VideoHelp Forum
+ Reply to Thread
Thread
  1. Hi,
    I am processing a lot of 8mm films with film9 and I am noticing that I am getting the white blown out. Here is an example.
    I have played around with the brightness settings, but still no luck. Any suggestions? Image
    [Attachment 57409 - Click to enlarge]
    Quote Quote  
  2. I just saw your message yesterday.

This image has not already been overexposed in scanning?
    If so, there is nothing to do except re-scan.

If not, you may have used autowhite and autogain which tend to create contrasts.
    Personally, I use the contrast and brightness setting to adjust the exposure.
    It is true that this image does not seem to have a very high definition and for me has areas that are too smooth which limit the details.

Regards
    Quote Quote  
  3. I do not use the FILM9 machine, but I do a lot of film transfers with two other devices. The key to any film transfer is to expose for the highlights, even if that makes the shadows a little murky. I use a modified camcorder for my two transfer systems. I enable the zebra function and use the AE +/- adjustment to subtract from the auto-exposure until the zebras disappear from things like white shirts. You'll still have some zebras on specular reflections (like what you get off a car windshield in the sun). Let those blow out. But white shirts should not be a glowing blob.

If your shadows are a little dark you can usually recover almost all the detail in post using a gamma curve which keeps the mid-tone and highlight exposure but gains the shadows. You may have to use a little noise reduction to deal with sensor noise if the shadows are truly dark.

The ideal, of course, is to use a video device that lets you create a custom gamma curve. I thought the FILM9 machine had that, but if not, you can always look into getting a camera which can be adjusted that way.
    Quote Quote  
  4. don't use auto gain, sort that out in your edit, only use auto white, but preview it first to make sure it looks ok.

still too bright? don't use auto gain or auto white and leave the colour settings alone, fix that in the edit and use F9 for cleaning at the end of your editing export.

Keep it simple. You certainly don't have to use every setting in F9 because it's there..
    -------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

I tend to use auto white but not always. I find the auto gain blows things away, so I never use that.

I never use any brightness or colour settings in F9, I do that in edit.

Once my edit/grade is done, I don't want F9 changing it, just cleaning up the film grain and dirts.

A bit of degrain and dirt and sometimes interpolation set to smooth, not film, is my preference for most jobs.

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Video edit can do a much better job of grading and colour balance, you can go scene by scene.

You can't set up scene by scene colour in F9 unless you split your entire video in to scenes and treat them separately, better done in edit.

Use F9 for grain and cleaning and if you like it, interpolation. Keep your colour work in the edit where you have scene by scene control.

That is assuming you are cutting your film in to scenes in the edit, you can't colour grade a reel of cine film as one long reel, it has to be done scene by scene.

I am sure the colour and gain and auto this and that might be ideal for restoring old video tapes, the program is very capable of addressing many problems.

For cine, sort it in the edit and use F9 for a final clean and de grain.
    ------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

If you have limited experience in colour grading, I would suggest watching the 'Art of Colour Grading tutorial' from black magic.

Scroll down the page to find the video, link below.

Watch it, from beginning to end, take notes, to learn how to set black points and gamma and learn how to read scopes and the workflow employed in terms of which process to apply first

Even tho you may not use DaVinci resolve, thier colour grading video will set you on the right path and give you a good understanding to the principles of good colour grades which you can then apply to the software you use to edit.

Then you might find F9 will only be needed for a final clean and dust

https://www.blackmagicdesign.com/uk/products/davinciresolve/training
    Last edited by super8rescue; 20th Feb 2021 at 07:23.
    Quote Quote