VideoHelp Forum
+ Reply to Thread
Thread
  1. I'm a Super Moderator johns0's Avatar
    Search Comp PM
    How many here have pretty well stopped burning/watching videos on a blu-ray/dvd and just watch netflix or/and prime video or other streaming service?Can't remember the last time i watched a video disc,the only reason i have a burner is in case any customer want a family backup disc.
    I think,therefore i am a hamster.
    Quote Quote  
    Search PM
    It doesn't have to be either/or.
    I now watch ~90% streaming, 10% discs (dvd, bd, 3dbd, uhdbd).
    For music it's more like 60/40 - I truly have come back to CDs & LPs. You don't realize what you're missing with compressed material until you go back to uncompressed, and the veil is lifted.

Scott
    Quote Quote  
  3. Might depend on how much of a dyed-in-the-wool archivist your are, and how long you've been doing it. If the Beta vs VHS war is part of your living memories, you probably still have the urge to make/use physical media occasionally. In my case, I'm still collecting episodes of random old TV series from several off-air retro channels, and the easiest way to do that is with the DVD/HDD recorders that have been sitting in my house since 2006. If I didn't already have those, I'd probably employ a method of direct PC capture (but that would technically still be playback from physical media).

Streaming is convenient and portable, but popular demand, rights and licenses shift constantly on vintage titles: here today, gone tomorrow. If you enjoy frequent re-watches of favorites, local physical access for some things will be more important. If you're not a re-watcher and not particularly interested in very old stuff that tends to unpredictably come and go in availability, 100% streaming is much more viable today than it was even a couple years ago. The majority of my family/friends no longer own a disc player, or it collects dust unless/until they want to borrow something from me.
    Quote Quote  
  4. Member
    Search Comp PM
    I have an old Samsung DVD player, I kept a hold of it because it could play AVI Divx/Xvid, also
    out of region discs. It has a DVI connector at the back; anybody had any luck with an HDMI converter?

If I can get that working I may start using it again, but I've been streaming for about 5 years now exclusively.

Had Netflix for a year, Amazon Prime for 18 months, and I'm in the first month of BritBox.

I've quite a lot of content of my PC that I can stream via DLNA; don't bother with any third party tools (Plex, etc)
    just use the Windows built-in server
    Last edited by davexnet; 27th Feb 2021 at 18:29.
    Quote Quote  
  5. I can't remember the last time I pulled out a DVD or Bluray...other than to lend them out.
    Quote Quote  
  6. Member
    Search Comp PM
    I stream some TV shows that have moved from cable to streaming services but still rent or buy most of the movies that I watch on DVD or Blu-ray.
    Ignore list: hello_hello, tried, TechLord, Snoopy329
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    Well I am def 'old school'. Unwittingly did have an Amazon Prime acc for a few months yet never used it (since I never realised I had it) and anything else that I want to watch I have obtained on disk media and only watch from the disk and never rip/transcode.

Of course there could come a time that streaming dictates that disk media becomes totally irrelevant (already seeing some film and even sporting events are only available on streaming) and then I might succumb. Until then...
    Quote Quote  
  8. Member
    Search Comp PM
    I've posted before about how I differentiate between viewing and [I]watching. Viewing is non-critical, usually back/sideview. Watching is sitting with the lights out and intently concentrating on on the video. I'll view videos on Youtube or streaming, currently Discovery Plus or Amazon Prime Video. I'll often use Youtube to watch MVs or snippets from TV shows or movies that I don't want to fire up my hard drives to watch. On the very rare occasion, I'll find something interesting enough on Discovery Plus or Amazon to sit and watch. Otherwise all my watching is from rips or from usually high quality downloads. I don't want to risk my 'watching' interrupted by streaming glitch.

I haven't viewed or watched anything directly from an optical disc in years.
    Quote Quote  
  9. Member
    Search Comp PM
    I haven't completely abandoned optical media but, I'm close, I still have my DVD-Bluray collection, I still have a dual deck Video GO VCR which is gathering cobwebs, I have a Sony DVD recorder, however the vast majority of watching is streaming. I use a dedicated plex server and send to my smart devices, Roku etc. if I find something interesting that is web only, I'll cast it to my Roku etc. The writing is on the wall for optical, there will come a point where you won't be able to purchase blank media.
    It's not important the problem be solved, only that the blame for the mistake is assigned correctly
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    I usually rip or download my movies and TV shows and put them on a PLEX server and stream them all over my house but if it is something I really want to keep I also like to have physical media. A couple of weeks ago we had an ice storm that took out power, phone, and internet for over a week, I live out in a rural area and I used a wood burner and kerosene heater for heat, a propane camp stove to cook, and had a generator for the fridge and deep freezer and a light. Then I managed to hook up 1 TV and BLU-RAY player so the disc came in handy that week.
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    I will never accept streaming as a replacement for physical media, for the same reasons given above. You just can't depend on something actually being there when you want to watch (or re-watch) it, or that it won't get censored or altered to remove whatever doubleplusungood wrongthink someone's got a stick up their butt about this week...
    Quote Quote  
  12. I'm a Super Moderator johns0's Avatar
    Search Comp PM
    I've been using netflix for the last few years and have had less issues with watching whole programs than watching on a blu-ray/dvd player which can freeze or crash etc..
    I think,therefore i am a hamster.
    Quote Quote  
  13. Member
    Search Comp PM
    In a world where almost every single video or movie is indexed by Google, I see no reason to use old generation media.
    I read this argument a lot. Yes, it works for the majority of mainstream movies, but I watch Asian cinema and TV almost exclusively.

I posted here a while back about finally finding a Blu-Ray release of a Hong Kong move that I've only had on VCD, and only once saw offered on Laserdisc for $300. It took over 25 years to finally see this released on Blu-Ray and you won't find it on Netflix or Hulu.

In addition, sometimes though means I can't speak about here, after nearly 30 years, I've managed to complete (to my non-Chinese speaking/reading knowledge) the complete filmography of my favorite Taiwanese actress. Again, a good number of these are not and will never be streamed because of their obscurity.
    Quote Quote  
  14. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Originally Posted by johns0 View Post
    How many here have pretty well stopped burning/watching videos on a blu-ray/dvd and just watch netflix or/and prime video or other streaming service?Can't remember the last time i watched a video disc,the only reason i have a burner is in case any customer want a family backup disc.
    Pretty much the opposite for me. Since ditching Comcast (and the near worthless Mohu Leaf antenna), I have relied on my DVD collection for the past ten years. That also happens to be about when Hollyweird went full throttle into the 'woke' crapola, and since most of the free streaming services (putlockers, 123movies, tubitv, etc.) seem to mostly focus on movies and TV shows done within the last ten years, they offer little I'd want to watch.

I've been using XP Pro for the last 3 or 4 years now, so I've never burned a DVD. It is too difficult on this OS, but I'm in process of moving on to Win 7, which I'm told makes it a lot easier. Unfortunately given Hollyweird's trajectory, I doubt I'll be finding much worth saving to DVD. I mostly use the DVD player for watching DVDs, and the DVD burner in my OptiPlex for running Linux distros in LiveCD mode. Given the past Sony rootkit fiasco, I am careful not to mix'n'match!
    Quote Quote