VideoHelp Forum
+ Reply to Thread
Thread
  1. I am looking for an alternative for LAV filters for HEVC decoding. I'm having trouble with 7K and 8K movies playing in slow motion or stuttering even with hardware acceleration turned on. They play fine in VLC but I need a directshow filter. Any suggestions?
    Quote Quote  
  2. The Microsoft Store sells thier HEVC codec (encode and decode) for Windows for 99 cents.
    Quote Quote  
  3. DECEASED
    Search Comp PM
    Originally Posted by kallek View Post
    I am looking for an alternative for LAV filters for HEVC decoding. I'm having trouble with 7K and 8K movies playing in slow motion or stuttering even with hardware acceleration turned on. They play fine in VLC but I need a directshow filter. Any suggestions?
    MAYBE the problem is in the LAV Splitter, not in the LAV video decoder
    Also, those files might be broken, I mean, muxed incorrectly...
    Keep in mind that VLC was designed to play "anything", i.e., even broken files.

Anyway: give a try to MPC-BE.
    "Programmers are human-shaped machines that transform alcohol into bugs."
    Quote Quote  
  4. Originally Posted by jagabo View Post
    The Microsoft Store sells thier HEVC codec (encode and decode) for Windows for 99 cents.
    I bought the Microsoft codec, but I am unable to use it. If I disable h.265 decoding in LAV filters I can't play any H.265 encoded clips in other players than Windows Media Player and it crashes when I play 7K or 8K clips. Is Microsoft's HEVC codec really a direct show filter?
    Quote Quote  
  5. DECEASED
    Search Comp PM
    Originally Posted by jagabo View Post
    The Microsoft Store sells thier HEVC codec (encode and decode) for Windows for 99 cents.
    I bought the Microsoft codec, but I am unable to use it. If I disable h.265 decoding in LAV filters I can't play any H.265 encoded clips in other players than Windows Media Player and it crashes when I play 7K or 8K clips. Is Microsoft's HEVC codec really a direct show filter?
    There exist standalone builds of the video decoders used by MPC-BE.

You could also give a try to the HEVC decoder filter from PowerDVD...

OR check whether your Windows 10 is borked or not.

OR check whether PEBKAC.
    "Programmers are human-shaped machines that transform alcohol into bugs."
    Quote Quote  
  6. Originally Posted by El Heggunte View Post
    Originally Posted by jagabo View Post
    There exist standalone builds of the video decoders used by MPC-BE.

You could also give a try to the HEVC decoder filter from PowerDVD...

OR check whether your Windows 10 is borked or not.

OR check whether PEBKAC.
    Where can I find the standalone filters used by MPC-BE? I didn't find them on the download page.

Edit. I think I found it. It was called MPCVideoRenderer
    Last edited by kallek; 27th Mar 2021 at 10:01.
    Quote Quote  
  7. Looks like it was only the renderer and not the decoding filters. Do you have a link to the standalone decoder?

The Microsoft Codec seems to be a Media Foundation filter and not a direct show filter so that is probably why it doesn't work.
    Last edited by kallek; 27th Mar 2021 at 10:23.
    Quote Quote  
  8. vlc includes libx265_plugin.dll. I don't know if it will work with other programs. There's also https://x265.com/how-to-play-hevc-on-your-pc/hevc-decoding/ .
    Quote Quote  
  9. Mpc-be uses internal filters not LAV by default (Configurable in Options > Internal Filters.)

MPC-BE 1.5.6.6000
    Filters currently loaded:
    - Default DirectSound Device
    - Enhanced Video Renderer (custom presenter)
    - Audio Switcher
    - MPC Video Decoder
    - MPC Audio Decoder
    - MPC MP4/MOV Source
    Quote Quote  
  10. Originally Posted by butterw View Post
    Mpc-be uses internal filters not LAV by default (Configurable in Options > Internal Filters.)

MPC-BE 1.5.6.6000
    Filters currently loaded:
    - Default DirectSound Device
    - Enhanced Video Renderer (custom presenter)
    - Audio Switcher
    - MPC Video Decoder
    - MPC Audio Decoder
    - MPC MP4/MOV Source
    According to El Heggunte there is a separate standalone directshow version of the Mpc-be video decoder but I can't find it. Do you know were I can download it?
    Quote Quote  
  11. standalone_filters-mpc-be.1.5.6.6000.x64.7z is on their website, if this is what you are looking for.
    Quote Quote  
  12. SOLVED- Thanks anyways!

Originally Posted by butterw View Post
    standalone_filters-mpc-be.1.5.6.6000.x64.7z is on their website, if this is what you are looking for.
    Hello my friend,

I want to register the MPCVideoDec.ax as a default directshow filter for using it in other players.

I pulled it from the standalone filters and sent it to system32, yet "regsvr32 MPCVideoDec.ax" returns with the error

***The module "MpcVideoDec.ax" was loaded but the call to DllRegisterServer failed with error code 0x80070005***

P.S. Potplayer can register this .ax as an external filter and i am able to use it flawlessly. But as I stated, I want to use it as a default directshow filter which other players can detect automatically. Can you help me out please?
    Last edited by burak; 8th Apr 2021 at 14:32.
    Quote Quote