VideoHelp Forum
+ Reply to Thread
Thread
  1. Hi all,
    Up until this past Monday, I had no problems logging in to my windows account, but then I received 2 emails from microsoft claiming that there was "suspicious activity" of someone trying to log in to my account and will need to change my password. Well, since then through today I'm still having problems verifying my identity to microsoft. I've called, (go ahead and try to get a "human" to speak to, impossible) and they claim that they aren't privy to my personal information that it's locked in a secure location away from human eyes. I try telling them that the Option to verify my identity is by phone but, the problem is that it is a text message and not a recorded message with the code. I have a landline phone that doesn't accept text messages. So, I figure, Ok, I'll just change the method from a text to a phone call or email, nope, they can't do anything. So they have me go online to fill out a "recovery form" that I've must've filled out a dozen or more times, each time getting a email saying that the information is "insufficient". I've tried every combination of info I can remember from my 20 year account. Presently I'm still logged in to the account but, I can't log out because once I do, I'll be up shit's creek, so I'm forced to put my computer in "hibernation mode". Oh and most importantly, my inbox has been disabled. So, is there possibly a "universal code" that someone knows of that will work to allow me access to my account so I can change my password and verify my identity?
    Quote Quote  
  2. Member
    Search PM
    What is going to happen if your power source to the computer is terminated, your computer will turn off and you will never be able to log back into your Windows desktop.

Why are you still using Windows 8.1, man what a disaster, you seriously need to upgrade to Windows 10.
    Quote Quote  
  3. I get lots of emails from Microsoft about suspicious activity too. What puzzles me is they don't seem to know my real name or that I don't have a Windows account. I use Linux exclusively and have my own Linux based mail server.

Brian.
    Quote Quote  
  4. Member
    Search PM
    i never get anything from Microsoft, because i never create any Microsoft accounts on any device, nor do i use any email services belonging to Microsoft.

When my old neighbor bought a new computer not long ago, i went through the setup process only to find that to continue past a certain point i had to either type in my current Microsoft account details, or create an account, which i thought was very poor form, and i could not find any way to avoid it, so i turned off the computer, plugged in a USB with the latest Windows 10 loaded onto it, i booted the computer to load up the new Windows 10, and i then proceeded to wipe the HP windows 10 installation and i completed a custom windows 10 installation, and i managed to bypass the Microsoft account part because i never connected the computer to my internet when prompted, and there was an option to bypass this step anyway.

I love Windows 10, but Microsoft can stick their intrusiveness where the sun doesn't shine.
    Quote Quote  
  5. Originally Posted by EricDraven View Post
    Hi all,
    Up until this past Monday, I had no problems logging in to my windows account, but then I received 2 emails from microsoft claiming that there was "suspicious activity" of someone trying to log in to my account and will need to change my password.
    Sounds like a scam to me. If you've been sending your personal info to some (scam) email address, and/or entering your personal info into some (scam) website, first thing I'd do is go change *all* my passwords for every other online account I have. Seriously. And if you don't have Lastpass or KeePass, get one or both of them *now* and change/save all your passwords.

I do tech support for a living, so a few thoughts off the top of my head:

You need to have a separate administrator account on your home computer right now, and if you only have your "Microsoft Account" as your "admin" account on your computer, change that NOW. If you don't know how to create a separate admin account, PM me.

Then once you've got a separate admin account on your computer, then change all your passwords. PM me if you need further assistance.
    Quote Quote  
  6. This most certainly sounds like a scam. Definitely change your passwords and don't reply to dodgy emails and web forms.
    Quote Quote