VideoHelp Forum
+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 2
FirstFirst 1 2
Thread
  1. I've never heard of a price that high.

The business that transferred the 1930s Germany film was Dac Video. They are where The Smithsonian Channel gets all their historic footage transferred. If you've ever watched that channel you know that a large part of their broadcast day is spent showing historic movie film and still photos. Here is a link to the Dac site:

https://www.dacvideo.com/

Their site is, unfortunately, moribund because of Covid.

Here is a pricing sheet from another site that uses a Cintel:

https://www.posthouse.com/pricing

Their pricing for 8mm/Super 8 is a little difficult to figure out, but I think it is $0.50/foot.

This place charges $0.37/foot, including timing (color and gamma correction) for each scene.

Of course, there are a la carte options on any of these rate cards that could push the price upwards.

However, I've never, ever seen $0.90/foot quoted.

On a different topic, I have attached two still images, one from the transfer I made, using my own-design transfer system, and the other from Dac Video, prior to my sending it to The Smithsonian Channel. Their transfer is better, but if you zoom in and do comparisons, you will actually not find any additional detail, even though theirs looks crisper. Also, they have a lot more noise. On the other hand, my transfer has some horizontal artifacts because of how my transfer system combines fields from a video camera capturing from a 24 fps projector, while throwing away both the pulldown field as well as redundant fields.

Originally Posted by bbmaster123 View Post
    oh sorry I just assumed you knew I meant avi with huffyuv compression, I know I said uncompressed but I just meant not mp4. Im all up to speed on codecs and such
    FYI, MP4 is NOT a codec and can, in fact, contain lossless video. It is simply a container. Most often people use ah h.264 codec within the MP4 container, but the two are quite independent of each other.
    Image Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Test - Pro transfer.png
Views:	80
Size:	2.15 MB
ID:	57576  

Click image for larger version

Name:	Test - Meyer transfer.png
Views:	32
Size:	992.0 KB
ID:	57577  

Last edited by johnmeyer; 28th Feb 2021 at 23:03. Reason: added comment about attached pictures
    Quote Quote  
  2. I've never heard of a price that high
    The canadian dollar is 78 cents USD right now, so these guys are charging about 73 cents/foot for their wetgate, and around 29 cents USD for without the wetgate. I'll check out the ones you linked, they sound good.

you will actually not find any additional detail, even though theirs looks crisper. Also, they have a lot more noise.
    yea I like their transfer, the first image. Getting that would be worth it to me. Looks way better IMO. thanks for sharing those!

FYI, MP4 is NOT a codec and can, in fact, contain lossless video. It is simply a container. Most often people use ah h.264 codec within the MP4 container, but the two are quite independent of each other.
    yes yes, I know ahaha, I remux mp4/mkv all the time with mkvtoolnix. By codec I was only referring to HuffYUV but I can see where I didn't convey that well, I should have been more specific :P
    Quote Quote  
  3. I not only totally missed that you are talking Canadian dollars, but didn't realize the Canadian dollar was so low compared to the US. I thought you Canucks had gained dollar parity.
    Quote Quote  
  4. Originally Posted by johnmeyer View Post
    I not only totally missed that you are talking Canadian dollars, but didn't realize the Canadian dollar was so low compared to the US. I thought you Canucks had gained dollar parity.
    No worries, I'm sure it was late for you too!
    Yea its been quite a while since we've had parity. We typically hover around 70-80 cents. I remember around 10 years ago we were about $1.03-1.04 ish.

I haven't gotten to checking your links out yet, I'm at work right now but will definitely check it out when I get home
    Quote Quote