+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 2
FirstFirst 1 2
Thread
  1. Originally Posted by sasouna View Post
    Originally Posted by johns0 View Post
    Try this file to see if it works.
    Not working on the TV
    No wonder. The new .mkv file is a conflict in itself: Tweaking the level to 4.1 but leaving the framerate at 50fps. The maximum framerate for level 4.1 is 30fps for 1920x1080 resolution.
    One can usually not make wine from vinegar (or vice versa) by just exchanging the label of the bottle. One can always try, of course
    Quote Quote  
  2. I'm a Super Moderator johns0's Avatar
    Search Comp PM
    The newer tvs can play 1920x1080 at 50/60 fps as i mentioned but the older one are limited to 30fps.
    I think,therefore i am a hamster.
    Quote Quote  
  3. Originally Posted by johns0 View Post
    The newer tvs can play 1920x1080 at 50/60 fps as i mentioned but the older one are limited to 30fps.
    Ok, so I read somewhere that changing fps for the video would affect the audio sync.
    Is that true?
    Quote Quote  
  4. Originally Posted by sasouna View Post
    Originally Posted by johns0 View Post
    Ok, so I read somewhere that changing fps for the video would affect the audio sync.
    Is that true?
    It depends on how you do it. The method I gave earlier does not cause audio sync problems.
    Quote Quote  
  5. Originally Posted by sasouna View Post
    Is that true?
    That's true, if you change not only the fps, but the video length too. But if you change your fps from 60 to 30, then every second frame is dropped and the length/duration remains the same.
    Quote Quote  
  6. Originally Posted by jagabo View Post
    It depends on how you do it. The method I gave earlier does not cause audio sync problems.
    Originally Posted by ProWo View Post
    That's true, if you change not only the fps, but the video length too. But if you change your fps from 60 to 30, then every second frame is dropped and the length/duration remains the same.
    Perfect!

Thank you.
    Quote Quote  
  7. Originally Posted by sasouna View Post
    Originally Posted by jagabo View Post
    Originally Posted by ProWo View Post
    Perfect!

Thank you.
    And note that the sample you posted has 50 frames per second but every pair of frames is identical. So you're not losing any motion smoothness by reducing the frame rate to 25 fps. If it had been live sports (which truly has 50 different frames every second) you would noticed a drop in smoothness after converting to 25 fps.
    Quote Quote  
  8. Originally Posted by jagabo View Post

And note that the sample you posted has 50 frames per second but every pair of frames is identical. So you're not losing any motion smoothness by reducing the frame rate to 25 fps. If it had been live sports (which truly has 50 different frames every second) you would noticed a drop in smoothness after converting to 25 fps.
    Great!
    Thank you for all the help
    Quote Quote  
  9. Originally Posted by davexnet View Post
    There was a release of x264 a short while ago that caused problems for some players, r2969.
    see if these play
    Oh!
    I just saw your reply! Sorry

Both videos worked, they contain no audio file though, right?
    Quote Quote  
  10. I have the exact same problem with a Panasonic TV. The media players in these things are not very advanced and very specific. When I hit a file that won't play, I use VLC to convert it. Tedious and lengthy process but it works. The VLC profile H.264 +mp3(mp4) is basic enough to play on anything in my experience.
    Quote Quote  
  11. Originally Posted by Truenorth179 View Post
    I have the exact same problem with a Panasonic TV. The media players in these things are not very advanced and very specific. When I hit a file that won't play, I use VLC to convert it. Tedious and lengthy process but it works. The VLC profile H.264 +mp3(mp4) is basic enough to play on anything in my experience.
    Will keep that in mind!

Thank you
    Quote Quote  
  12. I've advanced a lot since I started this thread. The best so far is to download a copy of Handbrake from this site and convert any videos that can't be played by your standard dumb-normal TV media player. Handbrake has lots of presets but it seems to me thaat anything MP4 or MKV in an X.264 container will work. Also, it's a good idea to convert the audio to stereo.

Quote Quote  
  13. Originally Posted by Truenorth179 View Post
    I've advanced a lot since I started this thread. The best so far is to download a copy of Handbrake from this site and convert any videos that can't be played by your standard dumb-normal TV media player. Handbrake has lots of presets but it seems to me thaat anything MP4 or MKV in an X.264 container will work. Also, it's a good idea to convert the audio to stereo.

Always helpful to know many ways to do things.

Thanks a lot
    Quote Quote  
  14. And Handbrake is way faster and much more powerful than VLC.
    Quote Quote  
  15. Just wanna add that for the videos that won't play, your idea of using FF.mpeg to convert them into a more compatible format is a good approach. You might want to consider transcoding the videos to a format that's known to work well with your TV, like H.264 in an MP4 container. Make sure to adjust the codec parameters and container settings accordingly.

As for the audio and video combination, ensure that you're using compatible audio and video codecs within the same container format. Using FFmpeg, you can try commands like: ffmpeg -i input_video.mp4 -i input_audio.m4a -c:v copy -c:a copy output_combined.mp4.

By the way, Multitechverse might have some valuable insights or tools related to multimedia technology that could help you with your video conversion endeavors.
    Last edited by msdevelish; 30th Aug 2023 at 07:20.
    Quote Quote  
  16. But of course if it's an old TV you are stuck with conversions. Get yo ass off to costco and upgrade the TV
    Quote Quote  
  17. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Originally Posted by Truenorth179 View Post
    But of course if it's an old TV you are stuck with conversions. Get yo ass off to costco and upgrade the TV
    I looked at this thread earlier today but did not bother answering once I discovered that it originally ended in 2021.

Regarding your answer, the TV isn't a model sold in N. America, so Costco is not likely to be an option.
    Ignore list: hello_hello, tried, TechLord, Snoopy329
    Quote Quote  
  18. Originally Posted by Truenorth179 View Post
    But of course if it's an old TV you are stuck with conversions. Get yo ass off to costco and upgrade the TV
    Or buy a media player. Even US$20 devices can play 4K with h.264, h.265, vp8, vp9...

https://www.walmart.com/ip/onn-Google-TV-4K-Streaming-Box-New-2023-4K-UHD-resolution/2835618394

About the only thing that's missing in the cheapest devices is the AV1 codec.
    Quote Quote