Page 2 of 3
FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast
Thread
  1. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Originally Posted by forsure View Post
    Originally Posted by usually_quiet View Post
    Other than "looking faded" is there any other test I can perform to see if it's truly receiving the HDR?
    If the display is a TV, it may be able to tell you that it is receiving HDR. What happens varies according to the brand and model but the TV might flash a logo in the top right corner showing it's receiving HDR in the signal or display an HDR indicator with the other text that appears after using the Info button on the remote. See https://www.digitaltrends.com/home-theater/how-to-know-if-youre-getting-hdr-on-your-tv/
    Very true indeed. I forgot about it, because it only showed HDR on the "top right" hand corner on one file. This file happened to be the one that was giving me the most trouble. So I thought it was flickering that HDR and some numbers like 21-22 to the left, bc of the bad file. I have not seen it on any workable files. I guess that at least tells me it is passing through though right? No INFO on remote. Does Have Dolby Vision detect, and like I said it did detect it the same passthrough just didn't play well? So what do you think about the Windows issue now? Is that even worth it? Is it even fixable without Microsoft doing it not Dell?
    Regarding Windows 10 and HDR, I don't think that fixing the issue is worth it.

I thought the only type of HDR passthrough Windows 10 supports is HDR10, unless it's Windows 10 running on an XBOX One, but it looks like I'm wrong about that. Unfortunately, I can't test Dolby Vision passthrough with my setup since my Intel processor's UHD 630 is limited to HDR 10 passthrough and my monitor only supports HDR-10 input.
    Ignore list: hello_hello, tried, TechLord, Snoopy329
    Quote Quote  
  2. Originally Posted by usually_quiet View Post
    Other than "looking faded" is there any other test I can perform to see if it's truly receiving the HDR?
    If the display is a TV, it may be able to tell you that it is receiving HDR. What happens varies according to the brand and model but the TV might flash a logo in the top right corner showing it's receiving HDR in the signal or display an HDR indicator with the other text that appears after using the Info button on the remote. See https://www.digitaltrends.com/home-theater/how-to-know-if-youre-getting-hdr-on-your-tv/
    Very true indeed. I forgot about it, because it only showed HDR on the "top right" hand corner on one file. This file happened to be the one that was giving me the most trouble. So I thought it was flickering that HDR and some numbers like 21-22 to the left, bc of the bad file. I have not seen it on any workable files. I guess that at least tells me it is passing through though right? No INFO on remote. Does Have Dolby Vision detect, and like I said it did detect it the same passthrough just didn't play well? So what do you think about the Windows issue now? Is that even worth it? Is it even fixable without Microsoft doing it not Dell?
    Regarding Windows 10 and HDR, I don't think that fixing the issue is worth it.

I thought the only type of HDR passthrough Windows 10 supports is HDR10, unless it's Windows 10 running on an XBOX One, but it looks like I'm wrong about that. Unfortunately, I can't test Dolby Vision passthrough with my setup since my Intel processor's UHD 630 is limited to HDR 10 passthrough and my monitor only supports HDR-10 input.
    1. As far as Windows, I agree.
    2. My Tv may not allow for passthrough on Dolby Vision, however I have not seen any files listed with that codec to test. I did however test playback with a HDR+ file (verified by Media Info) and it plays fine. My TV does not list HDR+ as a format, so according to the web site you cited, it's a guessing game everywhere.
    3. I would imagine that the newer version of MPC_HC is allowing for passthrough of at least HDR/+ otherwise it would not play at all? My Guess.
    4. Are you not losing quality on "streaming Prime Video" or supposed DV/HDR playback through the DVR? It looks really dark and movies in the past that I used the DVR with my 1080p tv looked bad too. Live Dolby Vision from ESPN was the only time my display settings from the TV reflected the format, except for the one time that a skipping file flashed HDR in top right corner. Well thanks again.
    Last edited by forsure; 19th Mar 2021 at 07:19.
    Quote Quote  
  3. Member
    Search Comp PM
    2. My Tv may not allow for passthrough on Dolby Vision, however I have not seen any files listed with that codec to test. I did however test playback with a HDR+ file (verified by Media Info) and it plays fine. My TV does not list HDR+ as a format, so according to the web site you cited, it's a guessing game everywhere.
    I'm not sure what you mean by HDR+. The only thing my search engine found was a reference to HDR+ mode, which is a faux HDR effect available from some Samsung TVs that users can apply to enhance non-HDR content. There is also HDR10+, which Samsung chose to support for its UHD models instead of supporting Dolby Vision.

3. I would imagine that the newer version of MPC_HC is allowing for passthrough of at least HDR/+ otherwise it would not play at all? My Guess.
    My guess is that passthrough also depends on the GPU. I know something about HDR support for built-in Intel processor UHD graphics but not much about discrete graphics cards.

4. Are you not losing quality on "streaming Prime Video" or supposed DV/HDR playback through the DVR? It looks really dark and movies in the past that I used the DVR with my 1080p tv looked bad too. Live Dolby Vision from ESPN was the only time my display settings from the TV reflected the format, except for the one time that a skipping file flashed HDR in top right corner. Well thanks again.
    My experience with HDR is limited to playing UHD Blu-ray and downloaded HDR demo files on my PC so I don't know how much quality I'd lose on streaming video or DV/HDR playback through the DVR.

I have broadband Internet but only 3 to 3.5 Mbps download service to save money, so streaming UHD HDR video is out of the question and I have an old cable box that supports HD cable at 1080i or 720p but with no UHD TV yet it's good enough. I'm looking at UHD TVs and may buy one this year.
    Quote Quote  
  4. Right there are 5 different formats of HDR...Just saying my (if you want to buy cheap for good enough) Hisense 58" $300 Walmart Tv, supports most and all that I know of being played. HDR10+ being more superior than HDR10.

I was quoting from your cite (forgot "10")

You may encounter several names for HDR, including HDR10, HDR10+, Dolby Vision, and Hybrid-Log Gamma (HLG),Advanced HDR by Technicolor These are all considered HDR formats, but they’re all a little bit different.

I don't know if I'm getting what I should. It's good enough.
    Last edited by forsure; 19th Mar 2021 at 12:44.
    Quote Quote  
  5. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Right there are 5 different formats of HDR10...Just saying my (if you want to buy cheap for good enough) Hisense 58" $300 Walmart Tv, supports most and all that I know of being played. HDR10+ being more superior than HDR!0.
    I'm leaning towards a 2021 43-inch Sony TV with an ATSC 3.0 tuner. It will cost twice as much but I don't have space for a larger TV. I want to watch UHD Blu-ray which use HDR10 or Dolby Vision, plus the few ATSC 3.0 channels being broadcast here, which use HLG for HDR. As far as HDR10+ goes, outside of streaming video, it isn't used much.
    Quote Quote  
  6. I would imagine as well that the cable company would be responsible for this and not the tv.

"What’s more, a few changes need to happen before the public will be able to watch this new generation of broadcast TV. For instance, consumers will need a new TV or converter box with the 3.0 tuner."

I am sure my wonderful xfinity brothers will take care of any channels I'm missing. If and when buddy If and when the 2 most useless words in the dictionary.
    Quote Quote  
  7. Member
    Search Comp PM
    I would imagine as well that the cable company would be responsible for this and not the tv.

"What’s more, a few changes need to happen before the public will be able to watch this new generation of broadcast TV. For instance, consumers will need a new TV or converter box with the 3.0 tuner."

I am sure my wonderful xfinity brothers will take care of any channels I'm missing. If and when buddy If and when the 2 most useless words in the dictionary.
    The new UHD TV is going to be responsible in this case because my local ATSC 3.0 channels aren't available on cable in that format, only as over-the-air broadcasts, and converter boxes for ATSC 3.0 are not inexpensive. I already have and use an indoor antenna to watch some of my local SD ATSC 1.0 broadcast channels that do not qualify for mandatory carriage on cable.
    Quote Quote  
  8. So MPC-HC DOES NOT PASSSS HDR. Isn't MadVr old? Is there support for MPC-HC anymore?, Looks like Github issues are closed. Any new players out there that support HDR?I noticed today while playing HDR video from You tube that it detects HDR like Dolby Vision in video settings of the Tv. Just dont' know still if this issue with Windows YES will enable or not even effect since Media Player does not support. Didn't think that was possible for a codec to even play with some attributes, because the files certainly work and are listed as HDR codec according to Media Info.

https://forum.videohelp.com/threads/393534-Can-someone-guide-how-to-set-video-player-f...ms#post2614822

Any new thoughts? I tried Pot Player. Not yet on 4k tv. but it makes 2160p files look like 720p or worse on 1080p tv when MPC=Hc looks better

https://forum.videohelp.com/threads/384670-How-do-I-play-HDR-content

UauallyQuiet posted regrading settings but someone else posted regarding Windows updates caused problem. Does this problem effect all players or just MPC-HC? I do not think Poplayer even renders 4k a/r maybe the colors are the same?
    Last edited by forsure; 24th Mar 2021 at 12:23.
    Quote Quote  
  9. Member
    Search Comp PM
    So MPC-HC DOES NOT PASSSS HDR. Isn't MadVr old? Is there support for MPC-HC anymore?, Looks like Github issues are closed. Any new players out there that support HDR?I noticed today while playing HDR video from You tube that it detects HDR like Dolby Vision in video settings of the Tv. Just dont' know still if this issue with Windows YES will enable or not even effect since Media Player does not support. Didn't think that was possible for a codec to even play with some attributes, because the files certainly work and are listed as HDR codec according to Media Info.

https://forum.videohelp.com/threads/393534-Can-someone-guide-how-to-set-video-player-f...ms#post2614822

Any new thoughts? I tried Pot Player. Not yet on 4k tv. but it makes 2160p files look like 720p or worse on 1080p tv when MPC=Hc looks better

https://forum.videohelp.com/threads/384670-How-do-I-play-HDR-content

UauallyQuiet posted regrading settings but someone else posted regarding Windows updates caused problem. Does this problem effect all players or just MPC-HC? I do not think Poplayer even renders 4k a/r maybe the colors are the same?
    Yes, MadVR and MPC-HC are both old. Even so, some still use them and like the results that they produce in combination. Although development has ended for MPC-HC, its descendant, MPC-BE, is still being developed. MPC Video Renderer can be used with MPC-BE for HDR video playback. I think MPC Video Renderer uses tone-mapping to render HDR10. I don't know if there is a way for MPC-BE to support HDR10 pass-through.

I know from personal experience that HDR10 pass-through to a TV is definitely possible for Windows 10 if the GPU supports it. I tried PotPlayer but settled on Cyberlink Power DVD Ultra and VLC for video playback with HDR-10 pass-through.

I think you need to forget about getting a Windows 10 PC to pass through any type of HDR other than HDR10 for the time being. From what I have been able to find out, it appears that, at this time, Windows 10 simply doesn't support HLG, HDR10+, or Dolby Vision pass-through to a connected TV when playing video files or streaming video. I did discover a few Lenovo laptops certified by Dolby that support Dolby Vision on their own display but there is no information in their specs regarding their ability to pass-through Dolby Vision to a connected TV.
    Last edited by usually_quiet; 24th Mar 2021 at 21:44. Reason: spelling
    Quote Quote  
  10. I have been able to use Potplayer. it does not passthrough but the color settings got a lot better when enabling HDR with the player and supported file. My GPU/Windows DOES SUPPORT HDR just not the other formats. It was just broken like the other poster said about Windows. How do I get it back to say YES and will the software override the passthrough, if it is says NO. I watched 2 videos today on YOutube one listed Dolby Vision, the other HDR 10+. Both showed up in TV display as HDR. Like I said I have seen the TV decode Dolby Vision but no files yet. Does your tv display say HDR when using VLC?

Do you think that unless I can get Windows to say YES in HD color settings that it will never passthorugh. regardless of the player?

Is using hdr setting in Potplayer the same as it passing through? It got rid of the haze, and look so much better except for dark scenes.

Using Potplayer with video renderer-Built in Direct3d 11, then setting to HDR. If I use Madvr it looks more colorful with out HDR and with it on it's too bright.

I looked at my display properties for my video cards Intel = not supported , AMD Radeon = n/a
    Last edited by forsure; 25th Mar 2021 at 12:10.
    Quote Quote  
  11. Member
    Search Comp PM
    My GPU/Windows DOES SUPPORT HDR just not the other formats. It was just broken like the other poster said about Windows. How do I get it back to say YES and will the software override the passthrough, if it is says NO.
    Are you aware that your screenshot at https://forum.videohelp.com/threads/401151-Restore-HDR-Color-settings-in-Windows-10#post2614118 indicates the HD Color Settings shown are for the "Display 1:internal display"? Isn't that the laptop screen? Does your laptop screen support displaying 4K HDR video? If the laptop screen doesn't support HDR, the HDR-related settings should say "NO" for "Display 1:internal display".

If the laptop is connected to a 4K HDR TV another set of settings should appear if you select "Display 2: ..." in the dropdown list under the "Choose Display" heading. The HDR-related settings should show "YES" for "Display 2: ...".

I watched 2 videos today on YOutube one listed Dolby Vision, the other HDR 10+. Both showed up in TV display as HDR. Like I said I have seen the TV decode Dolby Vision but no files yet. Does your tv display say HDR when using VLC?
    I don't have an HDR-capable TV. My desktop PC's 1080p monitor has two display modes that support 2160p HDR10 input and several other modes that don't support HDR input. The input mode is selected by using the Dell Display Manager App.

I am using my monitor in 4k HDR mode with VLC's hardware-assisted decoding set to "Automatic", which is supposed to enable HDR10 pass-through. Using those settings with my monitor set to "Movie HDR", I get good HDR color when playing 2160p HDR10 video. Unfortunately, I can't see an indicator for HDR or no HDR flash momentarily on the screen. Perhaps VLC in full-screen mode is hiding it.
    Last edited by usually_quiet; 25th Mar 2021 at 21:41.
    Quote Quote  
  12. 1. Yes. It was tried with both displays. That is just the screenshot I took. I am not sure what my monitor supports. I did notice that my tv would not recognize HDR sometimes (off YTube), that just involved restarting the TV to fix. However regardless of whether it was saying HDR, it still looked the same.

What does AMD reading N/A for HDR verses Intel saying 'Not Supported" tell you? In video card properties.
    Quote Quote  
  13. Member
    Search Comp PM
    What does AMD reading N/A for HDR verses Intel saying 'Not Supported" tell you? In video card properties.
    The video card properties confirm what I could find out using a search engine. An AMD Radeon R5 M335 doesn't even seem to support hardware-accelerated HEVC decoding. If that's true, it is very doubtful that it supports HDR10 passthrough. Although Skylake's Intel HD Graphics 520 supports hardware-accelerated HEVC decoding, it doesn't support HDR. Intel processor GPU support for HDR10 started with Kaby Lake's UHD Graphics 620 and UHD Graphics 630.

[Edit]Neither of your computer's GPUs are adequate for playing UHD content with HDR10 passthrough. The Intel processor's HEVC decoding combined with a player that supports tone-mapping to simulate HDR might provide OK results.
    Last edited by usually_quiet; 26th Mar 2021 at 17:45.
    Quote Quote  
  14. Originally Posted by usually_quiet View Post
    The video card properties confirm what I could find out using a search engine. An AMD Radeon R5 M335 doesn't even seem to support hardware-accelerated HEVC decoding. If that's true, it is very doubtful that it supports HDR10 passthrough. Although Skylake's Intel HD Graphics 520 supports hardware-accelerated HEVC decoding, it doesn't support HDR. Intel processor GPU support for HDR10 started with Kaby Lake's UHD Graphics 620 and UHD Graphics 630.

[Edit]Neither of your computer's GPUs are adequate for playing UHD content with HDR10 passthrough. The Intel processor's HEVC decoding combined with a player that supports tone-mapping to simulate HDR might provide OK results.
    OK I am just going by what Dell told me. Don't you think that n/a is different than "not supported though?

So do you recommend a new GPU? Do I only need one replaced? Or did Windows break this connection with the update so it does not matter? I am going to contact AMD, and I am at the moment dling updates for my gpu, so we shall see.

BTW Lg65 GXPUA'oled for $3500 has atsc 3.0 tuner.
    Quote Quote  
  15. Member
    Search Comp PM

OK I am just going by what Dell told me. Don't you think that n/a is different than "not supported though?
    Not in a meaningful way. HDR10 is tied to HEVC, which is very resource-intensive to decode using software, especially at UHD resolution. Without the ability to use hardware-assisted decoding for HEVC, HDR10 passthrough becomes N/A (not applicable) for the AMD Radeon R5 M335.

So do you recommend a new GPU? Do I only need one replaced?
    You had better ask Dell about this. I have heard that all Skylake motherboards will accept any Kaby Lake processor (with a BIOS update) but it can be hard to replace laptop CPUs. The specs say graphics are switchable but it may be pointless to replace the CPU if all the video outputs are only available when using the AMD Radeon R5 M335. I don't think you can replace the AMD Radeon R5 M335 with a new graphics card.

BTW Lg65 GXPUA'oled for $3500 has atsc 3.0 tuner.
    Oh, I looked at OLED TVs some time ago due to their perfect black levels. Most are too big for me and all are too expensive for me.
    Last edited by usually_quiet; 26th Mar 2021 at 21:13.
    Quote Quote  
  16. [/QUOTE]Oh, I looked at OLED TVs some time ago due to their perfect black levels. Most are too big for me and all are too expensive for me.[/QUOTE]

Yah my friend bought one and he said my black levels on my $300 Hisense were no different. It's mainly marketing, imo.

I am not asking the guy from Pakistan representing Dell anything anymore. I have contacted AMD.

Right now I have to deal with Denon and their bs about faulty microprocessors in 2 units. I should have to pay for it? I will pay for a Chicken Caesar salad for Denon, that's about it.
    Last edited by forsure; 26th Mar 2021 at 21:18.
    Quote Quote  
  17. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Yah my friend bought one and he said my back levels on my $300 Hisense were no different. It's mainly marketing, imo.
    Nope. Assuming the TV's image processing is very good, perfect OLED blacks really do make a difference in dark scenes especially if the person buying the TV likes to watch movies in a darkened room.
    Quote Quote  
  18. Originally Posted by usually_quiet View Post
    Yah my friend bought one and he said my back levels on my $300 Hisense were no different. It's mainly marketing, imo.
    Nope. Assuming the TV's image processing is very good, perfect OLED blacks really do make a difference in dark scenes especially if the person buying the TV likes to watch movies in a darkened room.

Everyone is entitled tp their opinion. Beauty is in the eyes of the beholder. However, according to the professionals at Sound & Vision magazine it is not true. Summation according to the reviewer on Top Value pick Hisense 65H8g at $5-800 currently. " reviewer TJG ultimately found he never felt an irresistible urge to go back to his reference LGOLED while using the Hisense as his main TV".
    Last edited by forsure; 27th Mar 2021 at 06:50.
    Quote Quote  
  19. Member
    Search Comp PM

Everyone is entitled tp their opinion. Beauty is in the eyes of the beholder. However, according to the professionals at Sound & Vision magazine it is not true. Summation according to the reviewer on Top Value pick Hisense 65H8g at $5-800 currently. " reviewer TJG ultimately found he never felt an irresistible urge to go back to his reference LGOLED while using the Hisense as his main TV".
    I don't know why you seem to think I have not done my own research and plenty of it regarding TVs and panel technology. I looked at Hisense TVs at one time, specifically, the H8G and H9G, and read pro reviews praising both of them, but after reading user reviews, I don't want a Hisense TV anymore. The Hisense H9G, the best TV Hisense sold in the US last year, has quality control problems and some weird image processing issues. Plus, all of Hisense's better 4K TVs are still too big for the location I have in mind. Unlike everyone else in the world, apparently, I can't use and don't want a giant screen. I am primarily looking for better color. Detail is of secondary importance.
    Last edited by usually_quiet; 27th Mar 2021 at 13:31.
    Quote Quote  
  20. Member
    Search Comp PM
    I was apparently wrong about VLC's ability to provide HDR pass-through for my Dell HDR-capable monitor. When I tested VLC last week, I was using an extended desktop where the primary display was a small HDTV/monitor and the secondary display was my Dell HDR-capable monitor. VLC's video playback window was located on the secondary display, the Dell monitor, and VLC's interface was located on the primary display, the HDTV/monitor. It appears that VLC was applying tone mapping to the Dell monitor because the primary monitor was not capable of HDR. When I played the same video using VLC today with the Dell HDR-capable monitor as the only display, the color was less vivid. However, PowerDVD Ultra 18 and Windows 10's Movies and TV app show vivid color.
    Quote Quote  
  21. Well according to AMD Please be informed that AMD does not manufacture RADEON R5M335 ,Radeon HD and Radeon RX series graphics cards. AMD is the manufacturer of the graphics chip and vendor’s such as Sapphire, Asus, Gigabyte, XFX, HIS, MSI, Power color etc. manufacture graphics card using AMD graphics technologies and customize the graphic cards as per their need and requirements.

The specifications and features are decided by the GPU manufacturer and will vary from manufacturer to manufacturer .so I would suggest you to please get in touch with GPU manufacturer regarding your query as they can assist you better .

So how do I find that out? Everywhere I look it says AMD manufacturers the card.
    Quote Quote  
  22. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Well according to AMD Please be informed that AMD does not manufacture RADEON R5M335 ,Radeon HD and Radeon RX series graphics cards. AMD is the manufacturer of the graphics chip and vendor’s such as Sapphire, Asus, Gigabyte, XFX, HIS, MSI, Power color etc. manufacture graphics card using AMD graphics technologies and customize the graphic cards as per their need and requirements.

The specifications and features are decided by the GPU manufacturer and will vary from manufacturer to manufacturer .so I would suggest you to please get in touch with GPU manufacturer regarding your query as they can assist you better .

So how do I find that out? Everywhere I look it says AMD manufacturers the card.
    what version of windows 10 do you have ?? - https://support.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/hdr-and-wcg-color-settings-in-windows-10-2...7-bbc6c5ef24e6
    Quote Quote  
  23. Originally Posted by october262 View Post
    Well according to AMD Please be informed that AMD does not manufacture RADEON R5M335 ,Radeon HD and Radeon RX series graphics cards. AMD is the manufacturer of the graphics chip and vendor’s such as Sapphire, Asus, Gigabyte, XFX, HIS, MSI, Power color etc. manufacture graphics card using AMD graphics technologies and customize the graphic cards as per their need and requirements.

what version of windows 10 do you have ?? - https://support.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/hdr-and-wcg-color-settings-in-windows-10-2...7-bbc6c5ef24e6
    Windows 10 Pro, other than that I don't know. Are you actually reading this thread, we are way past Windows versions and location of settings
    Quote Quote  
  24. Member
    Search Comp PM

Google is your friend. There is information about the AMD Radeon R5 M335 posted on the Internet.

There are specs at https://www.notebookcheck.net/AMD-Radeon-R5-M335.144861.0.html. It is described as a dedicated low-end mobile GPU, which indicates it is likely to be a chip soldered onto the motherboard.

The specs say this:
    Features of the R5 M335 include video decoding for MPEG-4 AVC/H.264, VC-1, MPEG-2, and Flash directly by the AMD GPU. Multi-View Codec (MVC) and MPEG-4 part 2 (DivX, xVid) HD videos are compatible as well.

The R5 series also supports automatic graphics switching between the integrated GPU and discrete GPU.
    The AMD Radeon R5 M335 doesn't support H.265 hardware-accelerated decoding or output at UHD resolution but users can switch to the Intel processor graphics. However, your Intel processor graphics won't provide HDR passthrough either.

Intel HD Graphics 520 (Skylake processors) have support for HEVC hardware-accelerated decoding and output at UHD resolution. See: https://www.notebookcheck.net/Intel-HD-Graphics-520.149940.0.html However, Intel HD Graphics 520 don't support HDR pass-through. Support for HDR-passthrough wasn't added until the next generation of Intel processors, Kaby Lake, with Intel UHD 620 and 630 Graphics. Unfortunately, Kaby Lake uses a different socket and is incompatible with your motherboard, so you can't install one. I was wrong. They do use the same socket. However, I need to check chipset compatibility. Also, some mobile processors are soldered to the motherboard and can't be replaced, so I'd need the exact processor model number to find out if that is the case.
    Last edited by usually_quiet; 29th Mar 2021 at 17:54. Reason: punctuation, correction
    Quote Quote  
  25. Originally Posted by usually_quiet View Post
    Google is your friend. There is information about the AMD Radeon R5 M335 posted on the Internet.

There are specs at https://www.notebookcheck.net/AMD-Radeon-R5-M335.144861.0.html. It is described as a dedicated low-end mobile GPU, which indicates it is likely to be a chip soldered onto the motherboard.

The specs say this:
    Features of the R5 M335 include video decoding for MPEG-4 AVC/H.264, VC-1, MPEG-2, and Flash directly by the AMD GPU. Multi-View Codec (MVC) and MPEG-4 part 2 (DivX, xVid) HD videos are compatible as well.

The R5 series also supports automatic graphics switching between the integrated GPU and discrete GPU.
    The AMD Radeon R5 M335 doesn't support H.265 hardware-accelerated decoding or output at UHD resolution but users can switch to the Intel processor graphics. ...but your Intel processor graphics won't provide HEVC passthrough either.

Intel HD Graphics 520 (Broadwell/Skylake processors) have support for HEVC hardware-accelerated decoding and output at UHD resolution. See: https://www.notebookcheck.net/Intel-HD-Graphics-520.149940.0.html However, Intel HD Graphics 520 don't support HDR pass-through. Support for HDR-passthrough wasn't added until the next generation of Intel processors Kaby Lake, with Intel UHD 620 and 630 Graphics. However, Kaby Lake uses a different socket and is incompatible with your motherboard.
    Google is only your friend if you have the intelligence to speak to it correctly. I used to tell people that 2. Are you my friend? I need a new receiver, a new laptop (might as well get the best graphics card in the world, even though I HATE GAMES. Don't forget my car repairs 2 Ted.
    Quote Quote  
  26. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Originally Posted by october262 View Post

Windows 10 Pro, other than that I don't know. Are you actually reading this thread, we are way past Windows versions and location of settings
    right click on the windows 10 icon, select system - under windows specifications - you must have version 2004
    for HDR to work
    Quote Quote  
  27. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Google is only your friend if you have the intelligence to speak to it correctly. I used to tell people that 2. Are you my friend? I need a new receiver, a new laptop (might as well get the best graphics card in the world, even though I HATE GAMES. Don't forget my car repairs 2 Ted.
    I edited my post while you were typing. I made a correction and added more areas that I need to check.

While I don't think of us as friends, I am trying to help you. BTW I built my last three desktop PCs. The last two were Intel systems. I know enough about hardware to find out things that I want to know.

I don't play games either, so I don't know much about discrete graphics cards, but for the most part, the most recent Intel graphics are sufficient for playing HEVC UHD video. Getting HDR-passthrough to work isn't easy at present.
    Last edited by usually_quiet; 29th Mar 2021 at 12:45.
    Quote Quote