VideoHelp Forum

Try DVD-Fab Video Downloader and rip Netflix video! Or Try DVD-Fab and copy Blu-rays! or rip iTunes movies!
+ Reply to Thread
Thread
  1. I thought that MkvToolNix was supposed to be lossless when muxing but when I open an MKV, take the bottom audio track and move it to the top (default) position then remux, the file size goes from 10.2 gigs to 9.3 gigs. So this is obviously not lossless.

Am I doing something wrong? Because every time I do this I lose file size.
    Quote Quote  
  2. If your input is a transport stream then the loss might be:
    a. due to lower container overhead (transport streams can have humongous overheads)
    b. loss of bit rate stuffing.

Not totally sure, cut iirc if you feed content with truehd(ac3) combi-streams only the truehd part is kept.

-> if you want something more qualified, share more details on what you are doing,..

Cu Selur
    users currently on my ignore list: deadrats, Stears555
    Quote Quote  
  3. Originally Posted by Selur View Post
    If your input is a transport stream then the loss might be:
    a. due to lower container overhead (transport streams can have humongous overheads)
    b. loss of bit rate stuffing.

Not totally sure, cut iirc if you feed content with truehd(ac3) combi-streams only the truehd part is kept.

-> if you want something more qualified, share more details on what you are doing,..

Cu Selur
    Ya, the default audio stream to start with is TrueHD Atmos 7.1. The second one is AC-3 5.1. I move the AC-3 to the top(default position) above TrueHD.

This is how it starts.

[Attachment 57652 - Click to enlarge]

I just click and hold the AC-3 track and drag it above the TrueHD Atmos then click "start multiplexing". So by doing this am I hurting the TrueHD Atmos track in anyway?
    Last edited by agon024; 4th Mar 2021 at 15:08.
    Quote Quote  
  4. I'm a Super Moderator johns0's Avatar
    Search Comp PM
    Nope.
    I think,therefore i am a hamster.
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    weird. afaik you can only click/hold and drag a track DOWN the list with mkvtoolnix. and not sure how you got that as a 10gb file as it's 48gb off the disc.
    --
    "a lot of people are better dead" - prisoner KSC2-303
    Quote Quote  
  6. Originally Posted by aedipuss View Post
    and not sure how you got that as a 10gb file as it's 48gb off the disc.
    ffmpeg nightly beta
    Last edited by agon024; 5th Mar 2021 at 13:36.
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    Originally Posted by aedipuss View Post
    afaik you can only click/hold and drag a track DOWN the list with mkvtoolnix
    Actually, I can't remember mkvtoolnix without being able to move tracks both up & down. You can also activate buttons for it in preferences.

[Attachment 57663 - Click to enlarge]
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    Originally Posted by Ennio View Post
    afaik you can only click/hold and drag a track DOWN the list with mkvtoolnix
    Actually, I can't remember mkvtoolnix without being able to move tracks both up & down. You can also activate buttons for it in preferences.

[Attachment 57663 - Click to enlarge]
    thanks but it you still can't click/hold/drag a track and move it up, only down.

[edit] i seem to recall in old versions you might have been able to drag/drop up but it went away awhile ago.
    Last edited by aedipuss; 5th Mar 2021 at 08:43.
    --
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    agon024 what version of mktoolnix are you using? i'd suggest updating to the latest and trying again to see it if makes a difference, as older versions had ways to shrink file sizes that aren't used anymore for compatibility reasons.
    --
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    thanks but it you still can't click/hold/drag a track and move it up, only down.
    You got me doubting. I just checked by adding a mpls from BD ISO which contains both TrueHD with embedded AC3 and DTS-MA. I can move all audio-, video- and PGS tracks independently up and down. Both with the buttons and by dragging. I am on latest version 54.0.0. Only item that won't move is 'chapters'.
    Quote Quote  
  11. Originally Posted by aedipuss View Post
    agon024 what version of mktoolnix are you using? i'd suggest updating to the latest and trying again to see it if makes a difference, as older versions had ways to shrink file sizes that aren't used anymore for compatibility reasons.
    @aedipuss, I am using the most current versions (and I mean current) version 54.0.0.7. And BTW you can move tracks up and down with out a problem (since I've been using it), just not chapters.
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    thanks for letting me know. here all dragging up does is highlight everything on the way up.
    --
    Quote Quote  
  13. Originally Posted by Selur View Post
    This is not true. Mkvmerge just separates the combined track into 2 separate tracks.

https://gitlab.com/mbunkus/mkvtoolnix/-/wikis/TrueHD-and-AC-3
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    LOL - thanks Moritz! in the new v55 i can once again drag and drop up or down.
    --
    Quote Quote