Window scroll down to the 'Hauppauge Cx23100 Video Capture' (or whatever similar you have), double-click or press 'Insert': This will insert the Cx23100 box in the Graph editor
    5) Right click on that Cx23100 box and select 'Properties....': In the opening Hauppauge Window select the Tab 'Video-Proc-Amplifier'
    6) Open your capturing SW (Vdub, or whatever you are using)
    7) After starting the capturing, the proc amp setting may be reset, but now you can adjust these again in GraphStudio as you prefer.
    Quote Quote  
  5. Thanks. That works. Yes, the procamp settings do reset once capture start/stops. Any way to keep it from doing this? Or, should I just start capture and adjust the settings, before I start the tape? Any way to save my settings in GraphStudio?

Also, I noticed options for "Intelligent Connect", "Direct Connect", and "Media Type Connect". Do I need to select one of those? Or, do those only apply if I am using the node system?
    Quote Quote  
  6. Originally Posted by anachronon View Post
    Thanks. That works. Yes, the procamp settings do reset once capture start/stops. Any way to keep it from doing this?
    Not as I know. It's a driver issue.
    Or, should I just start capture and adjust the settings, before I start the tape?
    Yes, or start the tape and make the adjustments anytime on the fly during capturing. Just keep GraphStudio running.
    Any way to save my settings in GraphStudio?
    You can save but you will probably have to click on the proc-amp sliders again after every capture stop/restart.
    Quote Quote  
    Search PM
    ^ I agree 100% with all of Sharc's points in post #36, based on my own experience doing this since 2013 with multiple capture cards.

https://forum.videohelp.com/threads/360129-How-to-use-Avisynth-videoscopes-with-realti...Dub-ffdshow%29
    My YouTube channel with little clips: vhs-decode, comparing TBC, etc.
    Quote Quote  
  8. It might be possible to set the driver defaults in the Registry. If it saves them there and you can find where. An even more unlikely possibility is to edit the driver with a hex editor and change the values stored there.
    Quote Quote  
  9. I have heard about default values being set in the registry. Has anyone ever done this? I suspect that such numbers would be arcane signal-level values, used as reference by the A/D converter. But, that is just a guess. Some graphics-card drivers (like nVidia) have their own built-in software, to change default values. I'm surprised that a reputable company like Hauppauge would not have a similar feature in its drivers---especially since the default contrast is set so high. I don't suppose that such drivers could be calibrated with an ICC profile, like a monitor or printer?
    Quote Quote  
  10. Like all the other consumer video companies, there's nobody left a Hauppauge that knows anything about video. They buy reference hardware and software, and put their name on it.

You're right, the values stored in the Registry may not be the same as the values you see in the driver's proc amp. You just have to experiment to see what the values give you.
    Quote Quote