VideoHelp Forum
+ Reply to Thread
Thread
  1. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Hi all. I have been capturing PAL VHS lately (UK and Hong Kong tv broadcasts: commercials, news etc.) as Lagarith (YUV 4:2:2 25fps) and I want to convert it to de-interlaced h264 with the intention of uploading it to YouTube.

I've ran a bunch of tests over the past few days and I'm honestly at my wits end! I've been primarily using Avidemux and Handbreak (I tried Virtualdub but the encoding was painfully slow for some reason).

For Avidemux, I've been using Yadif "Frame: Temporal & spatial check" and "Field: Temporal & spatial check" (the latter of which, I believe is Bob). To me, the frames look identical, however "Field" gives me 50fps and, as I understand, does not lose frames. For Handbrake, I've tried Decomb (default and bob) and Yadif (default 25fps and bob 5-fps) both with interlace detection turned off.

I知 at the point where I don稚 know how to proceed and wonder if I知 wasting my time trying multiple different options and comparing screenshots frame by frame. I was wondering if someone could answer a few questions and set me off in the right direction!

My questions are:
    1. Generally speaking, which software is preferred for lossless to h264 conversion - avidemux or handbreak? From what I can see, Yadif Bob avidemux is slightly noisier than Handbreak Yadif Bob, but Handbreak seems to lose some detail (?!). Is there a consensus as to which is better?

2. What are the recommended deinterlacing settings for Avidemux or Handbreak for PAL VHS to h264 conversion?

3. For Handbreak, what is the difference between decomb default and decomb bob and should I use it or Yadif?

4. Is it advisable to deinterlace to 50fps or keep it at 25fps?

I've searched these forums and others extensively but I can't find any answers relating exactly to my situation.

Thank you!
    Last edited by dave_van_damme; 18th Feb 2021 at 10:56. Reason: Clarity
    Quote Quote  
  2. How do you know they're interlaced? Can you post untouched samples?

Personally, I'd never use Handbrake for deinterlacing (or anything else, for that matter). The available deinterlacers just aren't very good.

Lossless h264 conversion? Are you prepared for enormous file sizes? Not far removed from what Lagarith gives you?
    Quote Quote  
  3. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Originally Posted by manono View Post
    How do you know they're interlaced? Can you post untouched samples?
    Because it's from a VHS tape that I've captured. I've included a sample below.

Personally, I'd never use Handbrake for deinterlacing (or anything else, for that matter). The available deinterlacers just aren't very good.
    What about Avidemux?

I know QTGMC is the preferred method for many people, but I simply do not have time to learn how to script. Plus, I'll be uploading literally hundreds of commercials which I need to edit and export so I need something which will do a decent job without having to write scripts each time. At the end of the day, this is for YouTube, not my own personal archive

Lossless h264 conversion? Are you prepared for enormous file sizes? Not far removed from what Lagarith gives you?
    Yep - prepared for it. I'm using Lossless h264 because the destination is YouTube and I've found that YouTube's horrendous encoder is far kinder to lossless h264 than anything lossy. Once the files are uploaded, they be deleted from my HDD.

Backstory - I've been uploading commercials this way for years, but in the past I always edited them using Power Director. However, at the time I was ripping VHS to DVD and the aspect ratio was retained on PD, but now that I'm capturing via USB with the correct AR, PD has decided it doesn't want to play nicely. Hence, I'm looking towards a different encoder for my files.
    Image Attached Files
    Quote Quote  
  4. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Originally Posted by dave_van_damme View Post
    Hi all. I have been capturing PAL VHS lately (UK and Hong Kong tv broadcasts: commercials, news etc.) as Lagarith (YUV 4:2:2 25fps) and I want to convert it to de-interlaced h264 with the intention of uploading it to YouTube.

I've ran a bunch of tests over the past few days and I'm honestly at my wits end! I've been primarily using Avidemux and Handbreak (I tried Virtualdub but the encoding was painfully slow for some reason).

For Avidemux, I've been using Yadif "Frame: Temporal & spatial check" and "Field: Temporal & spatial check" (the latter of which, I believe is Bob). To me, the frames look identical, however "Field" gives me 50fps and, as I understand, does not lose frames. For Handbrake, I've tried Decomb (default and bob) and Yadif (default 25fps and bob 5-fps) both with interlace detection turned off.

I知 at the point where I don稚 know how to proceed and wonder if I知 wasting my time trying multiple different options and comparing screenshots frame by frame. I was wondering if someone could answer a few questions and set me off in the right direction!

My questions are:
    1. Generally speaking, which software is preferred for lossless to h264 conversion - avidemux or handbreak? From what I can see, Yadif Bob avidemux is slightly noisier than Handbreak Yadif Bob, but Handbreak seems to lose some detail (?!). Is there a consensus as to which is better?

2. What are the recommended deinterlacing settings for Avidemux or Handbreak for PAL VHS to h264 conversion?

3. For Handbreak, what is the difference between decomb default and decomb bob and should I use it or Yadif?

4. Is it advisable to deinterlace to 50fps or keep it at 25fps?

I've searched these forums and others extensively but I can't find any answers relating exactly to my situation.

Thank you!
    Anyone?
    Quote Quote  
  5. Handbrake doesn't detect that your video is top-field-first and deinterlaces as if it is bottom-field-first. So a bob deinterlace with Handbrake produces jerky/flickery video. AviDemux lets you specify the field order so you can get a proper 50p video out of it.

By the way, producing an AviSynth script can be automated with a batch file making it as easy as right clicking on a file and selecting Send To -> BatchName.bat. The batch file can even include the encoding. QTGMC version attached for comparison (no audio).
    Image Attached Files
    Quote Quote