VideoHelp Forum
+ Reply to Thread
Thread
  1. I am trying to get a ATI TV Wonder 650 to even allow a machine to boot properly in a couple of older ASUS PCI/ISA/AGP systems. The card itself WORKS as I had it installed and working OK in a newer DELL based PCI-E/PCI host machine. It was basically just plug and play there.

However when trying trying this card on a older ASUS P2B-F host System or ASUS P3-V133 host system or similar AGP/PCI/ISA host, the system will not even POST.

These are older machines that I was intending to re-purpose for video capture with the TVW 650 PCI, but even when stripping the host systems down to nothing but this card and an ATI/Diamond system video card the system will not even attempt to post or do anything at all - just pure black screen. Removing the TV Wonder card from the PCI buss and machines boot fine as always...

Anyone ran across this before ???

tia.
    Quote Quote  
  2. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Do you get a beep code ?
    Quote Quote  
  3. nada.. Host system just sits. I do see the keyboard being scanned and front panel indicates HD access for a few seconds. But that's it.
    Quote Quote  
  4. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Perhaps there is some feature on the ATI that the older motherboard(s) do not like or support.
    Have you checked to see if there is a BIOS update?

Are the motherboards older than the ATI 650?
    Quote Quote  
  5. Originally Posted by davexnet View Post
    Perhaps there is some feature on the ATI that the older motherboard(s) do not like or support.

Yes there is an obvious issue between the host systems and the card, hence the no POST. These are P3/Celeron systems with enough memory on board but a bit dated.
    The TV Wonder card is circa ~2006, the host systems are circa ~1999-2001, but I would think PCI is PCI. The host systems are up to date (for what it's worth) BIOS/Firmware wise... There is no firmware updateable on the card itself.
    Last edited by thghgv; 11th Mar 2021 at 22:28.
    Quote Quote  
  6. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Well there were different PCI revisions,
    Perhaps the card is not backwards compatible, just a guess
    Quote Quote  
  7. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Originally Posted by thghgv View Post
    Originally Posted by davexnet View Post

Yes there is an obvious issue between the host systems and the card, hence the no POST. These are P3/Celeron systems with enough memory on board but a bit dated.
    The card is circa ~2007 the host systems are circa ~1999-2001, but I would think PCI is PCI. The host systems are up to date (for what it's worth) BIOS/Firmware wise... There is no firmware updateable on the card itself.

turn the computer off and unplug the computer, then try pulling the coin sized battery on the motherboard
    and let it sit for a few minutes, replace battery, and see if the computer will now boot correctly.
    Quote Quote  
  8. Originally Posted by october262 View Post
    turn the computer off and unplug the computer, then try pulling the coin sized battery on the motherboard
    and let it sit for a few minutes, replace battery, and see if the computer will now boot correctly.
    Yup did that before posting the thread... No go. Same result - no POST with the TV wonder installed. Successful POST
    when I pull it from the systems... also reset bios's to defaults etc...

As for PCI versioning, I don't see anywhere in the TV Wonder docs where it says it requires a certain version of PCI to operate.

I dunno... I guess these host machines are just too old to to support the TV capture process.
    Quote Quote  
  9. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Originally Posted by october262 View Post
    Yup did that before posting the thread... No go. Same result - no POST with the TV wonder installed. Successful POST
    when I pull it from the systems... also reset bios's to defaults etc...

As for PCI versioning, I don't see anywhere in the TV Wonder docs where it says it requires a certain version of PCI to operate.

I dunno... I guess these host machines are just too old to to support the TV capture process.
    since you have an ASUS motherboard, try this - https://knowledge.ni.com/KnowledgeArticleDetails?id=kA00Z0000019WFPSA2&l=en-US
    go into the the BIOS and find the correct downgrade setting for the PCIe slot.
    Quote Quote  
  10. Originally Posted by october262 View Post
    since you have an ASUS motherboard, try this - https://knowledge.ni.com/KnowledgeArticleDetails?id=kA00Z0000019WFPSA2&l=en-US
    go into the the BIOS and find the correct downgrade setting for the PCIe slot.
    Sage advice if there were any PCIe slots on any of these systems. There are none however... As stated earlier, firmwares on all 3 machines are at their peak - none of these systems have had "updates" coded by the OEM's in close to 20 years. They all have the "latest" available. Slot types for any/all these systems is AGP/PCI/ISA.

I know McPoodle had stated that he/she used "an old machine" with win98 and the TV Wonder 600/650 to do captions/video capture. However, from what I am seeing here these TVW 650 cards are extremely finicky about where they are used. The TVW650 card itself I re-verified as good on a newer class machine so it's definitely these 3 systems that simply will NOT comply. The reasoning for the latter I have not yet been able to comprehend...
    Last edited by thghgv; 12th Mar 2021 at 19:22.
    Quote Quote  
  11. Member
    Search Comp PM
    I know McPoodle had stated that he/she used "an old machine" with win98 and the TV Wonder 600/650 to do captions/video capture. However, from what I am seeing here these TVW 650 cards are extremely finicky about where they are used. The TVW650 card itself I re-verified as good on a newer class machine so it's definitely these 3 systems that simply will NOT comply. The reasoning for the latter I have not yet been able to comprehend...
    As I recall, the TV Wonder 600 and 650 devices don't have drivers available for Windows 98. They only have drivers available for Windows XP, Vista, and Windows 7. McPoodle actually wrote that he/she used a "TV Wonder PCI" card in a PC running Windows 98. There are several generations of TV Wonder devices that preceded the TV Wonder 600 and TV Wonder 650 models. One is a "TV Wonder PCI" card that dates from 2000. See https://www.anandtech.com/show/473 I suspect that device is what McPoodle used.
    Ignore list: hello_hello, tried, TechLord, Snoopy329
    Quote Quote  
  12. Originally Posted by usually_quiet View Post
    As I recall, the TV Wonder 600 and 650 devices don't have drivers available for Windows 98. They only have drivers available for Windows XP, Vista, and Windows 7. McPoodle actually wrote that he/she used a "TV Wonder PCI" card in a PC running Windows 98. There are several generations of TV Wonder devices that preceded the TV Wonder 600 and TV Wonder 650 models. One is a "TV Wonder PCI" card that dates from 2000. See https://www.anandtech.com/show/473 I suspect that device is what McPoodle used.
    As far as Win98 goes, NONE of the older host systems I have here will even POST with the TV Wonder PCI card installed. So OS choice is basically moot at this point.
    The capture card I have here actually is a "TV Wonder PCI", with the number 650 slapped on the end of it. Not "All In Wonder", just "TV Wonder". No idea what the differences are between the two... It does seem very strange to me that all 3 older ASUS host systems I have here would flat reject this card outright.

McPoodle stated in his/her tests that nvidia host system vid cards and these "TV Wonder" cards did not work and play well with each other. Hence my two other attempts at video/caption capture were on higher end systems that BOTH have Nvidia Quadro cards employed for system video. I'm just following through in an attempt to match ATI with ATI to see if that alleviates the garbage caption issue I have had with ALL these devices...
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    pci had 3.3v and 5v versions. but the cards had different slots cut in them to prevent them from going into a wrong voltage slot.

will the old machines post with just the ati vid card?

if the machines have more than one pci slot try them all, as they map into different memory areas and one may have a conflict.
    --
    "a lot of people are better dead" - prisoner KSC2-303
    Quote Quote  
  14. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Originally Posted by usually_quiet View Post
    As far as Win98 goes, NONE of the older host systems I have here will even POST with the TV Wonder PCI card installed. So OS choice is basically moot at this point.
    The capture card I have here actually is a "TV Wonder PCI", with the number 650 slapped on the end of it. Not "All In Wonder", just "TV Wonder". No idea what the differences are between the two... It does seem very strange to me that all 3 older ASUS host systems I have here would flat reject this card outright.

McPoodle stated in his/her tests that nvidia host system vid cards and these "TV Wonder" cards did not work and play well with each other. Hence my two other attempts at video/caption capture were on higher end systems that BOTH have Nvidia Quadro cards employed for system video. I'm just following through in an attempt to match ATI with ATI to see if that alleviates the garbage caption issue I have had with ALL these devices...
    My point was that the AGP/PCI/ISA systems you are trying to use, which date from 2000 or 2001, may simply be too old to use with a card that was released in 2007. Significant changes to motherboards and CPUs occurred in the space of seven years.

There were lots of differences between the original ATI TV Wonder PCI card from 2000 and the ATI TV Wonder 650 PCI card from 2007. The ATI TV Wonder 650 PCI card has both an ATSC tuner and an NTSC tuner plus analog capture ports, while the original ATI TV Wonder PCI card from 2000 with no number attached had one analog tuner, period. If I recall correctly, one could use the ATI TV Wonder 650 PCI card's digital tuner and its analog tuner at the same time for recording TV.
    Ignore list: hello_hello, tried, TechLord, Snoopy329
    Quote Quote  
  15. Originally Posted by aedipuss View Post
    pci had 3.3v and 5v versions. but the cards had different slots cut in them to prevent them from going into a wrong voltage slot.
    will the old machines post with just the ati vid card?
    Yes. As stated above the host systems POST fine without the TV WONDER card installed stripped down to just system video.

Originally Posted by aedipuss View Post
    if the machines have more than one pci slot try them all, as they map into different memory areas and one may have a conflict.
    Yes. Tried all that as well. Most likely, since I don't hear anyone chiming in as having experienced a similar issue, these machines are probably too old for the TV Wonder I guess...
    Quote Quote  
  16. Originally Posted by usually_quiet View Post
    My point was that the AGP/PCI/ISA systems you are trying to use, which date from 2000 or 2001, may simply be too old to use with a card that was released in 2007.
    That's what it's shaping up to look like... Too bad too as these systems all still work great just that they are older tech. So much for trying to re-purpose any of them...

Originally Posted by usually_quiet View Post
    There were lots of differences between the original ATI TV Wonder PCI card from 2000 and the ATI TV Wonder 650 PCI card from 2007. The ATI TV Wonder 650 PCI card has both an ATSC tuner and an NTSC tuner plus analog capture ports, while the original ATI TV Wonder PCI card from 2000 with no number attached had one analog tuner, period. If I recall correctly, one could use the ATI TV Wonder 650 PCI card's digital tuner and its analog tuner at the same time for recording TV.
    I have a line on a ATI Radeon PCIe system vid card (for like 20$) that is circa about/around the same vintage as the TV Wonder 650. I will throw the Radeon into my higher end test machine (the one with the Quadro FX 4800) and see if ATI system video along with the TV Wonder 650 PCI yields better results as far as caption capture. It's cheap and worth a shot at this point since everything else I have tried up to now to capture consistently clean captions has been a complete and total bust.
    Last edited by thghgv; 13th Mar 2021 at 19:21.
    Quote Quote  
  17. I have a ATI Radeon HD5670 PCIe that I got for 20$ installed in the test machine. Attempting to get some captures done. Completely accurate display/capture of CCdata ensues SO FAR. Not getting hopes up yet as I had similar results with the Nvidia card and the TV Wonder before for short bits of time. So now the system vid card AND capture card are matched ATI branded. We'll see how long good accurate CC capture lasts...
    Quote Quote