VideoHelp Forum
+ Reply to Thread
Thread
  1. Goal:
    I am trying to back up some of my original >50 GB UHD discs to 50 GB BD-R DL discs so I can play the BD-R and keep the original safe from being scratched and damaged (have some limited edition and out of print rare discs that I want to preserve); however I am running into an issue creating BD spec compliant content - the final m2ts file does not work (see steps taken below), which seems to be due to Handbrake not creating BD compliant output?

I know my Blu Ray player can play backups since I took two of my 1080P original discs and successfully used makemkv to create two full disc backups and burned the BDMV and CERTIFICATE folders to BDR-DL discs using IMgBurn (Mode 1, UDF 2.60) and both of those 1080P discs play fine in my Sony BD player.

The issue occurred when trying to back up one of my UHD discs which is over 50GB sand shrink it to under 50GB for burning on to a BDR-DL as a BD spec compliant disc:

Step 1: I used makemkv to create an mkv file by selecting one title of the original disc - one title in its entirety (i.e. kept all subitems checked - e.g. other audio streams under that one title).

Step 2: I then used Handbrake to shrink the above mkv to under 50GB.
    Note - This where I think the issue lies - It appears Handbrake is NOT creating BD spec compliant mkvs (at least not for my UHD Atmos test disc) that could then be remuxed back into BDMV and CERTIFICATE folders using TsMuxeR ''Blu Ray folder' options - Blu ray ISO'' is an alternative) - see step 3 below.

Step 3 - I use TSmuxeR to take the shrunken mkv and remux it to create BDMV and CERTIFICATE folders.

The issue is the resulting m2ts file is not working when I used Handbrake to shrink the UHD mkv to under 50GB.
    I ran tsMuxer on the full size mkv as well as a test (i.e. NOT shrunken / NOT processed by Handbrake - i.e. skipping step 2) and that non shrunken m2ts works fine after running the mkv thru TsMuxeR, so it appears the issue is with Handbrake not working for my situation.

Note - I am using TsMuxerGui version git-a50c2c5 (from title bar of the app).

As a test, I tried DVDFab trial. 'UHD Copy' on the same UHD original disc and the BD-R DL it created works well in my BD player (although fast forwarding is not working right). However a lifetime license is not cheap especially if I also need Cinavia which is a separate package it appears (still considering it since it is very fast and straight forward - single tool does it all and had a BD50 setting built in and it shrinks the disc yet still retains menus / special features etc.).

My question, assuming of my assessment about Handbrake being the culprit is correct (please confirm if am right), is the following:
    Is there a (simple) FREE alternative tool to Handbrake to shrink >50 GB UHD mkvs down to under 50GB while still creating BD disc spec compliant output (i.e. m2ts file in BDMV stream subfolder etc) that plays in a home BD player...

Does BD Rebuilder shrink mkv files so they are BD compliant and can be remuxed into Blu Ray folders using TsMuxeR?
    Last edited by njweb; 24th Feb 2021 at 11:35.
    Quote Quote  
  2. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Originally Posted by njweb View Post
    Goal:
    I am trying to back up some of my original >50 GB UHD discs to 50 GB BD-R DL discs so I can play the BD-R and keep the original safe from being scratched and damaged (have some limited edition and out of print rare discs that I want to preserve); however I am running into an issue creating BD spec compliant content - the final m2ts file does not work (see steps taken below), which seems to be due to Handbrake not creating BD compliant output?

I know my Blu Ray player can play backups since I took two of my 1080P original discs and successfully used makemkv to create two full disc backups and burned the BDMV and CERTIFICATE folders to BDR-DL discs using IMgBurn (Mode 1, UDF 2.60) and both of those 1080P discs play fine in my Sony BD player.

The issue occurred when trying to back up one of my UHD discs which is over 50GB sand shrink it to under 50GB for burning on to a BDR-DL as a BD spec compliant disc:

Step 1: I used makemkv to create an mkv file by selecting one title of the original disc - one title in its entirety (i.e. kept all subitems checked - e.g. other audio streams under that one title).

Step 2: I then used Handbrake to shrink the above mkv to under 50GB.
    Note - This where I think the issue lies - It appears Handbrake is NOT creating BD spec compliant mkvs (at least not for my UHD Atmos test disc) that could then be remuxed back into BDMV and CERTIFICATE folders using TsMuxeR ''Blu Ray folder' options - Blu ray ISO'' is an alternative) - see step 3 below.

Step 3 - I use TSmuxeR to take the shrunken mkv and remux it to create BDMV and CERTIFICATE folders.

The issue is the resulting m2ts file is not working when I used Handbrake to shrink the UHD mkv to under 50GB.
    I ran tsMuxer on the full size mkv as well as a test (i.e. NOT shrunken / NOT processed by Handbrake - i.e. skipping step 2) and that non shrunken m2ts works fine after running the mkv thru TsMuxeR, so it appears the issue is with Handbrake not working for my situation.

Note - I am using TsMuxerGui version git-a50c2c5 (from title bar of the app).

As a test, I tried DVDFab trial. 'UHD Copy' on the same UHD original disc and the BD-R DL it created works well in my BD player (although fast forwarding is not working right). However a lifetime license is not cheap especially if I also need Cinavia which is a separate package it appears (still considering it since it is very fast and straight forward - single tool does it all and had a BD50 setting built in and it shrinks the disc yet still retains menus / special features etc.).

My question, assuming of my assessment about Handbrake being the culprit is correct (please confirm if am right), is the following:
    Is there a (simple) FREE alternative tool to Handbrake to shrink >50 GB UHD mkvs down to under 50GB while still creating BD disc spec compliant output (i.e. m2ts file in BDMV stream subfolder etc) that plays in a home BD player...

Does BD Rebuilder shrink mkv files so they are BD compliant and can be remuxed into Blu Ray folders using TsMuxeR?
    try the tip in post #6 - https://forum.videohelp.com/threads/297352-Shrinking-MKV-file
    Quote Quote  
  3. try the tip in post #6 - https://forum.videohelp.com/threads/297352-Shrinking-MKV-file[/QUOTE]

Thanks a lot. Will look into it!
    Someone also suggested splitting the video and audio using Handbrake for video only. So that is also an option it seems.
    Quote Quote  
  4. I'm a Super Moderator johns0's Avatar
    Search Comp PM
    You don't need to split the video only since handbrake can bypass the audio and keep the original one.
    I think,therefore i am a hamster.
    Quote Quote  
  5. Originally Posted by johns0 View Post
    You don't need to split the video only since handbrake can bypass the audio and keep the original one.
    Thanks! I think the reason the person suggested to remove the audio from Handbrake is to add it in only in the TsMuxerR step to ensure the final output is compliant with the spec.
    Quote Quote  
  6. I am getting the error 'track 1 was not recognized and ignored' when I bring the original mkv into TsMuxeR, so TsMuxeR does NOT seem to properly support 7.1 True HD Atmos assuming MakeMKV created it properly.

I just opened the mkv in makemkv and makemkv DOES see the 7.1 True HD (i.e. Atmos) track...
    BUT it looks like the issue is due to "lack of AC3 core":
    https://github.com/justdan96/tsMuxer/issues/256
    In that issue thread, someone states "tsMuxer (and mpeg-ts generally) does not accept TrueHD without AC3 core."

I also found this related post:
    https://www.makemkv.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=1&t=1568&sid=0f798c4806fdd2157c0431dbdc9e2006&start=30
    QUOTE from the above makemkv forum thread by another member: "On a native blu-ray M2TS container the TrueHD, and AC3 Core are bundled into a single track for compatibility. If I use MakeMKV they get split up into two separate tracks, which ruins the ability to go back to a proper M2TS container if need be. It could also be a problem for any device that doesn't automatically failover to the next audio track. I'd like to see MakeMKV maintain the original track integrity to allow for backwards compatibility and future flexibility."
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    tsMuxer absolutely does support TrueHD 7.1 + Atmos. There is no "core" in TrueHD (with or without Atmos). Because of legacy reasons (UHD-)BD specs mandate an embedded AC3 track within TrueHD. So, what you want to do is load the rip from your disc and add the original TrueHD track from that.

As one track, mkv container can't have this embedded AC3 track interleaved with TrueHD. Therefore, when you open a BD disc containing TrueHD with MakeMKV, you have the option to mux either one, or both, but as separate tracks.
    Quote Quote