VideoHelp Forum
+ Reply to Thread
Thread
  1. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Hi. I'm having some audio problems with some of my recorded vhs and they have a terrible buzzing noise during playback/capture (at only "Normal" mode. See video sample attached below).

Any way to improve this without destroying the integrity of the audio too much ? I would use the "noise reduction" filter normally (Adobe Audition), but the results were not good at all. Then again, I may be missing steps in order to achieve this (I'm no professionnal at this).

Can anyone please help me out ? That'll be greatly appreciated.

Thanks to answer.
    Image Attached Files
    Quote Quote  
  2. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Are you talking about the buzzing that can be heard before the music starts (less than 1/3 of a second) ?

Typical noise reduction requires a bigger section like this, just the noise, to take a noise print from.

Have you tried Audacity? What version of Audition do you have ?
    Quote Quote  
  3. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Originally Posted by davexnet View Post
    Are you talking about the buzzing that can be heard before the music starts (less than 1/3 of a second) ?

Typical noise reduction requires a bigger section like this, just the noise, to take a noise print from.

Have you tried Audacity? What version of Audition do you have ?
    Before and during the whole thing. It's plaguing the whole audio.

I tried Audacity before, same result. For Audition, I updated to the last version yesterday, the recording is from this afternoon.
    Quote Quote  
  4. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Can you provide a section with speech and some quite parts.

DO you hear this sound when you playback the tape through the TV?
    Quote Quote  
  5. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Originally Posted by davexnet View Post
    Can you provide a section with speech and some quite parts.

DO you hear this sound when you playback the tape through the TV?
    Here.

Yes this sound is there even if I playback through TV.
    Image Attached Files
    Quote Quote  
  6. How does this sound? It's a little duller but a little eq to bring up the high end will help.
    Image Attached Files
    Quote Quote  
  7. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Originally Posted by jagabo View Post
    How does this sound? It's a little duller but a little eq to bring up the high end will help.
    Sound much better. What did you do exactly ? Can you explain the process, please ?

Thanks
    Quote Quote  
  8. I didn't explain earlier because it took several steps and I didn't want to spend time writing it up if you didn't like it. I opened you audio in Audacity and...

1) I found a silent (other than the whine) section at 23.2 to 23.8 seconds and highlighted it:

[Attachment 58030 - Click to enlarge]

I then selected Analyze -> Plot Spectrum:

[Attachment 58031 - Click to enlarge]

You can see there are many big, evenly spaced, frequency peaks from about 4000 to 13000 Hz., and another one at 15750 (and many smaller ones which I ignored). When you move the mouse cursor over the plot the program shows you the frequency of the nearest peak. In the image you can see that the frequency of the biggest peak in the middle is 8628 Hz. I used that feature to generate a list of those peak frequencies.

2) I selected the entire audio and applied the Notch filter at 15750 Hz with q=30. That eliminated the big peak at 15750.

3) I applied the Notch filter with q=40 to the other peaks at (Hz):

4) Finally I applied the Low Pass filter at 15500 Hz with a rolloff of 48 dB (just noise above that).

There's still a little buzz left. You might be able to eliminate it by removing some of the other peaks in the spectrum plot.
    Quote Quote  
  9. Member
    Search Comp PM
    That's great work jagabo - I wonder if any of the "automatic" solutions where you create a noise print could do as well.
    I'll give it a go myself might be interesting to see. But learning how to do it manually in Audacity is more important

That's the value of supplying a sample that has this quiet moment, as I mentioned previously

I tried Audacity's own click removal and the noise reduction using that small section for a noise print.
    I couldn't get a good result with the click removal , gave up on that. So this result, the NR only
    Be your own judge on its merits - It did reduce the background whine
    Image Attached Files
    Last edited by davexnet; 26th Mar 2021 at 15:20.
    Quote Quote