Hi, It's my first time posting here because I couldn't find a solution to my problem.
A few months ago I brought my old VHS tapes to a "professional" video company here where I live, I thought they could do a better job than me digitalizing my tapes. When I received them I checked the video files and realized they had a lot of interlacing artifacts and combs, I searched on forums and found what de-interlacing could do.
The problem is that de-interlacing is for interlaced videos (like VHS) and what I received was:
Progressive video (I checked It with different programs and all of them classified the video files as progressive)
Video resolution: 1280x720 (720x576 VHS video and black bars all around)(We use PAL)
Even though It's progressive I tried to de-interlace with different programs but (I think) I got what you can expect of de-interlacing a progressive video.
Here is a capture from the original video:
[Attachment 57864 - Click to enlarge]
Here is a capture from the "de-interlaced" video:
[Attachment 57867 - Click to enlarge]
I got the same results on different programs using different methods (Yadif, Bob, etc)
I know there are programs that can apply a blur effect to the jagged lines but I still have to deal with the "ghosting" of the image and even if it can be removed I don't think is gonna look good enough. I don't find any better solution rather than buying a capture device and re-capture again by myself using interlaced format, what are your thoughts on this?
Is there any good way to fix it? If It's not what should I do to not make the same mistakes when re-capturing by myself?
PD: I've tried to see if the original tape had this problems and It doesn't, that means the problem is on the capturing process not on the tape.
+ Reply to Thread
Results 1 to 8 of 8
Last edited by Strift; 19th Mar 2021 at 08:19.
You can further blur the two fields together with a vertical blur followed by a vertical sharpen. Something like this in AviSynth:
Blur(0.0, 1.0) Sharpen(0.0, 0.7)
Here's something like that (downscaling instead of blurring) with some more cleanup:
LWLibavVideoSource("VHS-7.mkv", cache=false, prefer_hw=2) src = last Spline36Resize((width/12)*4, height/2) # A good denoise filter here would help aWarpSharp2(depth=5) Sharpen(0.5) nnedi3_rpow2(4, cshift="Spline36Resize", fwidth=src.width, fheight=src.height) aWarpSharp2(depth=5) Sharpen(0.5)
Oh, I just noticed the video was originally PAL. You want to remove the duplicate frames with TDecimate(Cycle=6, CycleR=1).
Used my clever FFmpeg-GUI.
First resized with crop detect:
[Attachment 57879 - Click to enlarge]
then set the encoder like this
[Attachment 57880 - Click to enlarge]
checked Avisynth, create script, edit script, added jagabos script (lightly modified for PAL SD setting)
[Attachment 57882 - Click to enlarge]
tested script with Test Script, clicked on convert, done (encoding).
Clicked on Multiplex, the encoded videostream was already loaded, clicked on Audiostream, selected your sample mkv, clicked on Target file, accepted the proposed filename, set DAR as 4:3, mkv as container, clicked on multiplex, ALL DONE.
Demand your money back plus some more for wasting your time and for them being incompetent fools. Then either take the tapes somewhere else or do it yourself.