VideoHelp Forum
+ Reply to Thread
Thread
  1. Member
    Search PM
    Hi
    I have VirtualDub2 build 44282 64 bit, and I'm running it on Windows 7.
    There are normally only 3 things I do with my videos:
    1. cut some off the beginning +/or end.
    2. fade in at the begging and out at the end.
    3. Invert the colours
    I'm pretty sure I can do 3. with the current build, and probably 1. (although I've never tried it); but I'm not sure about 2.
    The other thing is that my videos are usually .mp4s or .movs, and I'm not sure if I can open, or save, these with the version I have.
    Any help is appreciated.
    Thanks,
    ..... john
    Last edited by Shinnen; 20th Mar 2021 at 16:51. Reason: correct build number/correct diction
    Quote Quote  
  2. You can use the Levels or Brightness/Contrast filter to make the video black, then use the Blending option with the Curve Editor to apply it only to the start and end of the video. Apply the fade in/out before trimming.
    Quote Quote  
  3. Member
    Search PM
    Hi Jagabo,
    I'm having trouble figuring out how to do the fade. Can you give me an idea of what sort of values I might use?
    Thanks,
    ...... john
    Quote Quote  
  4. To create a black video add the Brightness/Contrast filter and set both sliders all the way to the left.

[Attachment 57961 - Click to enlarge]

Enable blending on the Brightness/Contrast filter on the main video -> Filters... dialog. Set the mode to Apply Opacity Curve. Back at the main VirtualDub interface select View ->Curve Editor. Make a curve (follow the on-screen hints) that starts at 100 percent and ends at 0 percent over the numbe of frames you want to fade in. Here's a portion of a curve that goes from 100 percent a frame 0 to 0 percent at frame 30:

[Attachment 57962 - Click to enlarge]

You can see that at frame 15 the Brightness/Contrast filter is only applied 50 percent.
    Quote Quote