VideoHelp Forum
+ Reply to Thread
Thread
  1. I have recently started to convert my DVD collection to MKV format with Xmedia recode.
    I use windows 7 32 bit on desktop.

The problem I am facing is that while soft-coding DVD subtitles (the subtitle stream that is on the DVD itself) i.e using "copy" function on XMR subtitle page of XMR, I get dull thick jet black subtitles which are not viewable.
    However, if I use hard-code "rendering" option then I get white subtitles but I do not want hard coded subs anyway.
    I have tried various subtitles codecs offered by XMR but none solves this problem

I have used WMP 12, AVS media player and BS media player and can't change the appearance even though on BS player I have altered the font and colors of subtitle in the settings.
    Seems like these subtitles are copied in this fixed blackness by XMR as on its subtitle page there is no option for altering font/color while copying them.

The only option I am left with is to turn off the subtitles altogether when viewing video!
    Thanks for the help
    Last edited by qorda; 17th Mar 2021 at 08:57.
    Quote Quote  
  2. DVD subtitles are graphics, not text. If you want scalable subs with font/color control you'll need to convert to a text format like SRT or SSA.
    Quote Quote  
  3. Originally Posted by jagabo View Post
    DVD subtitles are graphics, not text. If you want scalable subs with font/color control you'll need to convert to a text format like SRT or SSA.
    If that is the case then why are "copied" subtitles from DVD stream black but the same are white when "rendered" permanently?
    Quote Quote  
  4. Originally Posted by qorda View Post
    Originally Posted by jagabo View Post
    DVD subtitles are graphics, not text. If you want scalable subs with font/color control you'll need to convert to a text format like SRT or SSA.
    If that is the case then why are "copied" subtitles from DVD stream black but the same are white when "rendered" permanently?
    Different subtitle renderer. Some pay attention to the color palette specified in the subs, some don't.
    Quote Quote