VideoHelp Forum


Try NordVPN to access Netflix or other streaming services from any country and also surf safely!
+ Reply to Thread
Results 1 to 23 of 23
Thread
  1. Hi, I'm new here. I'm looking for software for editing video game footage that's best for making a lot of cuts/edits, usually around a 100 or so, quickly. I currently use Windows Movie Maker, which I really like but I get so many errors and it messes up a lot. I've tried Sony Vegas and others very similar to that but it takes so long to edit that it's not even worth it. Please let me know any other details you need.

    PC Specs:
    Windows 10, Intel Core i5, 16gb RAM, 64-bit, 250gb HDD
    Last edited by ArcotRamathorn; 27th Mar 2021 at 16:31.
    Quote Quote  
  2. Member Cornucopia's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2001
    Location
    Deep in the Heart of Texas
    Search PM
    The fastest ones are the pro ones, including Vegas, Premiere, MediaComposer, Resolve, Lightworks, etc.
    Why? Because they utilize keyboard & mouse shortcuts (often customizable), and multiple modes of editing and previewing/reviewing. They continue to be popular with the pros because they accommodate the pros' needs, one of which is efficient edit workflow, another is ability to handle massive assets and changes.

    If you are having slowness with editing in Vegas, re-read the manual and view some YT tips. It can do the job.


    Scott
    Quote Quote  
  3. Thank you so much, I'll give em a try.
    Quote Quote  
  4. Taking long to make edits, or taking long to render?
    The later is largely dependent on hardware.
    Quote Quote  
  5. Originally Posted by Clockwork View Post
    Taking long to make edits, or taking long to render?
    The later is largely dependent on hardware.
    To edit. For instance with movie maker all I have to do is use the M key to make a cut then right click on what I want to get rid of and it's very fast. That process takes too long with all the other programs I've tried.
    Quote Quote  
  6. In Vegas its key "S" as from "split". Then select event and key "Delete" would delete it. As logic would dictate, it should be key "C", but that was reserved as default for "Command Properties" (weird preference, but again not worse that World Champions in "confusing someone" - Microsoft).

    While selecting event you'd use key "U" (ungroup) to separate video from audio, or again "G" (group) to join events into one (selecting events while holding SHIFT key, then "G"). Those shortcuts are also used pretty often.

    Use "Customize Keyboard" in Options to change it if you want.

    In Vegas I have also instructions under "Help" and then "Keyboard Shortcuts". But that might be changed by Magix, because lately they just move things around as it appears.
    Last edited by _Al_; 27th Mar 2021 at 19:36.
    Quote Quote  
  7. Originally Posted by ArcotRamathorn View Post
    To edit. For instance with movie maker all I have to do is use the M key to make a cut then right click on what I want to get rid of and it's very fast. That process takes too long with all the other programs I've tried.

    If you're doing delete ripple edits, in Premiere, use the Q and W keys ; Q ripple deletes from playhead to last edit, and W ripples deletes from playhead to next edit. It's faster than Movie Maker having to push M to mark in , M to mark out, selecting and right click delete - because it eliminates half the steps . (The default "split" or "add edit" is ctrl+k , you might want to remap that key to something like "S" or close to Q and W. Or you can remap Q and W to something else, etc...)
    Quote Quote  
  8. Thanks guys for all the help. I'll try some of these and see how it goes.
    Quote Quote  
  9. In Davinci Resolve the cut page is very fast to top and tail clips.
    The cut tab was added for the very reason you mention. speed.
    Import on the media tab
    On the cut tab, simple use I and O to mark in and out on each clip
    Use the 'add to timeline' icon


    Export on the deliver tab.

    You might struggle on an i5 however.
    Quote Quote  
  10. https://www.videohelp.com/software/TMPGEnc-Video-Mastering-Works
    i use this for editing,can cut on an individual frame
    if you have a nvidia gpu,you have access to NVEnc,hardware based encoding which is way faster than any software encoder
    Quote Quote  
  11. Originally Posted by super8rescue View Post
    In Davinci Resolve the cut page is very fast to top and tail clips.
    The cut tab was added for the very reason you mention. speed.
    Import on the media tab
    On the cut tab, simple use I and O to mark in and out on each clip
    Use the 'add to timeline' icon


    Export on the deliver tab.

    You might struggle on an i5 however.
    Yeah this is the one I'm trying out now. Haven't edited a full video with it yet but I've tested it with a short one and so far so good. Thanks!
    Quote Quote  
  12. Member
    Join Date
    Aug 2020
    Location
    Italy
    Search Comp PM
    Shotcut with CUDA support .... a Nvidia card ... I use it for ever and I proces in minutes instead hours! I have two Nvidia cards. One of them is entirely dedicated to the video processes. ffmpeg expecially uses CUDA cores to do encode and decode. I write command and I solve problems in minutes!! This is my suggestion ....... The second suggestion is: Linux.
    Quote Quote  
  13. Originally Posted by ArcotRamathorn View Post
    To edit. For instance with movie maker all I have to do is use the M key to make a cut then right click on what I want to get rid of and it's very fast. That process takes too long with all the other programs I've tried.
    That could also just be an issue of the filetype and container you are using. In professional environments we typically normalize the input to one standardized format e.g. MXF XDCAMHD before the edits get in touch with the material. This is last but not least to guarantee smooth operation and no surprises on export time/quality.
    For the original Microsoft Windows movie maker i am pretty sure it is only really good when using wmv container and VC-1 or wmv9 codec.

    Also, typically we edit on high bitrate formats, preferrable I-frame.
    Quote Quote  
  14. Let me shamelessly point you to Cinematic Studio.
    I've actually built it for speed from the get go.
    Having said that, the app will need to optimize the video when you import it, to create a PRORES-like file, so you can then jump anywhere instantly. If you have many files, that may take a while at start, but once that is complete, you'll be able to do everything insanely fast.

    Your HDD is pretty small I have to admit - assuming it is an SSD and when you edit have about 30GB free, you should be fine.

    Best,
    John @ Cinematic Studio
    Quote Quote  
  15. Originally Posted by cinematicstudio View Post
    Let me shamelessly point you to Cinematic Studio.
    And let me shamelessy point out you forgot to mention it will become subscription based once out of beta.

    An unpopular option for many people. Either free or pay to own is much more widely appreciated imo.

    DaVinci Resolve is free, and as yet, I have never had to optimise anything for my 1080p work on an i7 laptop, so that is even quicker from the get go.
    Quote Quote  
  16. > And let me shamelessy point out you forgot to mention it will become subscription based once out of beta.

    Sorry, didn't know I should have included that. Having said that, I did (before answering here) add it to the Software directory here -- and I mention it there. As I was told, it will take a few days until it will show up there.

    > An unpopular option for many people. Either free or pay to own is much more widely appreciated imo.

    While I certainly understand what you mean, this is not viable for me in the long run. People will need support, new features, bug fixing, tweaking, and so on. You already know a few big names that are subscription based, and even Apple is thinking about it (https://appleinsider.com/articles/21/02/24/final-cut-pro-trademark-hints-at-possible-s...ption-offering)

    > DaVinci Resolve is free, and as yet, I have never had to optimise anything for my 1080p work on an i7 laptop, so that is even quicker from the get go.

    I certainly know what you mean. This has to do with some limitations coming from Microsoft. Before I go on to explain the "how", let me explain the "why": I do offer instant preview everywhere, all the time. Like in Final Cut -- wherever the mouse is, you instantly see a preview of that. So I chose to sacrifice some time ahead, to offer you instant preview all the time -- which will save you a lot of time, in the long run.

    As to the "how":
    Long story short, I chose not to use ffmpeg for video processing, due to the fact that x264/x265 patents are owned by MPEG LA, and wasn't sure exactly how much I would need to pay them. A lot of information on the internet is contradictory, and I did quite a bit of digging to understand which is what.

    In the end, I chose to start as is, without using ffmpeg. However, I am now aware of x264 licensing, and I have already talked to them and the offered me a very decent deal -- if I am to use ffmpeg. My plan, in the medium term (3-6 months) is to fully integrate ffmpeg and, while I will still optimize in the background, use that as backup. Integrating ffmpeg will be no easy task, so I expect probably about 1 month of work. I chose to postpone it, since I have a lot of features to finish
    Quote Quote  
  17. Originally Posted by cinematicstudio View Post
    the fact that x264/x265 patents are owned by MPEG LA
    Same as with any other AVC codec, MPEGLA collects and distributes the fees to the patent holders.
    But i always was under the impression that you only start paying codec distribution licenses when you delivered more than 100k copies of your stuff per year, did you let them trick you here?
    Quote Quote  
  18. Originally Posted by emcodem View Post
    Originally Posted by cinematicstudio View Post
    the fact that x264/x265 patents are owned by MPEG LA
    Same as with any other AVC codec, MPEGLA collects and distributes the fees to the patent holders.
    But i always was under the impression that you only start paying codec distribution licenses when you delivered more than 100k copies of your stuff per year, did you let them trick you here?
    Hehe It is as you say, but I really hate their license, since it can somehow be interpreted by the number of videos created. Anyway...

    I would also need licensing for the x264 codec in order to use it commercially with ffmpeg. And I talked to them a few weeks ago, and they gave me a decent deal. So yeah, now I can integrate it
    Quote Quote  
  19. Kawaiiii
    Join Date
    May 2021
    Location
    Italy
    Search Comp PM
    Originally Posted by ArcotRamathorn View Post
    Hi, I'm new here. I'm looking for software for editing video game footage that's best for making a lot of cuts/edits, usually around a 100 or so, quickly. I currently use Windows Movie Maker, which I really like but I get so many errors and it messes up a lot. I've tried Sony Vegas and others very similar to that but it takes so long to edit that it's not even worth it. Please let me know any other details you need.

    PC Specs:
    Windows 10, Intel Core i5, 16gb RAM, 64-bit, 250gb HDD
    KDenLive is getting better and better with every release.

    Cutting is easy like in any high end software: on the clip monitor set an in and out point, the send/drag the selected part of the clip to the timeline.

    (by the way: you can also do every kind of resize/cut directly in the timeline, it's very fast and easy too)
    Last edited by krykmoon; 5th May 2021 at 00:59.
    Quote Quote  
  20. Originally Posted by cinematicstudio View Post
    Let me shamelessly point you to Cinematic Studio.
    I've actually built it for speed from the get go.
    Having said that, the app will need to optimize the video when you import it, to create a PRORES-like file, so you can then jump anywhere instantly. If you have many files, that may take a while at start, but once that is complete, you'll be able to do everything insanely fast.

    Your HDD is pretty small I have to admit - assuming it is an SSD and when you edit have about 30GB free, you should be fine.

    Best,
    John @ Cinematic Studio
    And let me shamelessly point out that people should avoid your "software" like they avoid the plague, or any other communicable disease.

    This right here is one of the dumbest things related to software design that I have ever heard in my life:

    the app will need to optimize the video when you import it, to create a PRORES-like file, so you can then jump anywhere instantly.
    What does it mean to "create a PRORES-like file", it either is ProRes or it isn't, it's nonsensical to imply, as you seem to be doing, that it trancodes it to a file that "looks like ProRes"/ What does ProRes "look like" that is distinctive from other codecs?

    Furthermore, if it's "ProRes-like" why does your software transcode source files that are already ProRes into this "ProRes-like" format.

    Lastly, from what I have seen, this creation of "ProRes-like" files to use as proxies is extremely long, taking way longer than real time. That means if someone wanted to produce a 90 film and had 3 hours of footage, it's likely they would have to wait longer than 3 hours from the point they attempted to load their video files into your software before they can even begin working.

    I'm not even going to touch on the absurdity of using absolute values for the scaling of the GUI based on your use of a FullHD display instead of relative scaling that would allow the GUI to be displayed properly at all resolutions. Oops. I did talk about it.

    Seriously, fix your software before trying to sucker the people of this forum out of $600+ per year.
    Last edited by sophisticles; 5th May 2021 at 15:44.
    Quote Quote  
  21. Originally Posted by super8rescue View Post
    DaVinci Resolve is free, and as yet, I have never had to optimise anything for my 1080p work on an i7 laptop, so that is even quicker from the get go.
    Resolve is incredible, I can edit 12k BRAW on my i5 laptop with igpu, not that smoothly mind you, but it is possible.
    Quote Quote  
  22. Originally Posted by sophisticles View Post
    This right here is one of the dumbest things related to software design that I have ever heard in my life:
    Basically you are totally right here but didnt most professional editing software start in a way like that?
    But after all you are correct, time changed and these days video software is expected to work with existing indexes and codecs, or at least smartly create an index "on the fly" in case there is no useable index contained in the wrapper. And 600 per year... you can buy Premere for it, which does all that i just mentioned pretty well.
    Quote Quote  
  23. Originally Posted by emcodem View Post
    Originally Posted by sophisticles View Post
    This right here is one of the dumbest things related to software design that I have ever heard in my life:
    Basically you are totally right here but didn't most professional editing software start in a way like that?
    But after all you are correct, time changed and these days video software is expected to work with existing indexes and codecs, or at least smartly create an index "on the fly" in case there is no useable index contained in the wrapper. And 600 per year... you can buy Premere for it, which does all that i just mentioned pretty well.
    My problem isn't so much with the creating proxies, Vegas has been doing it since the days when Sony owned it and for years creating a low res proxy to perform the edits on before swapping in the original files was considered a smart, cost effective way to speed up your workflow without needing to buy a high end system.

    My objection is that he claims to transcode to a "ProRes-Like" format without specifying what that format is, his software wants to do it even if the source files are already ProRes, it takes forever to transcode into this secret "ProRes-like" format of his and he has admitted that he coded the GUI for use with FULLHD, i.e. 1080p displays because "that's what he has", which means that his GUI does not scale properly on anything other than a 1080p display.

    I could understand if this was still in the alpha stage and he was giving it away for free, but this is a commercial product, that he wants to charge either $600 or $696, PER YEAR!, depending on what payment option you choose.

    And on top of that he has the gall to try and spam this forum to try and sell his slop with claims of it being "insanely fast".

    The only thing more insane than him is anyone that actually pays a dime for his sorry excuse for a video editor.

    But I do want to pay him a compliment, he does have a very nice looking website that in theory should be perfect for fleecing those that don't know any better.

    I'm not going to touch on all the formats his software doesn't support.
    Quote Quote  



Similar Threads