Hello, I recently got a copy of the R2 version of Monster (2004) anime series DVDs. The quality is a lot better that anything that is out there, but could be better. They forced 4 chapters per DVD, and it shows. I have different issues with this project:
Interlacing: I used QTGMC Interlaced (Slower). Speed is not a concern, but suggestions about anything more efficient, or that could result in better quality are welcome.
Compression artifacts: I think these are typical mpeg2 artifacts, but I will provide samples for the experts to evaluate. Until now I tried these denoisers, with terrible results:
- NLMeans (various setting, pretty bad)
- TNLMeans (similar result to NLMeans)
- TemporalDegrain2 (Maybe a tiny bit better than NLMeans)
- MiniDeen (terrible, very smooth)
Those are what I usually found recommended here for anime. So, I'm using StaxRip as gui, and this are my current filters:
- QTGMC Interlaced (Slower)
- Select Odd
And the encoder setting, x264, rf10, very slow. I'm going for quality here, size and encoding time are secondary concerns.
- Source Clip m2v: https://drive.google.com/file/d/1F0jqwD6VklFKX6-sx8y5EUD12MeF7rpQ/view?usp=sharing
- Source clip: https://drive.google.com/file/d/1sLLeBSWLq_BUlVVv8m4FdCUvQRX8Xnd5/view?usp=sharing
- Filtered clip: https://drive.google.com/file/d/1RW9Xq6lBUqQ0Z9aCnmgJbZ5qci0wk_fb/view?usp=sharing
- Here, towards the bottom of the picture, you can see the lines on the floor disappear, and I'm getting new artifacts, that are specially noticeable on the women's sweater.
- Source: https://drive.google.com/file/d/1gHOzEdfi2sCGpdRh39Q9P17r81RHOeq-/view?usp=sharing
- Filtered: https://drive.google.com/file/d/1SvkNVrkyeM4mQJezOoWYFJvLYhNlLjtH/view?usp=sharing
- In this one I'm also getting new artifacts, and the detail on the floor it's gone.
- Source: https://drive.google.com/file/d/1hxw1LgK7wKzYKFwvzs-rXCicu40vxZnC/view?usp=sharing
- Filtered: https://drive.google.com/file/d/1GhR271_fXT4anaaBQVAJdR_kbXpC8Pd6/view?usp=sharing
As you can see, the offending parts, are also the ones that get the worst result. Suggestions are welcome, worst case scenario I'm gonna rip the chapters "uncompressed", but I hope someone can help me.
+ Reply to Thread
Results 1 to 8 of 8
Last edited by shark_bloody; 20th Mar 2021 at 21:49.
Don't use QTGMC on it. Before doing anything else you should IVTC it.
And please provide an M2V cut from a VOB using DGIndex next time.
For the loss of detail in the flat parts look at aq-mode and aq-strength
Here's a test I did with aq-mode=2, aq-strength=0.8
This clip is reduced to 23.976 fps using IVTC, also a small amount of NR and some fine sharpening
I did this:
Mpeg2Source("Sample1.demuxed.d2v", CPU2="ooooxx", Info=3) TFM(d2v="Sample1.demuxed.d2v") TDecimate() Trim(3582, 4373) TTempSmooth(maxr=1, strength=2, lthresh=2, cthresh=3) gradfun3()
Depending on the desired look, Anime4k might be interesting (no clue if it can be used in StaxRip).
Attached a sample using VIVTV, Crop, Anime4k (resizing to 1024x770) at default settings just to give an impression of it's working.
Ps.: I like the look of MiniDeen + CAS.
Last edited by Selur; 21st Mar 2021 at 05:26.users currently on my ignore list: deadrats, Stears555
You could try an open source upscaler like anime4k/waifu2x (or one of the forks), or commercial software like Topaz Video Enhance (I had very good results with it, especially with animated content) - the latter is rather expensive, but you can download... a trial version. It does wonders for compression artifacts.
I processed 30s of your original sample file with Topaz's deinterlacing and upscaling model. It does a slightly worse job than the non-deinterlacing models, which are older and I suppose trained with with more data. In any case, here is the result encoded in rf 10 h264. On the left is your original footage upscaled by ffmpeg to 1280x960, and on the right the result of Topaz processing.
You can download it here.
Last edited by starry_air; 22nd Mar 2021 at 10:27.