VideoHelp Forum
+ Reply to Thread
Thread
  1. I have been testing the Hauppauge USB capture device with a Hi8 tape. I would say that the picture has better contrast compared to the Dazzle device that I first tested. Still, the color does not seem as saturated. But, that may be due to the improved contrast. I also get fewer dropped/inserted frames.

There is a major problem though. At places where the camera got bounced a bit during recording, I am now getting a terrible loss of sync. I am attaching two copies of the same video clip, shot in the work truck (which was quite a rough ride). The "before" was my first capture with the Dazzle device, and the "after" was with the Hauppauge device. In the before, jumps can be seen where frames were inserted in problem areas. The "after" goes totally crazy at those spots.

Question 1: Would passing the video signal (I'm using S-Video out) through a Panasonic DMR ES-10 or DMR ES-15 cure this problem?

Question 2: Could this be a result of a driver conflict? I did not uninstall the old Dazzle driver before I installed the Hauppage driver. Is it possible that the two drivers are conflicting. I ask this because I went back to testing that Dazzle, and it now shows the same problems with that section of tape.

Question 3: Could it be that the tape has been played too many times? The tape is 30 years old, and it may not have been able to handle 3 or 4 test captures.
    Image Attached Files
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    Well there are def time-base issues there so passing through one of those should fix them.
    Quote Quote  
  3. I agree an ES10/15 should fix most of those time base problems. You should be able to use the capture devices' proc amp settings to adjust the contrast, brightness, and saturation. The Hauppauge is crushing blacks.
    Quote Quote  
  4. Thanks everyone. I believe that Amazon has a used ES10. I'll have to look into it. Or, is there possibly a better source?

On adjusting the capture device's proc amp, how do I access those settings?
    Quote Quote  
  5. P.S. I found that Amazon has both an ES10 and an ES15 (both used). Which would be better? (I am working with NTSC)
    Quote Quote  
  6. Originally Posted by anachronon View Post
    On adjusting the capture device's proc amp, how do I access those settings?
    It varies depending on the program and device you're using. In VirtualDub try the Video -> Capture Filter or Video -> Capture Pin. Maybe one of the Video Crossbar options. In VLC, after selecting the capture device, select the Advanced Options button. Tick the Device Properties option. When you press Start to start capturing you will then get the dialogs that let you configure the device. One of them will be the proc amp settings. The exact options vary but here's an example:

[Attachment 57831 - Click to enlarge]

Another way is to use GraphStudio. Insert the capture device filters (video capture, crossbar, etc.). Right click on the filters and select properties until you find the one with the proc amp. You can usually adjust the proc amp while previewing or capturing in another program -- for realtime playback.
    Quote Quote  
  7. Captures & Restoration lollo's Avatar
    Search Comp PM
    I found that Amazon has both an ES10 and an ES15 (both used). Which would be better?
    http://www.digitalfaq.com/forum/video-capture/9495-panasonic-es10-es15.html

For the loss of sync give AmarecTV a try, but if the tape has serious time problems only an external frame TBC may fix them (in addition to the line TBC of your VCR or Camera).
    ES10/15 (not a real frame TBC) is a cheaper alternative as the others said.
    Quote Quote  
  8. Thanks. I found the video proc amp in VirtualDub under "Video->Capture Filter.

There is an odd thing that I noticed on the VirtualDub "capture pin..." I set the frame size to 720x480 (NTSC) which is supposedly the "default". But, VirtualDub keeps switching it back to "720x416". Could this be causing my problem? I don't know why this is happening, or if it even means anything.

Is there some other setting that I might be missing, that could cause my sync problems? I ask because my first capture was clean, except for a couple inserted frames. The second capture did not insert any frames, but had the sync issues.

Does anyone know of a good tutorial or Youtube video that discusses using AmaRecTC for home video capture? I have tried to research that software. But, everything I have read applies to gaming. Can AmaRecTV save uncompressed formats, like Lagarith?
    Quote Quote  
  9. Captures & Restoration lollo's Avatar
    Search Comp PM
    AmarecTV is very easy, just navigate in the menu.

Download 3.10 version, and use whatever lossless codec you prefere.

I use this settings (change them to NTSC defaults):
    Graph 1(Device) Device Setting -> Decoder video PAL_G
    *w=720, h=576, fps=25,00, fcc=YUY2, bit=16
    *sample=48000, bit=16, ch= 2
    Recording Frame rate 999
    Video Compressor Other Codec HFYU
    Advanced X Wait for exit
    Video Renderer Setting
    X Auto
    X Change a "HDYC" to "UYVY"
    Record Setting
    X Use Null frame.
    X Match the start timing of the audio with a video.

Here a guide: https://kb.speeddemosarchive.com/Amarectv_configuration
    Quote Quote  
  10. Originally Posted by anachronon View Post
    my first capture was clean, except for a couple inserted frames. The second capture did not insert any frames, but had the sync issues.
    Try fast forwarding the tape all the way to the end, then rewind all the way back to the beginning. Then capture again. Any better? Sometimes after multiple partial plays and rewinds the tape gets wound unevenly on the real causing it to drag unevenly, especially in an old player.
    Quote Quote  
  11. Thanks everyone, for the suggestions and ideas. I will be pretty busy for the next couple days. So, it may be a while before I can play with this stuff.
    Quote Quote