VideoHelp Forum
+ Reply to Thread
Thread
  1. Dear friends,
    I have some footage shot on Sony DCR HC90E. It's a mid-2000s Handycam.
    The manual says that the camera can record the videofiles on Memory Stick Duo with 320/240 or 160/122 resolution.
    But I have 640/480 files that were captured with it. Is it due to the encoding or 320/240 is just the recording resolution and 640/480 is the display resolution?
    Can anyone explain this, please?
    Quote Quote  
  2. Capturing Memories dellsam34's Avatar
    Search PM
    640x480 is not a DV resolution so it must be the file on the card, It depends what software you used to transfer the footage, Some software have upscaling settings, So you are the only one who can answer your own question if you remember how you transferred your footage and what settings you used.
    Quote Quote  
  3. Capturing Memories dellsam34's Avatar
    Search PM
    Upon looking at the operation manual, The memory stick is just for stills not for video, You miss understood the manual, So your videos are screwed up at some point, You need to look for the original tapes and re-transfer them again to DV PAL 720x576.
    Quote Quote  
  4. Member
    Search Comp PM
    https://www.sony.com/electronics/support/res/manuals/2548/25483081M.pdf

Page 20 says it can record video onto the Memory Stick Duo ("audio is recorded as mono").

and Page 21 describes how to play MPEGs that have been recorded on the Duo.

Page 68 says you can use USB to transfer "files" (I assume video files as well).

Might pay to try putting the card into a card reader, just drag n drop the video files into your computer.
    Quote Quote  
  5. Originally Posted by Alwyn View Post
    https://www.sony.com/electronics/support/res/manuals/2548/25483081M.pdf

Page 20 says it can record video onto the Memory Stick Duo ("audio is recorded as mono").

and Page 21 describes how to play MPEGs that have been recorded on the Duo.

Page 68 says you can use USB to transfer "files" (I assume video files as well).

Might pay to try putting the card into a card reader, just drag n drop the video files into your computer.
    Thank you Alwyn and dellsam34
    I do not have the camera, I only have the footage. Yes, of course, it can record video on the memory stick. It can record on the mini dv tape AND the memory stick. Some footage from that camera is 720/576 so I guess it was captured on the mini dv tape, but other videos are either 640/480 or 320/240 - my guess is that this is the default display resolution of the camera in its' digital format. Am I correct?
    Quote Quote  
    Search PM
    A dv camera records at dv resolution using a dv stream onto a dv tape and plays that dv stream back out thru a dv cable to capture on a computer as a dv file. Stays the same (720x480 ntsc or 720x576 pal) the whole time.

Some of these cam models also have memory stick capability, and if so those sticks can can have ~sd rez still pictures (jpg) and sometimes lowrez videos (640x480 or 320x240 or less) saved as mpg or mp4, and those often can be transferred to computer via usb, or directly by pulling & reading the memstick. If shot your video only using the memstick I pity you because they will all look like crap.

Scott
    Quote Quote  
  7. Capturing Memories dellsam34's Avatar
    Search PM
    Originally Posted by Vlady217 View Post
    but other videos are either 640/480 or 320/240 - my guess is that this is the default display resolution of the camera in its' digital format. Am I correct?
    Those are not legal video PAL resolutions, Just PC video standards, There is nothing you can do about those crappy videos as cornucopia said, just watch them the way they are, it doesn't matter what the camera defaults too, It's too late now since they've been created and anything you do to them from now on will degrade them further..
    Quote Quote  
  8. Member
    Search Comp PM
    I see no need for all this negativity about Vlady's files; it's not going to achieve anything but just reads unpleasantly. They are what they are and I'm sure they know that.

Vlady, you could check the file's resolution with Windows Properties, or alternatively, install Mediainfo and that will tell you everything you want to know about them.
    Quote Quote  
    Search PM
    Not negative, just realistic. But to be clear, the DV path (always video) is always full D1 rez whereas the other path when doing video is always somewhere less than that. AND much more highly compressed (~20-30:1 or more vs. DV's 5.5:1) Recompression would only make it worse, so "ya gots what ya gots". Probably <VCD quality. I hope it's acceptable enough. my pity was not scorn.

Scott
    Quote Quote  
  10. Guys, thank you all for sharing your wisdom.
    Here's the situation: I have a 720/576 video file (NOT MINE) with criminal activity on it. The PRNU analysis (by an external laboratory) linked the footage to the camera of the suspect (who committed suicide in jail). He used to shoot on Sony DCR HC90E. Both on memory stick AND mini dv tapes. The memory sticks videos got a lower resolution. I'm just trying to understand how 320/240 or 160/122 (manual's defaults of the memory stick resolution) turned to 640/480 (50% of his videos). Was that due to the export settings?

Thank you all once again.
    Quote Quote