VideoHelp Forum
+ Reply to Thread
Thread
  1. Megamix-LAVFilters-0.74.1-92-x64
    Player: MPC (from this package)
    Projector: Epson EH-TW 9200

I finally exchanged my trusty old computer with an 11 year old Intel Core 760 and Nvidia 1070 to a brand new AMD 5800X and a RTX 3080.
    The old computer used MADVR like a charm (NGU Sharp High), while of course had massive problems with downscaling or high performance settings. Still 23.976, 25/50 and 30/60 were butter smooth.

With my new computer I used the same settings and wanted to go o from there. While the CPU was almost idle at 5% and the GPU at 30%, I had massive stutter in 23.976.
    No problems in 25/50 or 30/60.

In the end I turned off every "trade quality for performance" option and went crazy with NGU Anti-Alias or Sharp in the highest setting. The CPU is still bored at 15%, the picture quality is fantastic, but still stuttering with 23.976.

The stutter is like this: some seconds super smooth, suddenly it stutters. Again super smooth, then some stutter. With stutter I mean that eg smoke or water is looking like 10-15 FPS, (mostly horizontal) scrolling ist like 10-15 FPS.
    No frame drop or any other problem can be seen with crtl+J.

I guess this is only a small setting I did not find so far, but after several hours I come now here to humbly ask for help.
    When my old PC could provide the smoothest output on 23.967, I can't guess why the new computer has suddenly this problem.
    Since I did not change anything with my projector (even the same HDMI cable) it must be a software setting.
    Last edited by DailyLama72; 3rd Mar 2021 at 02:38.
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    Are you actually saying that the issue is only with output via the projector or does it happen also direct to your monitor ?
    Quote Quote  
  3. My monitor can only display 60Hz. When I force a 23.976 movie on 50 or 60Hz on the projector I have the same output quality like on the monitor: kind of smooth, but if course frame repetition due display and source not in sync.
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    I am struggling to find a RTX 3800 GPU. Did you mean RTX 3080 ?

I am inclined to look for a setting on the GPU.
    Quote Quote  
  5. Originally Posted by DB83 View Post
    I am struggling to find a RTX 3800 GPU. Did you mean RTX 3080 ?
    Yes of course, typo. I corrected it in the first posting.
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    I am afraid I can not assist further.

All the reviews I read concern the gaming capabilities of the card. It appears to be a 4K card but can be used with a 1440p monitor (refresh rates would be higher than 60 hz(. It also uses hdmi 2.1.

But I would still persue the documentation. Also this is NOT a cheap card and the manuf should give some form of user support.
    Quote Quote  
  7. I'm almost certain it's not the GPU itself but some setting in MADVR or a problem with the 23/24 Hz modes in windows 10.
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    One final thought.

Did you post here because there was no solution over at the 'official' thread(s) at Doom9 ?

Could it be that with such a new GPU that MADVR is not compliant ?

I do not use it and I suspect my humble PC is even less powerful than your old one. But I have no playback issues either in MPC-HC or VLC with 23.976 video.
    Quote Quote  
  9. It was a MADVR setting: I had to turn off Rendering -> Generals Settings -> Use Direct3D 11 for presentation.
    Finally it's smooth like butter again in 23.976 (and 30/60 and 25/50 still as it was before).

Hopefully I can help someone else here with my findings.
    Quote Quote  
  10. I did not try this, but this is the doom9 solution: https://forum.doom9.org/showpost.php?p=1862365&postcount=2
    If you have a Nvidia 20xx/30xx video card and you encounter micro stutter while using madVR without actually dropping frames, please try the following:
    • In the Nvidia control panel, go to Manage 3D Settings, scroll all the way down and set Vertical Sync to 'On'. You can do this either globally or just for the media player exe.
    • In the madVR settings, go to rendering -> general settings, and uncheck 'enable automatic fullscreen exclusive mode'
    • In the madVR settings, go to rendering -> windowed mode settings, and set 'how many video frames shall be presented in advance' to 1 or a maximum of 3
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    Maybe you should since, to me atleast, it makes more sense to use GPU settings as well.

One the page you linked the following also struck a chord re GRD etc.

• 456.38 2020-09-17 fixes recent HDR issues - "[madVR][MPC-HC]: Various HDR issues occur when using the madVR renderer with MPC-HC. [3038381]" This version or above needed for GeForce RTX 3080 and 3090 "Includes support for GeForce RTX 3080 and 3090
    Quote Quote  
  12. Originally Posted by DailyLama72 View Post
    I did not try this, but this is the doom9 solution: https://forum.doom9.org/showpost.php?p=1862365&postcount=2
    If you have a Nvidia 20xx/30xx video card and you encounter micro stutter while using madVR without actually dropping frames, please try the following:
    • In the Nvidia control panel, go to Manage 3D Settings, scroll all the way down and set Vertical Sync to 'On'. You can do this either globally or just for the media player exe.
    • In the madVR settings, go to rendering -> general settings, and uncheck 'enable automatic fullscreen exclusive mode'
    • In the madVR settings, go to rendering -> windowed mode settings, and set 'how many video frames shall be presented in advance' to 1 or a maximum of 3
    I'd like to thank you for this post... I also experienced the same issue going from 8600k + 3070 to 5800x and 3090. For me it was fixed by just forcing vsync for the player of choice being used with MadVR. Had no problems with projector set to 23.976Hz or 24.000Hz with any other player except when using MadVR. Still don't understand where the problem comes from though... Is it GDDR6x (3080, 3080Ti, 3090, 3090Ti) related problem or something to with AMD + Nvidia? I'm thinking more something wrong with Nvidia..

Running 496.76 DCH drivers
    Quote Quote