VideoHelp Forum
+ Reply to Thread
Thread
  1. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Hello,

I captured a few old VHS Tapes with Pinnacle Studio 24 via Canopus ADVC 300 in 720x576 DV.
    After then I will export the video to mpeg4/ H264. I thought that all my setttings are correct but when I play this on PC the Video is narrower than the original file. But the resolution is 720x576 too. When I play the captured original AVI file here is everything OK only the exported file is narrower and the people seen not natural.

I read many about pixel aspect ratio but I can't understanding this very well

Can You please write me in clearly steps how should I do this ?

1. Capturing in 720x576 to avi
    2. When the captured video is on the timeline I click than on the export and choose the settings mp4 VBR to 6mbs. And the resolution as Original 576x720

Thank You for Your Tipps.

Peter
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    dv has non-square pixels. mp4 has square pixels. to convert 4:3 dv to mp4 change the size to 768x576.
    --
    "a lot of people are better dead" - prisoner KSC2-303
    Quote Quote  
  3. You can also remuxing it only (without reencoding)., specifying a DAR (display aspect ratio) of 4:3 (1.333) at container level.
    Quote Quote  
  4. Member
    Search Comp PM
    aedipus thank You very much for the Info.

Also when I am on the export Tab I should choose CUSTOM and export with 768x576 ok ?

When my client give my a old tapes to digitalize them I should ask him where will he plays the tapes? When he say ma that he will play the tapes on the TV - here should I export with Original size 720x576 and when he say that he will play this on PC Tablets etc ( square format the pixel ) I should make with 768x576... ?

Thank Yoo
    Quote Quote  
  5. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Originally Posted by ProWo View Post
    You can also remuxing it only (without reencoding)., specifying a DAR (display aspect ratio) of 4:3 (1.333) at container level.
    Hello, can You please explain me this method ?

Thank You
    Quote Quote  
  6. You can drag & drop your 720x576 mp4 into mkvtoolnix (into the upper panel), in the lower panel select the videostream and set aspect ratio to 4:3 (in the right panel). Then search Multiplex (into the menu bar) and execute multiplex. The result is a muxed mkv with AR 4:3.
    If you want an mp4 file you can use my clever Ffmpeg-GUI.
    Quote Quote