VideoHelp Forum
+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 3
1 2 3 LastLast
Thread
  1. I believe Windows 10 update has caused HDR to read display wrong.
    1. sfc/scannow = no integrity violations
    2. will not do system restore in safe mode
    3. windows Hd color settings / Display capabilities
    Stream HDR video= No
    Use HDR=No
    USE WCG apps=No
    4. DELL Tech says video card is compatible with HDR

Any idea how to reset it back to =Yes? Dell will charge me for support but no charge if no fix. Is there a fix?
    Quote Quote  
  2. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Originally Posted by forsure View Post
    I believe Windows 10 update has caused HDR to read display wrong.
    1. sfc/scannow = no integrity violations
    2. will not do system restore in safe mode
    3. windows Hd color settings / Display capabilities
    Stream HDR video= No
    Use HDR=No
    USE WCG apps=No
    4. DELL Tech says video card is compatible with HDR

Any idea how to reset it back to =Yes? Dell will charge me for support but no charge if no fix. Is there a fix?
    try here - https://errortools.com/windows/restore-default-display-color-settings-in-windows-10/
    Quote Quote  
  3. I checked it says all in "default" position. I am not sure if this is a problem I need to fix or not. At first movies that were HDR were skipping or getting held up. They are working now. Maybe I had too much going on at once with my pc. That does not change the fact that HDR still = NO, where it should be =YES. I guess my question is if I am only using HDR through MPC-HC to a 4k tv via HDMI, do I need it to be YES, on my Windows? Maybe the sfc/scannow cleaned some errors, or disk cleanup. Whichever they seem to not be skipping as bad. Maybe = YES would make it run smoother?
    Last edited by forsure; 17th Mar 2021 at 14:54.
    Quote Quote  
  4. Also I cant find this registry key in my registry at all???

https://windowsreport.com/windows-10-hdr-disabled/
    Quote Quote  
  5. Member
    Search Comp PM
    If I recall correctly, when I set up HDR on my PC, I set "Use HDR" to "Yes".
    Ignore list: hello_hello, tried, TechLord, Snoopy329
    Quote Quote  
  6. Originally Posted by usually_quiet View Post
    If I recall correctly, when I set up HDR on my PC, I set "Use HDR" to "Yes".
    You may be thinking of a different place. It does not have the option to switch YES/NO. settings/display/windows hd color settings/ display capabilities.
    Last edited by forsure; 18th Mar 2021 at 08:13.
    Quote Quote  
  7. Member
    Search Comp PM
    To me it seems you display isn't capable of HDR.
    Have you used it before?
    Quote Quote  
  8. Originally Posted by Nilzzon View Post
    Have you used it before?
    I appreciate your help, as stated this was verified by the Dell Tech. My video cards are AMD Radeon R5 M335/INTEL HD GRAPHICS 520. If I had to bet I would say they said YES before Windows updates. I could not locate any web sites containing HDR info for the cards, other than that say it supports 4k. However, when searching I did locate a post regarding the whole "option" of Windows HD Color being omitted from the Display settings.after Windows Fall Update. So assuming that it is supported and the whole registry key (see above post) was deleted by Windows Update, how do I get it back?
    Quote Quote  
  9. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Originally Posted by Nilzzon View Post
    Have you used it before?
    I appreciate your help, as stated this was verified by the Dell Tech. My video cards are AMD Radeon R5 M335/INTEL HD GRAPHICS 520. If I had to bet I would say they said YES before Windows updates. I could not locate any web sites containing HDR info for the cards, other than that say it supports 4k. However, when searching I did locate a post regarding the whole "option" of Windows HD Color being omitted from the Display settings.after Windows Fall Update. So assuming that it is supported and the whole registry key (see above post) was deleted by Windows Update, how do I get it back?
    Your hardware needs to support it too, not just software.
    Both gpu and display/monitor/tv.
    Did it work before the upgrade?

https://www.windowscentral.com/how-fix-common-problems-hdr-displays-windows-10
    Quote Quote  
  10. GPU refers to video card. Monitor has 4k external (extended display) resolution display. TV is 4k. What do you mean by work lol? I use MPC-HC via HDMI to 4k. My HDR files were dragging a lot. Now they are working at least a lot better ( maybe a little drag). I assumed this to be because of settings. I think now it was because my pc needed to rest, and clean. However, still reads NO on settings. Do I need this setting? Or does MPC-HC/HDMI/4kTv do all that's necessary? I do not use my pc for HDR, so I don't really care about the pc display. I do care about the media being transferred to TV and wondering if I am getting best possible, or how to eliminate the little drag that still exists. The tracking seems to be ok.

BUT YES LAST TIME I REMEMBER THEY READ YES.
    Quote Quote  
  11. Every Windows update screws something up. I also use LG Oled 55" HDR 4k TV and now the HDR setting is off for internal (also hdr capable) Asus laptop with g1080 (hdr capable) and for the TV(hdr capable ).Registry Videos setting is empty only default no other setting in there. So I guess Op is experiencing the same it is definitely software problem not hardware
    Quote Quote  
  12. Originally Posted by mammo1789 View Post
    Every Windows update screws something up. I also use LG Oled 55" HDR 4k TV and now the HDR setting is off for internal (also hdr capable) Asus laptop with g1080 (hdr capable) and for the TV(hdr capable ).Registry Videos setting is empty only default no other setting in there. So I guess Op is experiencing the same it is definitely software problem not hardware
    Right. I returned my original Laptop because Windows 10 registry would go in an endless loop while searching for anything. It might have been fixed by now. Anyways, So Dell can they fix this? If my HDR files are playing but dragging a little, is the setting even the issue? Thanks
    Quote Quote  
  13. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Could there be some Dell software for the display itself that controls HDR? My desktop PC's monitor is a Dell 1080p 8-bit monitor but has an HDMI port that can be switched from HDMI 1.4 to HDMI 2.0b using settings in the monitor's own software. When the monitor is in one of the two 4K HDR modes supported by the software, the monitor can accept 2160p HDR10 input, downscale it to 1080p, and use its internal LUT to map colors correctly for HDR.

For non-HDR monitors, the software player (or MadVR?) has to apply a LUT to display colors correctly.
    Last edited by usually_quiet; 18th Mar 2021 at 10:26.
    Quote Quote  
  14. Originally Posted by usually_quiet View Post
    Could there be some Dell software for the display itself that controls HDR? My desktop PC's monitor is a Dell 1080p 8-bit monitor but has an HDMI port that can be switched from HDMI 1.4 to HDMI 2.0b using settings in the monitor's own software. When the monitor is in one of the two 4K HDR modes supported by the software, the monitor can accept 2160p HDR10 input, downscale it to 1080p, and use its internal LUT to map colors correctly for HDR.
    Does this setting affect transfer of video though, or only the pc's display itself? Dell will gladly take my $100 to find out. No charge if no fix, I just don't know if it's a/the problem?
    Quote Quote  
  15. Member
    Search Comp PM
    GPU refers to video card. Monitor has 4k external (extended display) resolution display. TV is 4k. What do you mean by work lol? I use MPC-HC via HDMI to 4k. My HDR files were dragging a lot. Now they are working at least a lot better ( maybe a little drag). I assumed this to be because of settings. I think now it was because my pc needed to rest, and clean. However, still reads NO on settings. Do I need this setting? Or does MPC-HC/HDMI/4kTv do all that's necessary? I do not use my pc for HDR, so I don't really care about the pc display. I do care about the media being transferred to TV and wondering if I am getting best possible, or how to eliminate the little drag that still exists. The tracking seems to be ok.

You could uninstall fall upgrade and see if that works.
    Uninstall video card drivers reboot reinstall.

You can uninstall and clean with this https://www.guru3d.com/files-details/display-driver-uninstaller-download.html
    Quote Quote  
  16. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Originally Posted by usually_quiet View Post
    Does this setting affect transfer of video though, or only the pc's display itself? Dell will gladly take my $100 to find out. No charge if no fix, I just don't know if it's a/the problem?
    I'm not sure how to answer your question. My display settings in Windows are limited to 1080p maximum unless I switch the monitor (a Dell S2718HN/NX) to 4K HDR mode. For 1080p non-HDR monitors, the software player (or maybe MadVR, which I don't use) has to downscale video and apply a LUT to display colors correctly.
    Quote Quote  
  17. Originally Posted by usually_quiet View Post
    I'm not sure how to answer your question. My display settings in Windows are limited to 1080p maximum unless I switch the monitor (a Dell S2718HN/NX) to 4K HDR mode. For 1080p non-HDR monitors, the software player (or maybe MadVR, which I don't use) has to downscale video and apply a LUT to display colors correctly.
    OK my display settings go to max 2160p, only for external TV or display 2. My internal pc is 1080p. So when it's on extended display, am I losing color if I open up MPC-HC on TV. I guess my main question is are these internal settings in Windows going to effect anything that software does to external resolution (which looks great) just didn't know if that YES setting was affecting the drag in the movies? I double checked to see if MY HDR settings were as well NO in External Display. The settings were the same even though I can tell that my tv is showing a 2160p resolution. If it's HDR I don't know. Isn't that a step up. The files play, so it must be supported somewhere.
    Last edited by forsure; 18th Mar 2021 at 11:16.
    Quote Quote  
  18. Originally Posted by Nilzzon View Post
    GPU refers to video card. Monitor has 4k external (extended display) resolution display. TV is 4k. What do you mean by work lol? I use MPC-HC via HDMI to 4k. My HDR files were dragging a lot. Now they are working at least a lot better ( maybe a little drag). I assumed this to be because of settings. I think now it was because my pc needed to rest, and clean. However, still reads NO on settings. Do I need this setting? Or does MPC-HC/HDMI/4kTv do all that's necessary? I do not use my pc for HDR, so I don't really care about the pc display. I do care about the media being transferred to TV and wondering if I am getting best possible, or how to eliminate the little drag that still exists. The tracking seems to be ok.

You can uninstall and clean with this https://www.guru3d.com/files-details/display-driver-uninstaller-download.html
    Other than through Control Panel I would not know how to Uninstall Fall Update. It does not allow for uninstalling past a certain time. It lists lots of updates, only some you can remove. I am pretty sure it is Windows related not Video Card.
    Quote Quote  
  19. Member
    Search Comp PM

Other than through Control Panel I would not know how to Uninstall Fall Update. It does not allow for uninstalling past a certain time. It lists lots of updates, only some you can remove. I am pretty sure it is Windows related not Video Card.
    this is what you should see when you enable the windows 10 HDR color settings - https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=X4E_dkQbilk

and there's plenty of youtube videos that show how to enable & disable the HDR color settings - https://www.youtube.com/results?search_query=Restore+HDR+Color+settings+in+Windows+10
    Last edited by october262; 18th Mar 2021 at 11:41.
    Quote Quote  
  20. Originally Posted by october262 View Post

this is what you should see when you enable the windows 10 HDR color settings - https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=X4E_dkQbilk

and there's plenty of youtube videos that show how to enable & disable the HDR color settings - https://www.youtube.com/results?search_query=Restore+HDR+Color+settings+in+Windows+10
    Are you serious?
    Quote Quote  
  21. Member
    Search Comp PM
    OK my display settings go to max 2160p, only for external TV or display 2. My internal pc is 1080p. So when it's on extended display, am I losing color if I open up MPC-HC on TV. I guess my main question is are these internal settings in Windows going to effect anything that software does to external resolution (which looks great) just didn't know if that YES setting was affecting the drag in the movies? I double checked to see if MY HDR settings were as well NO in External Display. The settings were the same even though I can tell that my tv is showing a 2160p resolution. If it's HDR I don't know. Isn't that a step up. The files play, so it must be supported somewhere.
    I have no experience with a similar display set-up but, yes, something must be handling the down-scaling from 2160p to 1080p for HD-only displays and I'm guessing Windows has to be involved somehow.

Others here who use MPC-HC have written that it doesn't support HDR by itself. It is necessary to use MadVR for rendering video with HDR. In MadVR's settings, you can activate tone-mapping (use a LUT to provide more accurate color on non-HDR displays) or HDR passthrough (for displays that support HDR). I don't know if it's possible to mix HDR pass-through for HDR-capable TVs and tone-mapping for displays that are not HDR-capable or if tone-mapping needs to be applied for video output to all the displays,
    Quote Quote  
  22. Originally Posted by usually_quiet View Post
    I have no experience with a similar display set-up but, yes, something must be handling the down-scaling from 2160p to 1080p for HD-only displays and I'm guessing Windows has to be involved somehow.

Others here who use MPC-HC have written that it doesn't support HDR by itself. It is necessary to use MadVR for rendering video with HDR. In MadVR's settings, you can activate tone-mapping (use a LUT to provide more accurate color on non-HDR displays) or HDR passthrough (for displays that support HDR). I don't know if it's possible to mix HDR pass-through for HDR-capable TVs and tone-mapping for displays that are not HDR-capable or if tone-mapping needs to be applied for video output to all the displays,
    So if the file itself is a verified HDR file; are you saying it is not displaying "correctly" even though MPC-HC is playing it? Where or what is MadVr? Is that another program or inside the MPC?

Why do you say downscaling, if anything my tv upscales anything to 4k.The resolution of the file and and Tv are both 4k? So where does the downscale come in? My main concern here is to replace what Windows deleted in the registry. Is that possible? Is it possible for Dell to be able to do it, on that note couldn't anyone?From that point I will see if I notice a difference. Like I said the color and a/r look great. I just don't know if it's the best it can be with the incorrect display on Windows setting.Thanks
    Quote Quote  
  23. I found the software MadVr. Any chance someone could show me how to install it to MPC-HC. Is this a recent renderer. As far I know Enhanced Video Renderer Custom Preset is the last renderer added according to MPC-HC developers. Does MadVR do it even better? I can not right click to run as admin on "install.bat" to install. It's listed in Miscellaneous settings. It might have come preinstalled with the latest MPC-HC,
    Last edited by forsure; 18th Mar 2021 at 14:39.
    Quote Quote  
  24. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Processing done to the video for display be responsible for "drag in the video".

Why do you say downscaling, if anything my tv upscales anything to 4k.The resolution of the file and and Tv are both 4k? So where does the downscale come in?
    If the 2160p video is only being displayed at full-screen resolution on a UHD TV then the video doesn't need to be downscaled. However, displaying a 2160p video file on a 1080p internal display requires downscaling the video to fit the 1080p screen.

My main concern here is to replace what Windows deleted in the registry. Is that possible? Is it possible for Dell to be able to do it, on that note couldn't anyone?From that point I will see if I notice a difference.
    I'm not entirely sure that anything is wrong with the registry.

Like I said the color and a/r look great. I just don't know if it's the best it can be with the incorrect display on Windows setting.Thanks
    If the color in an HDR video looks faded then HDR is not being sent over HDMI applied by the TV or being simulated via one-mapping in the player software. If the UHD video doesn't use HDR (not all UHD video is also HDR) then both HDR-capable and non-HDR displays will display it properly.

My bad. I overlooked your graphics information. Intel HD Graphics 520 (Broadwell processors) doesn't support HDR. Intel UHD Graphics 620 and 630 (Kaby Lake, Coffee Lake. and Comet Lake) plus graphics in many newer Intel mobile processors do support HDR. I don't know if AMD Radeon R5 M335 supports HDR.
    Quote Quote  
  25. Originally Posted by usually_quiet View Post
    Processing done to the video for display be responsible for "drag in the video".

Why do you say downscaling, if anything my tv upscales anything to 4k.The resolution of the file and and Tv are both 4k? So where does the downscale come in?
    If the 2160p video is only being displayed at full-screen resolution on a UHD TV then the video doesn't need to be downscaled. However, displaying a 2160p video file on a 1080p internal display requires downscaling the video to fit the 1080p screen.

My main concern here is to replace what Windows deleted in the registry. Is that possible? Is it possible for Dell to be able to do it, on that note couldn't anyone?From that point I will see if I notice a difference.
    I'm not entirely sure that anything is wrong with the registry.

Like I said the color and a/r look great. I just don't know if it's the best it can be with the incorrect display on Windows setting.Thanks
    If the color in an HDR video looks faded then HDR is not being sent over HDMI applied by the TV or being simulated via one-mapping in the player software. If the UHD video doesn't use HDR (not all UHD video is also HDR) then both HDR-capable and non-HDR displays will display it properly.

My bad. I overlooked your graphics information. Intel HD Graphics 520 (Broadwell processors) doesn't support HDR. Intel UHD Graphics 620 and 630 (Kaby Lake, Coffee Lake. and Comet Lake) plus graphics in many newer Intel mobile processors do support HDR. I don't know if AMD Radeon R5 M335 supports HDR.
    Well I appreciate all your input. My Radeon does support it as far as I know or was told by Dell rep. HDR video does not look faded. It looks great. There was no drag today after disk defrag. You might be right about the registry. However, as stated by another poster on this thread he had the same problem that Windows caused. I am just not sure that I even have a problem, other than it not saying YES. FYI as a avid user of MPC-HC just use settings as they are released by github. No need to add Madvr. The best renderer is Enhanced Video Render Custom Preset which the latest install comes set to. It worked perfect after a new install.
    Quote Quote  
  26. I also might add, that after watching 4k from the cable box dvr (I assume they are even more compressed on the dvr bc they never sound good), my movies are much better looking than the DVR. The only think I have other to compare to is Dolby Vision off of a live ESPN, which looked incredible. Especially since this is a low end 4k tv. Other than "looking faded" is there any other test I can perform to see if it's truly receiving the HDR? Lets assume all factors are good. How could I get the display to say YES? If it's a Windows update issue, which it has to be for more than one of us to get the same issue, what does that involve to fix? Only a new update?
    Quote Quote  
  27. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Other than "looking faded" is there any other test I can perform to see if it's truly receiving the HDR?
    If the display is a TV, it may be able to tell you that it is receiving HDR. What happens varies according to the brand and model but the TV might flash a logo in the top right corner showing it's receiving HDR in the signal or display an HDR indicator with the other text that appears after using the Info button on the remote. See https://www.digitaltrends.com/home-theater/how-to-know-if-youre-getting-hdr-on-your-tv/
    Quote Quote  
  28. Originally Posted by usually_quiet View Post
    Other than "looking faded" is there any other test I can perform to see if it's truly receiving the HDR?
    If the display is a TV, it may be able to tell you that it is receiving HDR. What happens varies according to the brand and model but the TV might flash a logo in the top right corner showing it's receiving HDR in the signal or display an HDR indicator with the other text that appears after using the Info button on the remote. See https://www.digitaltrends.com/home-theater/how-to-know-if-youre-getting-hdr-on-your-tv/
    Very true indeed. I forgot about it, because it only showed HDR on the "top right" hand corner on one file. This file happened to be the one that was giving me the most trouble. So I thought it was flickering that HDR and some numbers like 21-22 to the left, bc of the bad file. I have not seen it on any workable files. I guess that at least tells me it is passing through though right? No INFO on remote. Does Have Dolby Vision detect, and like I said it did detect it the same passthrough just didn't play well? So what do you think about the Windows issue now? Is that even worth it? Is it even fixable without Microsoft doing it not Dell?
    Quote Quote