VideoHelp Forum
+ Reply to Thread
Thread
  1. I have a number of videos taken with cell phones and I'm trying to work out their rotation. Every player I use (VLC, Windows Media Player, Avidemux, even WinAmp, etc) seems to orient them a different way - some right way up, some 90 degrees clockwise, some 90 degrees counterclockwise. I've used tools like MediaInfo to view the metadata and ffmpeg to remove it, but I can't seem to get a consistent result. Obviously some are ignoring the rotation metadata, some are using it and some are apparently using it wrongly. Surely if I remove the rotation metadata entirely, they'll all at least play it in the same orientation? And if I can have it physically rotated to the correct way up and then remove the rotation metadata...they'd all play it the right way up?

What I want to do is have the video the right way up and have all the rotation metadata removed entirely, so that every player will play it right way up. How do I achieve that?
    Quote Quote  
  2. flip as wanted in an editor, then re-encode.

Avidemux ignores the rotation flag: just use the rotate filter and save/re-encode.
    Quote Quote  
  3. Originally Posted by butterw View Post
    flip as wanted in an editor, then re-encode.

Avidemux ignores the rotation flag: just use the rotate filter and save/re-encode.
    Thanks. I did that, and I can see that the rotation flag has now gone from the metadata.

Now if I open the video in Windows Media Player it's fine - but it's still oriented wrongly in VLC. I wanted it to automatically orient correctly no matter what the player was. Did I do something wrong?
    Quote Quote  
  4. Mediainfo Resolution for your file should now indicate, ex: for a 9/16 portrait video, 720x1280, Display aspect ratio: 0.563

It might be you have a rotation filter active in vlc ?
    Try mpc-hc / mpc-be or mpv.

Post a 20s sample clip if the issue persists.
    Quote Quote