VideoHelp Forum
+ Reply to Thread

mp4

Thread
    Search Comp PM
    hi i have bought tmpgenc 7 and i 'd like to convert from a dvd to a generic mp4 file that would play on most macs and pcs / mobiles

i'd appreciate advice on what typical settings i might chose to employ to cover most bases please
    Quote Quote  
  2. Start with the mp4 defaults and then raise the bitrate if the quality doesn't suit you. You should also generally output progessive instead of interlaced. TMPGenc has decent deinterlacing filters which you may want to experiment with -- again, start with the default and work from there.
    Last edited by smrpix; 12th Mar 2021 at 08:54.
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    Thanks so much . really appreciated. three further questions if i may -
    why do you recommend progressive over interlace
    is would the average bit rate of setting of 8.2 be sufficient for most cases where the orig transfer was from an old vhs anyway?
    and does it make a difference if i chose h264 instead of h265?

thanks again
    Quote Quote  
  4. 1. Most displays are progressive. While I'm generally an advocate of leaving interlacing be, if you're converting to mp4 may as well go the whole way.
    2. 8.2 may well be overkill for SD recordings. You can try reducing it to around 4 and not see a significant difference.
    3. H.264 is still more ubiquitous, so more people can easily watch it. While the encoding is less efficient, it is also generally a lot faster.
    Quote Quote  
  5. I don't know if tmpgenc supports the x264 encoder but if it does use crf rather than bitrate. With crf encoding you pick the quality you want and the encoder uses exactly the right bitrate to deliver that quality. You can also create mp4 video from DVDs with Handbrake (free). It supports x264 (c)RF encoding.
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    thank you i followed the steps for h264 and it worked fine.
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    hi and thank you all

sorry for delay in responding

there are other settings that i did not ask about in tmgenc mastering works 5 when outputting to mp4

to be on safe side, i would also love some advice on them please if anyone knows

what suggestions would you have with regarding to the profile and level (i assume the '4' referred to previously was the 'Level 4', aspect ratio (the video i've imported is 576 x 720), rate control mode and the bvb buffer size and performance sections

regards and hope well

emma
    Quote Quote  
  8. Profile@Level: Main@3.1 or High@3.1

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/H.264/MPEG-4_AVC#Profiles
    https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/H.264/MPEG-4_AVC#Levels

rate control: CRF

vbv buffer size usually doesn't matter if you specify profile and level.

I don't use the software so I don't know what performance settings are available. I suspect this is the x264 presets. Use medium or slow. The slower the preset the better the quality. But beyond slow there won't be much difference.
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    thanks and 4:3 for the aspect setting i guess?
    Quote Quote  
  10. The aspect ratio setting will depend on the aspect ratio of your source.
    Quote Quote