VideoHelp Forum
+ Reply to Thread
Thread
  1. Hello fellow video editors,
    I'm new here.
    I found some similar threads but not quite exactly what I am looking for.

Is there a software to which I can simply feed an .mp4 or .mkv file and tell it to split into 10, or 20, or 30, or whatever pieces of equal duration?

Thank you so much!
    Quote Quote  
  2. mp4box has a -split time_sec option for mp4

mkvmerge has a --split duration for mkv

The duration will not necessarily be exact, because they split on keyframes (it depends where the source video has keyframes located)

The mkvtoolnix GUI has a split mode box, and drop down options ("after output duration"), but I don't know if any of the GUI's for mp4box have splits built in, so you'd have to use commandline
    Quote Quote  
  3. Originally Posted by poisondeathray View Post
    mp4box has a -split time_sec option for mp4

The duration will not necessarily be exact, because they split on keyframes (it depends where the source video has keyframes located)

The mkvtoolnix GUI has a split mode box, and drop down options ("after output duration"), but I don't know if any of the GUI's for mp4box have splits built in, so you'd have to use commandline
    Wow, thank you very much!
    Quote Quote  
  4. Originally Posted by poisondeathray View Post

They both worked like a charm, thank you again!
    Quote Quote  
  5. Originally Posted by poisondeathray View Post

@Poisondeathray, your software worked wonderfully, thanks.

Now, all the pieces of the master video, when I split it, have equal duration. Is there another solution to make them slightly different, like random duration? Like, I specify the number of pieces I want to split a video into, and then the duration of each piece is random?

Thanks so much.
    Quote Quote  
  6. Originally Posted by drywood View Post

Now, all the pieces of the master video, when I split it, have equal duration. Is there another solution to make them slightly different, like random duration? Like, I specify the number of pieces I want to split a video into, and then the duration of each piece is random?

Not sure;

But if you split by size, chances are the durations will be slightly different if the keyframe placement was adaptive, and the video used variable bitrate . If source video is CBR, fixed GOP length, it won't make a difference

-split-size (in kb for mp4box)

mkvmerge list the options for splitting in the documentation (and the GUI has tool tips when you hover)
    Quote Quote  
  7. Originally Posted by poisondeathray View Post
    Originally Posted by drywood View Post

Not sure;

But if you split by size, chances are the durations will be slightly different if the keyframe placement was adaptive, and the video used variable bitrate . If source video is CBR, fixed GOP length, it won't make a difference

-split-size (in kb for mp4box)

mkvmerge list the options for splitting in the documentation (and the GUI has tool tips when you hover)

Got it, thank you. Those are definitely starting points, appreciated.
    Quote Quote