VideoHelp Forum
+ Reply to Thread
Thread
  1. Hi,
    I have CCD-TRV11E cam recorder connected to ADVC-100 with 1 video cable and 1 audio cable (this camera only supports mono audio), The ADVC-100 is connected to IEEE 1394 VIA firewire card which is in a machine running Windows 7 32bit.

The firewire is recognized the OS, and also there is a "Imaging Device" in the Device Manager that is called "AVC Compliant DV Tape Recorder/Player" which is probably the ADVC-100.

I tried to use HDVSplit which doesn't recognize cam recorder, and WinDV that recognizes "Microsoft DV Camera and VCR" device, but I can't see preview of the video from the cam recorder nor capture the video using the capture button, I also tried OBS Studio and also I can't see any preview or capture there.

What is the problem?

Thanks.
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    HDVSplit will not work since that is for HD-DV. The two programs recommended are SC-Live and WinDV.

1.Assuming that the output from the camcorder is composite, I trust that you have the video cable going to the yellow(far right looking from front) connector on the ADVC (White and Red are for audio)
    2. Have you tried to toggle the silver button on the top of the ADVC to switch from digital to analog input.
    3. VIA chipsets are suspect even with Win7 but ensure that you do have the correct, and most up to date, driver for the card.
    Quote Quote  
  3. Originally Posted by DB83 View Post
    HDVSplit will not work since that is for HD-DV. The two programs recommended are SC-Live and WinDV.

1.Assuming that the output from the camcorder is composite, I trust that you have the video cable going to the yellow(far right looking from front) connector on the ADVC (White and Red are for audio)
    2. Have you tried to toggle the silver button on the top of the ADVC to switch from digital to analog input.
    3. VIA chipsets are suspect even with Win7 but ensure that you do have the correct, and most up to date, driver for the card.
    1. that is correct.
    2. yes, i tried without success.
    3. I used legacy VIA driver, the device is being recognized as "AVC Compliant DV Tape Recorder/Player" i think that indicates that the firewire driver is fine.

I also tried using Windows 10 (with regular driver not legacy) on other computer with VEGAS, didn't work also.
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    Link to the firewire card make/model ?
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    Also check that the camera is not at fault by connecting it direct to a composite video playback source.
    Quote Quote  
  6. Originally Posted by DB83 View Post
    Link to the firewire card make/model ?
    https://www.aliexpress.com/item/32749028218.html
    Click image for larger version

Name:	HTB1qykfnYsTMeJjSszdq6AEupXa1.jpg
Views:	51
Size:	32.0 KB
ID:	57545

Originally Posted by DB83
    Also check that the camera is not at fault by connecting it direct to a composite video playback source.
    The output works, I checked with poor quality usb capturing card.
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    What is this 'Legacy VIA Driver' ? Win7 should support firewire with no addit driver. A legacy driver is sometimes requires for Win10 systems.

But also do a forum search on VIA firewire chipsets. I do recall reading issues with these. Texas Instrument (TI) chipsets are better but cards are much more expensive that what you appear to have paid.
    Quote Quote  
  8. Originally Posted by DB83 View Post
    What is this 'Legacy VIA Driver' ? Win7 should support firewire with no addit driver. A legacy driver is sometimes requires for Win10 systems.

But also do a forum search on VIA firewire chipsets. I do recall reading issues with these. Texas Instrument (TI) chipsets are better but cards are much more expensive that what you appear to have paid.
    I can buy better firewire card, but I need to be sure the problem is the firewire card, However the ADVC-100 is recognized as "AVC Compliant DV Tape Recorder/Player" which can indicate that the cheap via card is working fine, unless there are known problems in the past in which although the device is recognized it fails to capture/preview.

About the legacy driver on windows 7, I installed driver which has (Legacy) in the end of its name, this was done to eliminate possible solutions.
    Last edited by Kalisto; 26th Feb 2021 at 16:51.
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    There is no guarantee that another card solves the issue.

I suggested, and repeat, that you do a forum search for 'VIA firewire'. You will then appreciate that the chipset can work for external hard drives but not always for DV transfer. And the same topics will suggest cards with TI chipsets.

But installing a driver when one was not required could well have contributed to the issue. However, you can go back to device manager and advise what you see under the driver tab having selected the host controller. For reference my Win7 driver is dated 2006. My firewire is mb-based and is a TI chipset.
    Quote Quote  
  10. I would suspect anything purchased from Alibaba. They make even eBay look reputable. I would stick to more proven sources, like Amazon or Newegg.
    Quote Quote  
  11. Originally Posted by DB83 View Post
    There is no guarantee that another card solves the issue.

I suggested, and repeat, that you do a forum search for 'VIA firewire'. You will then appreciate that the chipset can work for external hard drives but not always for DV transfer. And the same topics will suggest cards with TI chipsets.

But installing a driver when one was not required could well have contributed to the issue. However, you can go back to device manager and advise what you see under the driver tab having selected the host controller. For reference my Win7 driver is dated 2006. My firewire is mb-based and is a TI chipset.
    I received the TI chipset card, I got the same problem using it.
    Quote Quote  
  12. Capturing Memories dellsam34's Avatar
    Search PM
    Have you tried ScenalyzerLive? Also change the firewire cable and make sure the ports are clean and not bent or broken.
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    re the post you quoted above. Can you respond to the last paragraph re Controller driver etc.
    Quote Quote