VideoHelp Forum
+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 2
FirstFirst 1 2
Thread
  1. Originally Posted by johns0 View Post
    Never noticed any delays when i did that.
    I meant if your source already has an a/v delay (say: 120ms) this should be taken into account.
    Also encoding to aac might change the delay slightly, so if exact a/v sync is required there might be some need to look into it.

Cu Selur
    users currently on my ignore list: deadrats, Stears555
    Quote Quote  
  2. The best audio quality are uncompressed linear PCM or Wav files. PCM is supported by DVD and Blu Ray.
    The worst in terms of audio quality but born for home theater effects are Dolby Digital or AC3 and DTS.
    Quote Quote  
  3. Originally Posted by dellsam34 View Post
    Get an AVR and a powered subwoofer and enjoy a quality show, stop wasting your time on unnecessary and time consuming software conversions.
    Not all devices support AC3, and it's even worse for DTS. My Samsung TV's media player will decode it, but apparently they've dropped DTS support completely now. I don't want audio/video files that can't be played without an AVR.

Originally Posted by dellsam34 View Post
    Most people spend 3 times the content duration fiddling with it than just enjoy watching it the way it is.
    I think that's what's referred to as a hobby. We all have to find something to pass the time until we die.
    Now you've mentioned it though... most of my encodes end up on the hard drive attached to the TV in the living room, but mine's attached to my PC, so while I'm experimenting with video filters and surfing the net, I've usually got something running on the TV.. Now and then a movie /TV show will be interesting enough to attract my full attention, but I'd probably watch far less if I couldn't multi-task.
    Quote Quote  
  4. Capturing Memories dellsam34's Avatar
    Search PM
    Originally Posted by hello_hello View Post
    Not all devices support AC3, and it's even worse for DTS. My Samsung TV's media player will decode it, but apparently they've dropped DTS support completely now. I don't want audio/video files that can't be played without an AVR.
    That's why I said get an AVR in the very first sentence because there are media that cannot be played back with just a media player or a TV, duh!

I think that's what's referred to as a hobby. We all have to find something to pass the time until we die.
    Now you've mentioned it though... most of my encodes end up on the hard drive attached to the TV in the living room, but mine's attached to my PC, so while I'm experimenting with video filters and surfing the net, I've usually got something running on the TV.. Now and then a movie /TV show will be interesting enough to attract my full attention, but I'd probably watch far less if I couldn't multi-task.
    There is also a hobby called enjoying high quality files with a proper Hi-Fi system.
    Quote Quote  
  5. I'm a Super Moderator johns0's Avatar
    Search Comp PM
    Originally Posted by hello_hello View Post
    That's why I said get an AVR in the very first sentence because there are media that cannot be played back with just a media player or a TV, duh!

There is also a hobby called enjoying high quality files with a proper Hi-Fi system.
    That's why i bought an avr plus in the middle of upgrading it for 4k pass through and having it decode any sound without needing to fiddle with it.
    I think,therefore i am a hamster.
    Quote Quote  
  6. Capturing Memories dellsam34's Avatar
    Search PM
    Indeed John, Even just listening to music albums, It's a joy to have a clean highs and a tight punchy bass.
    Quote Quote  
  7. Originally Posted by dellsam34 View Post
    [That's why I said get an AVR in the very first sentence because there are media that cannot be played back with just a media player or a TV, duh!
    So just to be clear... you're saying it's better not to convert and only play your media files on a system with an AVR, than it is to convert and be able to play them on anything?
    Not so long ago, my sister and her kids lived in this house. Back then, there were five TVs of various shaped and sizes here connected to various devices capable of playing media, or capable of playing it themselves.

I enjoy watching high quality files, as most of the time, especially for older content, my re-encodes look better than the original, or at worse just as good (I dislike noise and film grain), and they take up far less hard drive space. Maybe that means I can enjoy my hobby, and still be better at your hobby at the same time.

I use my PC for playback, so I can connect it to any audio system, but because surround-sound is about as interesting as smell-o-vision, I downmix on playback and listen to it through stereo speakers. If I crank it enough though, the subwoofer can still rattle the stuff on the bookcase.
    Last edited by hello_hello; 12th Apr 2021 at 02:33.
    Quote Quote  
    Search PM
    It's rattling stuff, but not on the bookcase.

High Fidelity is more than just a movie & soundtrack.

Scott
    Quote Quote  
  9. Originally Posted by Cornucopia View Post
    It's rattling stuff, but not on the bookcase.
    I can't wait to discover how you know what my sub-woofer is rattling better than I do.

Maybe I'm guilty of understating it a little.
    In my sexy diagram below, the green square is the sub. The thick grey line is the shelf my TV sits on. It's deeper than a normal bookcase but it's not a TV cabinet either. I'll call it Mr Shelf. The light blue line is a window. The dark blue line is a proper bookcase. I'm certain of that because there's three or four books on it. Is the sub in the ideal position? I don't know. I put it there temporarily five years ago with the intention of experimenting one day. It does corner load very well though.

Mr Shelf has a fairly solid back. Something like 3/4 inch chipboard. The sub can vibrate it enough to move the shelves away from the back a little, which sounds wonderful when they're not pushed firmly against it (they're not fixed in place). I think the bass reflex port is facing the wall with the window, as every so often the plaster vibrates where it meets the window and I have to give it a whack to settle it down again. I thought the speaker was dying the first time it happened because it sounds exactly like a speaker being over-driven to the point it's "farting".

And yes.... once or twice I've even had to move something on the "proper" bookcase because I can hear it rattling. Probably because it was touching the back of it, which is thin plywood.

Originally Posted by Cornucopia View Post
    High Fidelity is more than just a movie & soundtrack.
    Thanks for the tip.

[Attachment 58372 - Click to enlarge]
    Last edited by hello_hello; 12th Apr 2021 at 02:52.
    Quote Quote