VideoHelp Forum
+ Reply to Thread
Thread
  1. Member
    Search PM
    Hi everyone, I am really stuck and need your help.

For the last 5 years, I've been using ION Video Forever and ArcSoft ShowBiz to convert my VHS tapes with no problem.

Two weeks ago, I updated my laptop and now, when I try to convert my VHS tapes, they keep being jumpy and flickering. I thought that the VHS player was dirty so I cleaned it. Still the same. I tried it on another VHS tape player. The same result. So I thought that it must be the cable and bought another ION Video Forever cable (almost brand new) and... yep, it reacted the same way. I even tried on a newer laptop with the exact same setup trying both the old and new cables and different VHS players and setting up the software/drive... all the same result. What am I doing wrong?

Just to add, it's not the VHS tapes themselves. I had played all the tapes only a month ago and they all worked perfectly. Since this glitch happened, I've tried 5 of the exact same VHS tapes again I had previously seen as fine and they all have the same glitch.

I also bought an EasyCap lead from eBay (I know, but I'm desperate) and it just won't work on my ArcSoft ShowBiz software (it recognises the lead but just shows a black screen with no video options)

I've added a video clip to show you what I mean by "jumpy/flickering".

https://youtu.be/orbJ-Afd6oA

Please help!
    Image Attached Files
    Quote Quote  
  2. Member
    Search Comp PM
    There have been several threads recently from people with similar problems and common to all is that they recently updated their system. The first thing I would try is to roll back the update.
    Quote Quote  
  3. Member
    Search PM
    OMG. That actually worked. Thank you!
    Quote Quote  
  4. Originally Posted by Gemma Wood View Post
    OMG. That actually worked. Thank you!

I have the same issue. How do you delete the latest update? PLEASE?
    Quote Quote  
  5. Originally Posted by zing269 View Post
    There have been several threads recently from people with similar problems and common to all is that they recently updated their system. The first thing I would try is to roll back the update.

how do you disable the new updates?
    Quote Quote  
  6. Do a system restore to just before the update.
    Quote Quote  
  7. Originally Posted by jagabo View Post
    Do a system restore to just before the update.

hey, thanks for the reply, how do i do that? i am not very techy. i just want to digitize my AC/DC vhs bootleg tapes without this terrible shit glitchery from this awful video grabber
    Quote Quote  
  8. i have the same issue. look
    Image Attached Files
    Quote Quote  
  9. Originally Posted by nwodetox View Post
    Originally Posted by jagabo View Post
    hey, thanks for the reply, how do i do that?
    Type "restore" in the Task Bar's Search field. Select "Create a Restore Point". From the dialog select "System Restore" on the "System Protection" tab. Follow the instructions from there. Pick a restore point from just before the update was installed.

Does that flickering happen when capturing a VHS tape? Or just with the decks character generator. The blue screens generated by the deck are often not to NTSC spec and many devices have problems with them. The problem may not happen when capturing a tape.
    Quote Quote  
  10. Originally Posted by jagabo View Post
    Originally Posted by nwodetox View Post
    Originally Posted by jagabo View Post
    hey, thanks for the reply, how do i do that?
    Type "restore" in the Task Bar's Search field. Select "Create a Restore Point". From the dialog select "System Restore" on the "System Protection" tab. Follow the instructions from there. Pick a restore point from just before the update was installed.

Does that flickering happen when capturing a VHS tape? Or just with the decks character generator. The blue screens generated by the deck are often not to NTSC spec and many devices have problems with them. The problem may not happen when capturing a tape.

hey, thanks for your reply back. here's what i got in the photos below. so it appears i have no restore points and i cannot create any either, is it because i have reset my pc numerous times in the past? (its not the best), and this error has happened to my NTSC recorders (in which i idiotically threw away since i thought they went bad) and the now used PAL recorder, (from the MPG i just uploaded for reference) it's a 2 head mono vcr, so that tells me it is indeed this software ArcSoft ShowBiz doing this and not any vcr recorders.... what else can i do??

EDIT: yes this does happen when ripping tapes and it leaves all that jarbled mess in my broadcasts, its very disorienting to my eyes because i rip AC/DC videos, and the quality ranges differently, some are very old bootlegged black and white broadcasts & others are high quality and untouched almost laserdisc dvd like quality, but that jumping flickering crap stays on the screen, even if i dont hit the play button to start the tape
    Image Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Screenshot (226).png
Views:	21
Size:	27.8 KB
ID:	66233  

Click image for larger version

Name:	Screenshot (228).png
Views:	32
Size:	28.6 KB
ID:	66234  

Last edited by nwodetox; 7th Aug 2022 at 12:22. Reason: adding more to what i said
    Quote Quote  
  11. I'm a Super Moderator johns0's Avatar
    Search Comp PM
    If you know the update just uninstall it from programs and features/view installed updates in control panel.
    I think,therefore i am a hamster.
    Quote Quote  
  12. Originally Posted by johns0 View Post
    If you know the update just uninstall it from programs and features/view installed updates in control panel.

well i just tried what you said and it again did not work. unless i am doing something wrong, then i need a video showing me step by step what to do. i went into that directory and tried changing everything, even going to windows 7 and 8 + vista from the settings and still didnt work, i put a tape in, still doesn't work it still jitters
    Image Attached Files
    Quote Quote  
  13. Capturing Memories dellsam34's Avatar
    Search PM
    This is usually Windows updates nuked your capture card driver and it's defaulting some settings to basic windows drivers, usually it's the frame sync part in the driver. You can keep fiddling with Window updates, Or just get a decent capture device with a good driver support, And no I don't have any suggestion for you sorry, this task is getting too complicated for a lot of folks that's why it's called the "rabbit hole" and often suggestions of hardware that work for some may not work for others, This wasn't a problem under Windows 7.

Alternatively try another capture software such as AmarecTV or Vdub. But from the sample above it looks like you have a lot of other problems not just drivers, Mediocre recordings, Mediocre VCR, capturing into mpeg-2 is a hot mess and not recommended nowadays, Back in the day it did make sense to have a mpeg encoder inside the capture card due to limited CPU speed, that is no longer the case now.
    Last edited by dellsam34; 7th Aug 2022 at 22:43.
    Quote Quote  
  14. thank you sam, fking micro$oft
    Quote Quote  
  15. I'm a Super Moderator johns0's Avatar
    Search Comp PM
    Look at your capture card driver in device manager and if its just ms default driver try going back to the previous driver,if that don't work install the manufacturers driver.
    I think,therefore i am a hamster.
    Quote Quote  
  16. i tried, it did not work

i guess i have to get a new grabber, this sucks
    Quote Quote  
  17. Member
    Search Comp PM
    had the same "jumping" problem with two Windows computers using USB to RCA connector converter box. Common element was the ShowBiz from ArcSoft.

Tried rolling back to earlier updates of Windows 8,10 that previous had produced video with no jitter, but this produced no fix.
    I later went to an old XP Cell M90 laptop. It was old and never updated. My old Kworld converter worked with DVP 2.0 software. I then installed ShowBiz and used the DVD maker box from Amazon which uses the device D1528 (?) in the capture menu. Now the jitter/jumping was gone.
    I updated to latest XP update. That put the jitter right back. So the Microsoft updates of OS are what causes the problem. I then did a restore to the old XP version and things work again.

I am told that some people with Windows 10 have done restores back to old versions when jitter was gone and that did not fix problem. There is rumor that certain OS drivers which were updated are not put back to old state when the RESTORE is done. So be careful when you do an update. Maybe do a complete system copy to a hard disk before doing the update. Can never be too careful.
    Quote Quote