VideoHelp Forum
+ Reply to Thread
Thread
  1. I'm looking to buy a(nother?) region free DVD player. The one I have is a Magnavox combo ZV427MG9 which, when we bought it a number of years ago, I had NO knowledge or understanding of region code stuff. I bought a Muppet Family Christmas disk from E-bay not knowing it was from another region. However, it seemed to play in the machine mentioned above somehow. I'm not sure why that machine plays that disk (as I understand, if sold in the U.S. it shouldn't right out of the box, but always did!)
    I'm worried about the age of that machine and how much longer it'll last. Does anyone have any suggestions as to what brand or model of player to buy that either works like this one out of the box, or one that has a code to change the region? I've looked at a handful on Walmart's page but when I put the number in (if I'm doing it right) it always says "no available hack" (or words to that effect). I'm not into internet use or picture sharing, or the dozen other things that I understand can be done with disk players today.....just watching movies & shows...and MAYBE recording -if I can figure that out!
    Quote Quote  
  2. There aren't many 'new-in-stores" models at budget prices that can be region hacked. Demand for DVD players has dropped off the face of the earth, now that everybody seems to stream absolutely everything. Your best bet is to purchase a "pre-hacked" player from region-free specialty web dealers like 220v Electronics: these are not cheap (cost as much or more than a budget BluRay player). BTW, bluray players are much less likely to be hackable.

OTOH, you may not need a region-free player. You said your current player is a Magnavox and you've been checking WalMart, which suggests you're located in USA. If you purchased that Magnavox at WalMart a few years ago, it is absolutely not hacked for region-free (as WalMart does not sell such players). The more likely scenario is your Muppets dvd is European PAL video format with a box marked Region 2, but the disc itself actually has no particular embedded region code (its Region-0 or "all region"). This is more common than you'd expect: I've picked up quite a few British dvds that claim to be Region 2 on the label but don't actually have any restrictions: these play fine in any ordinary dvd player.

If you have your Magnavox connected to a flat screen HDTV via HDMI cord, the Magnavox and your TV will play a "Region-0" (unrestricted) European PAL format dvd normally (just as if it was US/Canada NTSC dvd). The Magnavox (or any other standard US/Canada player) would only refuse to play a European dvd if the disc is definitely hard-coded with Region 2. If you don't plan on deliberately buying a large number of Region 2 discs in future, you don't need to worry about getting a region-free player (or hacking). Any disc you have now that plays OK on your current Magnavox will also play on any new standard Region 1 model you buy.

Note the dvd drive in most computers can be freely switched from Region1 to Region2: if you have an old laptop sitting around, you could switch its drive to R2, connect its HDMI to your TV, and use it as a dedicated player for European R2 discs that won't play on a regular player. The only catch there is most computer dvd drives limit such region switching to five attempts: you can't switch back and forth from R1 to R2 indefinitely, so don't switch your PC drive to Region2 unless you expect to only use it for R2 dvds.
    Last edited by orsetto; 20th Mar 2021 at 14:28.
    Quote Quote  
  3. I got rather lost on the technical parts. (I should mention.....I'm the kind that's lucky they don't blow anything electronic up turning it on!)
    The Magnavox I mentioned I'm guessing, to be more precise, is at least 8 or 10 years old. I just haven't used it in several years because I've been watching that video on youtube each Christmas. But yes, the disk works in that machine, but not in my parents' (cheaper) machine. I'm not sure why that disk works in my player but not others.
    Maybe I'm not understanding what I've read over the years on sites. Everyone makes it sound so easy: that all you have to do is basically punch in a few "secret" numbers on the remote of DVD players with the door of the machine open, and it'll play anything. (To sum it up in a sentence.) But then I've read some machines have those certain codes and some don't. I've even read that the entire law covering this is extremely gray....which is why some people say it's required for manufacturers to put codes in machines, but also to allow buyers to undo them. I've also read so many reviews on-line saying that "the machine worked for a short time, then quit and now the door won't even open", and other such complaints. Are those cases of "let the buyer beware", or are there, the way it sounds, "self destruct" commands somehow built into players where they break down if the region codes are disabled? That's why I was wondering about what brands or models may be better than others.
    I guess I'm in need of "DVD player 101". Any further help for someone like me?
    Quote Quote