VideoHelp Forum
+ Reply to Thread
Thread
  1. i have video file to 2.3GB 116 minutes
    how to split video into 3 equal parts?
    or also split video into 3 parts by time: 40min + 40min + remaining time (36min)
    now i use:
    Code:
    ffmpeg -i input.mkv -ss 00:00:00.00 -to 00:40:00.00 -acodec copy -vcodec copy -y output_1.mkv
    ffmpeg -i input.mkv -ss 00:40:00.00 -to 01:20:00.00 -acodec copy -vcodec copy -y output_2.mkv
    ffmpeg -i input.mkv -ss 01:20:00.00 -to 01:56:00.00 -acodec copy -vcodec copy -y output_3.mkv
    but i would like only one command to split the video. any tips?
    Quote Quote  
  2. This gives 1 character segment numbers:

Code:
    ffmpeg -i input.mkv -f segment -segment_time 2400 -c copy output%1d.mkv
    Note: 2400 seconds = 40 minutes
    Quote Quote  
  3. very nice. many tanxs!

from another site i've found this add-on
    Code:
     -threads 8
    is good idea or not?
    Quote Quote  
  4. The number of threads won't make any difference when not re-encoding. The process is I/O bound, not CPU bound.
    Quote Quote  
  5. ok. and instead it can be useful in the case of only video encoding? (no audio, only video encoding)
    Quote Quote  
  6. ffmpeg automatically picks the number of threads for your CPU every time it starts up. You usually don't have to worry about the setting.
    Last edited by jagabo; 15th Feb 2021 at 12:37.
    Quote Quote  
  7. ok listening to your advice, i don't use this setting!
    tanxs for your tips.
    Quote Quote  
  8. on ffmpeg have pause option during conversion...
    but it's possibile full stop and resume from it was interrupted?
    Quote Quote  
  9. Originally Posted by lomero View Post
    but it's possibile full stop and resume from it was interrupted?
    Not that I know of. But you can run it at low priority so it doesn't interfere with foreground tasks. Start Task Manager and set the priority to Low. Or you can start it with low priority with something like:

Code:
    Start /b /low "title" ffmpeg rest of command line
    Quote Quote  
  10. thank you, but that's not my problem.
    the thing is, sometimes it takes about 40 minutes for a code. if i don't want to wait for the end, i wanted to know if there was a way to stop and then resume.
    this is because if i have to leave and then i hibernate the pc, if i have a coding in progress, even if on pause, the time for hibernation increases.
    important is already able to pause the coding process!
    Quote Quote  
  11. If the input and output files are local you can just use the computer's sleep function. When it wakes ffmpeg will continue running.
    Quote Quote