VideoHelp Forum
+ Reply to Thread
Thread
  1. I’d like to digitize my family’s Video 8 cassettes. I have a Sony player that has composite-out.
    I bought an analog to digital converter (this one) and an HDMI capture card capable of outputting raw video (YUV2) and (at least according to the seller) 60FPS at 1080p (this one).
    I figured this config would be better than using a cheap "easycap" card.
    But now I’m not so sure… I’ve been reading a lot, but I can’t quite figure out what the best approach would be. My goal is to capture the video with the most details possible and closest to the original analog source in the best format for post-processing. Size doesn't matter, I will ultimately slow-encode using HEVC.
    Some of the issues that have been boggling me: What resolution should I set? Even though the AV-HDMI converter receives PAL, which is of course SD, it has only two output options - 720p and 1080p. So should I just use 720p, which is what the capture card (probably) receives? And what about framerate? Any idea what framerate the AV-HDMI converter outputs? It’s so difficult to find any documentation! Finally, what’s the best way to use ffmpeg (or something else) to produce a lossless file with as many details as possible? Or perhaps I got this all wrong and should have just used the easycap or some other hardware?
    In a nutshell, I found a lot of conflicting information on the best way to archive VHS tapes and get the best material for restoration/AI-assisted upscaling possible. So I would welcome any suggestions...
    Last edited by starry_air; 7th Mar 2021 at 13:23.
    Quote Quote  
  2. Member
    Search PM
    Originally Posted by starry_air View Post
    What resolution should I set? And what about framerate? Finally, what’s the best way to use ffmpeg (or something else) to produce a lossless file with as many details as possible?
    Capture PAL at 768x576i25 with a Lossless Codec like Lagarith or HuffYUV using VirtualDub.
    Which camera do you (plan) to use to digitize the tapes (model number)?
    Quote Quote  
  3. I have this player/recorder: https://www.manualscenter.com/manuals/sony/evc8e-service-manual.html. I've tested it and it works. I probably should clean it somehow, but I should do some reading first, I guess.

I see you're from Germany. Can you recommend a good capture card that's easily available in Europe? Or is my AV-HDMI --> HDMI capture card method good enough?

PS. Isn't PAL 50fps?
    Quote Quote  
  4. Capturing Memories dellsam34's Avatar
    Search PM
    I figured this config would be better than using a a cheap "easycap" card.
    What you are trying to do is worse than easycap, This is an okay digital capture but if you are looking for a proper archiving that you will not regret later, here is what you need to get.
    - A Digital8 or Hi8 camcorder with S-Video out and built in line TBC (yes even for V8 tapes), not that low quality V8 player you have now that have only noisy composite out.
    - A Capture card from the 2000's such as the Pinnacles, under Windows 7 for a better working driver.
    - A lean capture software such as AmarecTV, Capture lossless AVI 4:2:2 and encode later after de-interlacing and frame edge treatment.
    - If you have any issues with some tapes, then come back here for help that may require more hardware.

Again you can keep doing what you intended to do, but that's not the best way as you think.

Some of the issues that have been boggling me: What resolution should I set? Even though the AV-HDMI converter receives PAL, which is of course SD, it has only two options - 720p and 1080p. So should I just use 720p, which is what the capture card (probably) receives? And what about framerate? Any idea what framerate the AV-HDMI converter outputs? It’s so difficult to find any documentation! Finally, what’s the best way to use ffmpeg (or something else) to produce a lossless file with as many
    No you can't change the frame rate, it is set by the capture card according to the format color being captured 29.97 (59.94 fields/s) for NTSC and 25 (50 fiels/s) for PAL/SECAM, Later on when de-interlacing it may get doubled but that's okay. Resolution is always 720x480 NTSC and 720x576 for PAL/SECAM, After digitaizing crop off the the 16 padded black pixels to get near clean 704 horizontal pixels (depends on the source tape). Encode to h.264 codec and mp4 container, keep chroma sub at 4:2:2 and audio @192 Kbps at around 19 Mbps video.
    Last edited by dellsam34; 7th Mar 2021 at 13:26.
    Quote Quote  
  5. I see, thank you, that's very helpful. Could you recommend a device to play V8 with S-Video out that I can hope to get hold of for cheap?

Also, I cannot find any Pinnacle cards for sale over here. Any other brands you'd recommend? Maybe I'll look around and ask about specific models I can find.
    Quote Quote  
  6. Capturing Memories dellsam34's Avatar
    Search PM
    What operating system, MAC or PC?
    What video format the tapes are in? PAL, SECAM, NTSC ?
    Do you have access to ebay? do you have local online ads in your country to buy used electronics? Forum members sometimes sell their equipment, If they know what format you have they may PM you as sales discussion is not allowed in this forum, But at digitalfaq.com there is a market place subforum where you can ask and Lordsmurf sometimes have some stuff for sale.
    Quote Quote  
  7. Windows or Linux. Everything I have is in PAL. I have access to marketplaces with used electronics, but not Ebay specifically (I can order things there, of course, but I'd rather not given high shipping prices and long delivery times). Thanks!
    Quote Quote  
  8. I've seen a couple of cameras for sale, but the manuals don't mention what video output they have. If there is an adapter to a "euroconnector" (SCART?), does it say anything about the format?
    Quote Quote  
  9. Capturing Memories dellsam34's Avatar
    Search PM
    You don't need an adapter, Capture cards have S-Video ports and so do camcorders, unless they are composite out only which is not what you are looking for. You want a camcorder with S-Video out which is the best signal you can extract from a tape.
    Quote Quote  
  10. Ok. Can Hi8 cams play regular video8 tapes?
    Quote Quote  
    Search PM
    There may be an exception, but otherwise I would say that Hi8 decks can always playback normal Video 8 tapes.

Scott
    Quote Quote  
  12. Capturing Memories dellsam34's Avatar
    Search PM
    All Hi8 camcorders are backward compatible with V8 tapes, But not all Digital8 camcorders are backward compatible with Hi8 and V8 tapes.

List of all Sony Digital8 PAL camcorders that can playback Hi8 and V8 and equipped with S-Video out:

DCR-TR7000E User Manual
    DCR-TR7100E User Manual
    DCR-TRV238E User Manual
    DCR-TRV239E User Manual
    DCR-TRV340E User Manual
    DCR-TRV738E User Manual
    Quote Quote  
  13. I found a ccd-tr728e for a reasonable price. It's not on your list, but the info I found says it plays Video 8 and has S-Video out. Is there any reason I shouldn't get it?

Also, would this be a reasonable card to buy? https://www.ebay.de/itm/Pinnacle-Systems-51011560-Excalibur-5-1-PCI-Video-Capure-Card-...oAAOSw9DNgM3vr

Or this? https://www.ebay.de/itm/Pinnacle-Systems-PCTV-Dual-Hybrid-Pro-3010iX-2-x-DVBT/13060968...EAAOSwU9xUSFJt

Or this? https://www.ebay.de/itm/Pinnacle-VHS-Saver-Sichern-Sie-ihre-VHS-Videobander/3533365502...kAAOSwkqJf7MES
    Last edited by starry_air; 8th Mar 2021 at 06:03.
    Quote Quote  
  14. Member
    Search Comp PM
    The Sony TRV-110E will also play Hi8/V8 tapes and has S-Video out. User Manual

No TBC though.
    Quote Quote  
  15. Originally Posted by starry_air View Post
    I found a ccd-tr728e for a reasonable price. It's not on your list, but the info I found says it plays Video 8 and has S-Video out. Is there any reason I shouldn't get it?
    That one has TBC/DNR and S-Video out, it should do the job.
    Quote Quote  
  16. Great, thanks : ) Hopefully it works fine, which I was promised it does... Thanks for the tips : )

Unfortunately I can't find the recommended capture cards (the ATI or H...something) in Europe, only Pinnacle models, but I have no idea which one to choose. I guess will have to do some more reading on that : /
    Quote Quote  
  17. Capturing Memories dellsam34's Avatar
    Search PM
    The list I posted above is for D8 camcorders only, Hi8 camcorders work as well as long as it is built in line TBC, So you got the right one, Hopefully it is in good working condition.
    Quote Quote  
  18. Do you think I should attempt to clean it before using?
    Quote Quote  
  19. Capturing Memories dellsam34's Avatar
    Search PM
    When you receive it leave it at room temperature for few hours to make sure all the condensation is gone, then just do a visual inspection first, Play a tape and go from there if it needs cleaning then do it, Don't use cotton swabs on video heads. The rest of the mechanism is okay to use them.
    Quote Quote